Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times

Advertisements

Currently, my wife and I live in Summerville (knightsville area in sunburst lakes off of Orangeburg near Central ave).
We bought about 1.5 yrs ago but are contemplating moving to N Charleston.
I work near Summerville Medical Center and love my job so would be commuting there for the foreseeable future. Our church is in West Ashely close off of 17 near 526. We are there at least 2x/wk if not more and it takes us about 35 min to get there on a Sunday morning.
We have some friends who live in the Wando Woods area which as far as location goes seems great since it's pretty central to everything. However, I'm not sure what crime is like in that area as it seems a little run down (especially surrounding areas). right now we live in 3bed/2.5bath and 1850 sq ft and would look for a comparable home if we moved.
Does anybody have any good opinions or insight about Wando Woods as I do not frequent the area often? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM

209 posts, read 533,956 times
Do you plan on having children? Or someday selling your house to people who have children? Because a move to Wando Woods would be a negative in those situations. You are considering a move from one of the best school districts to one of the worst... I'd think heavily about that...

Old 01-02-2017, 06:13 PM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
Good advice re: schools. For some, that is the priority above all else.

What about Westcott or Kings Grant? Your church trip would be about half of what it is, and you would actually be closer to work than you are now, as long as you're not deep down in the subdivision. Plus, you would still be in DD2.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:59 PM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
PTfromTN: I just re-read your post and see that you have only owned your current home for 1 1/2 years. Are you thinking about selling, or renting it out? I'm no expert, but it seems that it might make more sense financially not to sell now, but to wait for a few more years. Maybe some of the more real estate savvy members can address that.

Last edited by BSJSAS; 01-02-2017 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
If you're going to be working in the Hospital on Midland Parkway for the foreseeable future, you may want to look into homes in Wescott Plantation. There are many nice houses with various floorplans, both 1 and 2 story layouts. Many have views of the Golf Course or of the Ponds. You would still be in Dorch II School District. Wescott has a decidedly lower statistical crime rate within North Chas.

There are also some nice homes in the Quail Arbor subdivision on Old Trolley Road. These are older homes and would require a through inspection before buying. That section may be considered Summervile, but not much different than N.C.

You would have a much easier commute to the Hospital and over the 526 to West Ashley. Do you think your current home has appreciated in value ?? Many subdivisions are showing a 10% year over year growth rate.

Good Luck in your search !!

Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
You should also try to wait 6 more months , so you don't have to pay taxes on selling your house before the 2 year period. You will lose much more money if you sell before living 2 years in your home. I agree Wando woods is a nice older neighborhood. Some of the neighborhood is even on the River and very nice! It's the surrounding areas that are bad, like many places in Charleston. You only need to worry if the criminals wander into the neighborhood to usually steal and burglarize. You can always call the crime analysis unit of the North Charleston PD and give a report on the particular neighborhood or you give a main street and a cross street.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:54 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
I believe if you've lived in the house at least one year, your tax on profit is at the LT Cap Gains rate of 15% vs the ST rate. Still, as others have mentioned, if you can, it makes sense to wait another 6 months so you get the 250K/500K exemption.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
I would think the huge spike in murders from 2015 to 2016 would be more than enough to give most people pause before buying in North Charleston. Not necessarily because there aren't safe neighborhoods, but more because of the issues with resale values in a city perceived to be not as safe as other areas of Charleston.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
PT
Yes by all means go from the frying pan to the fire and spend more time at your church praying. Sounds like a plan.....not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area