Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM

263 posts, read 276,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Called it. Wonder if BJs will back out now.
They can't. They have the foundation already finished and already have memberships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,387,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
They can't. They have the foundation already finished and already have memberships.
Doesnt mean theyll be a hit. Didnt work in Greenville. They had one over 8-10 years ago and they had the leg up over Sams and Costco. Once they moved in, BJ's was out.

And they had announced their first Columbia location and was ready to roll, but then came Sams and Costco again. BJ's backed out.

Not saying theyll fail, and I dont want them to, but SC doesnt seem to be the best move for them. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm...just hard to tell with this being the same situation. BJs arrives, and here comes Costco and Sams yet again.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:27 PM

624 posts, read 687,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Called it. Wonder if BJs will back out now.
BJ's is riding even higher now. BJ's has the North Main Market/Downtown Summerville/26-17 corridor to themselves.

Also, of note: BJ's is going to be 80,000SF and the Sam's will be easily twice that. With BJ's going smaller, they are really a different warehouse.

Last edited by GroceryGuySC; 12-22-2016 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,933,841 times
Sam's opening a Summerville location isn't new news...they have been looking at land for several years in that area.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Sam's opening a Summerville location isn't new news...they have been looking at land for several years in that area.
I had heard the same thing. Also, a Costco associate recently told me their upper management has been looking for years at Summerville as well.

The more warehouses the merrier. We all win!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,387,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
BJ's is riding even higher now. BJ's has the North Main Market/Downtown Summerville/26-17 corridor to themselves.

Also, of note: BJ's is going to be 80,000SF and the Sam's will be easily twice that. With BJ's going smaller, they are really a different warehouse.
What does "riding higher" mean? What have they changed since their first foray into the state a decade ago? Fact of the matter is BJ's had the most lucrative part of the Greenville market, if not most of the market overall, to themselves for a few years. Didn't matter.

They saw it coming in Columbia and bailed. When they announced the Summerville store, they were alone, but now you have Sams coming next door, and a new Costco, which can still attract Berkeley residents. Like I said, maybe third time is the charm, but I'm still reserved.

Pretty incredible this is the third time this has happened to them.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,860,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I had heard the same thing. Also, a Costco associate recently told me their upper management has been looking for years at Summerville as well.

The more warehouses the merrier. We all win!
I can't imagine Costco opening a 3rd location in the Charleston area. There are bigger cities with just one.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I can't imagine Costco opening a 3rd location in the Charleston area. There are bigger cities with just one.
If Columbia can support 3 Sam's Clubs, then Charleston with its higher incomes could do 3 Costco's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area