Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM

123 posts, read 571,191 times

Advertisements

We're planning to move the contents of our 1 bedroom apt (900 sq ft jam packed) from Brooklyn to James Is. this spring. If we were 20 yrs younger, we more than likely might just rent a U-Haul truck, get friends and relatives to help, and move ourselves. However, due to physical problems and hectic schedules, that's not an option. We also need most of the packing done by this company. I plan to hire movers soon but I'm wondering if, in my search for a company, I should stick with the major carriers, like Bekins or Allied. Of course, I'm concerned about cost, but more concerned about reliability. Therefore, we're willing to spend more money for a move that is as efficient and painless as possible.

I'm assuming a lot of you made the move to Charleston this way. What were your experiences like? I'm especially eager to hear from people who moved to Charleston from the Tri-State Area. However, any stories and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,355 times
I used as local a guy as I possibly could, with references, with a knowledge of Charleston.

Here's a hint.
If they ask "Is it downtown Charleston?"

They've been here & learned the hard way.
jim

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
I used ABF which is a trucking company that handles commercial freight but also sells spaces on their trucks to consumers for moving and competes with UHaul. Unlike with UHaul where YOU drive, with ABF, THEY drive and pay for gas and tolls. You pay only for the space (not even the weight) your stuff takes up on the trailer. For loading and unloading, you can hire professional movers. Albertons Movers out of Texas links to the ABF website altho ABF does not recommend them. I called them and they gave me a great sales pitch about how good they were and how well the truck would be packed etc. I decided to hire them just for loading because they seemed REALLY expensive but thought it might be worth it to have the truck well loaded by experienced movers. At the delivery end I hired a local company to unload (and save money). As things turned out, the movers that unloaded discovered the loading job was sub-par and multiple items got damaged due to poor loading.

People that hire ABF and have friends help them load and unload really save big $$$ but I still saved even after paying the movers at both ends about 30% over what a full priced/ full service mover would have charged.

Granted, there may have been less stress and srain with the full service movers but it was NICE not having to drive the truck or have friends load and unload and still be able to save.

I'm still waiting to see how much of the claim Albertson's will pay me for (which turned out to exceed the cost of their charges for the move).

I have no complaints with ABF. You take your chances with whomever you hire to load and unload.

One last important item: The City of Charleston does NOT allow big trailers downtown due to the narrow width of the streets. If you are moving downtown, what happens is that they will go as far as their terminal (usually somewhere in N. Charleston) and then you can get a friends or a handyman with a pick-up to make trips back and forth to unload the trailer bringing your stuff in the small pick-up to your place downtown.

Last edited by emilybh; 02-26-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
I'm assuming a lot of you made the move to Charleston this way. What were your experiences like? I'm especially eager to hear from people who moved to Charleston from the Tri-State Area. However, any stories and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Oh right moving...To sum up our experience, "I would rather be thrown down a flight of stairs then trampled upon by a heard of hungry wild elephants" then make that move again! Have you seen the movie "funny farm" with Chevy Chase?? That was us...

Best of luck though...And eventually welcome to Charleston......

Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Oh right moving...To sum up our experience, "I would rather be thrown down a flight of stairs then trampled upon by a heard of hungry wild elephants" then make that move again! Have you seen the movie "funny farm" with Chevy Chase?? That was us...

Best of luck though...And eventually welcome to Charleston......
And that's why I'm shopping for movers now! I've got 2 different companies coming to the apt to give me estimates this week and early next week. We've already leased an apartment on Camp Rd to alleviate the hassle of having to put our belongings in storage; we'll still have about a month to go after closing on the sale of the Brooklyn apt (Apr 1), to tie up loose ends here while staying with relatives. So we want to make it all as painless as possible. If all goes "smoothly" all we'll have to do that last week in April will be to pile our clothes and animals in the van and roll on down 95 for SC.

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. This move is turning out to be quite a wonderful adventure for us. And the closer we get to the actual move, I'm learning not to be so nervous about it. It's amazing that once we "voiced" what we wanted with this move, making it reality in our minds, it's all fallen into place with "as little" action as a few phone calls, emails and faxes. There's something to be said for the wonders of modern technology!

Anyway, I'm so excited that my skin is about to fly away! In addition to all this, I just got a confirmation letter in the mail yesterday from my school saying I've earned my masters degree; a struggle for anyone who's middle aged and working. Therefore, I'm excited to begin this new chapter, an adventure really, in what's turning out to be a continuously-evolving life.

Thanks for listening to my chatter.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
I just got a confirmation letter in the mail yesterday from my school saying I've earned my masters degree;
Congratulations! I'm sure it wasn't easy & I hope it brings you success down here in SC.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks, baylovers. BTW, Woods & Sons is sending Richard on Tues to give us an estimate.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:06 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times
Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
Congrats Nuevaluz, I know that's a lot of hard work finally paid off!!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks guys. I'm just glad to have my life back again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area