Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,593 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else impressed with the way SC handled Matthew? I thought they gave plenty of time for everyone to get out and made the call early so people could board up their houses and find refuge. Everyone I talked to had minimal delays in traffic. 6 hour trip took 9 was the worst I heard for SC. The lane reversals seemed to work well and gridlock was non-existent. Anyways, I was impressed. Still no Comcast TV though. They are the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 05:46 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,237 times
I think they did well, especially considering the weirdness and ever changing track of the storm. I was impressed with Gov. Haley's news conferences and updates - she really had all the bases covered.

We just got comcast back yesterday - and are actively exploring other options for cable.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 AM

727 posts, read 715,896 times
Yes, yes, yes! I posted this elsewhere and will recycle it here:

I have to say I am very impressed with the way SC handled hurricane Matthew. Warnings, evacuations,shelter openings, sandbag distribution, interstate lane reversals, evacuation routes, school closings and store closings began days ahead of the storm. Current information was available on a multitude of platforms ahead of, and during the event. The Governor and emergency operations officials gave timely and accurate press conferences. The state and local leadership was outstanding. There was damage to property, but so far, I'm hearing there was no loss of life in SC. {this changed from original post. There were 2, I think?} There are still power outages but it looks like about half have already been restored. Looting was minimized thanks to law enforcement and curfews.

We were very fortunate in our (apparently charmed) corner of Summerville. No damage to house or trees and no flooding in the subdivision. We lost power for awhile, but that was the worst of it. We were prepared thanks to all of the advance notice. We were able to make an informed decision that it was safe to stay, thanks to all of the information provided.

I don't even have any exciting pictures to share, unless you want to see leaves and tree scraps in the yard!

Just looked out and the USPS is delivering today, on Sunday, because they missed a couple of days. wow!

Thinking about all our NC friends and hoping they come through this safely.

As for cable/digital phone/internet we have TWC and as long as the power was on, everything functioned well. Rates are high, but I cannot complain.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
MtP ran out of sandbags and sand in less than 4 hours. But that's no reflection on how the State did.

The only thing I didn't like was the lane reversals the highway patrol would not let people get off the normal lanes to move to the reversed lanes to balance traffic. We hit some snarl ups where the reverse lanes had very little traffic. Getting off the interstate to move to the other side, the HP wouldn't let you on. I can understand the danger in not allowing people to get off that side, but I fail to see the issue with allowing people to get on the reversed side.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,653 times
The state did a remarkable job considering the growing population and difficulty with moving that many people on the limited road access we have here. It's sad to have any loss of life but it was minimal in SC due to the superior management of the state government agencies in warning and evacuating people. Nikki for president!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
The state did a great job. The state government acted like this is a yearly occurrence and showed quick prep. After last years floods they weren't gonna play around, even if residents did. Kudos.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:45 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
There has been some criticism of Beaufort County not reopening the entire county until 9pm Sunday evening versus opening parts of it as time went on.

One example is they kept Rte 278 closed at the county line when less then a few miles in off of Rte 278 there were many large housing developments (like Sun City) that were just fine to open on early Sunday.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 AM

973 posts, read 915,165 times
Overall they did a great job. Haley was on top of it.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There has been some criticism of Beaufort County not reopening the entire county until 9pm Sunday evening versus opening parts of it as time went on.

One example is they kept Rte 278 closed at the county line when less then a few miles in off of Rte 278 there were many large housing developments (like Sun City) that were just fine to open on early Sunday.
This is probably valid criticism and they can learn from it.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 AM

657 posts, read 738,852 times
The other problem was not telling people on 526 that they couldn't pass I-26. I heard stories of Mt. P people trying to go to the airport and being forced onto 26 and missing flights. I also agree with having more cross overs to the reversed side.
All in all though, Kudos to Haley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area