Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 27,101 times

Advertisements

Considering Move to Charleston Area in Couple of Years BUT coming down in May for 1st Visit!!

Coming down in May for this 1st visit and would like to know where 2 40-somethings should go during this visit to get a good feel for what the area is like?

One of the main reasons for considering the area specifically is that it's a coastal city. I currently live on Long Island in New York and there is access to the Ocean or other Beaches within a 1/2 hr from anywhere on the Island.

Is there things going on near the Beaches/shores during the 1st week of May or is it way too early at that time?
Any other sites that may sway me??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Cavs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
You'll love it. Lots going on year round. May will be full swing.
All beaches are with in 1/2 hour from downtown.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Downtown Charleston goes on all year & is 1/2 hour from beaches . Saturday morning, walk around Marion Square's farmer market & get breakfast from the foodtrucks/stands. Any day of the week, stroll King Street or anywhere south of Broad Street.
Cross the Ravenel Bridge and take in the city from the Mount Pleasant side. Walk the boardwalk around Shem Creek in Mt P. Walk up the Ravenel Bridge just for the view, then down it & around Patriot's Point or Mt P's Waterfront Park.
All these are free (other than breakfast).
Rent bikes from Mike's Bikes either downtown or near the Old Village in Mt. P. See the streets around those bike shops. There's just so much to take in, I haven't even begun. And searching old threads here will give it all. You don't need an event to enjoy this area. There's water everywhere -- get on the water in a kayak on Shem Creek or even (for first timers) in James Island County Park. Relax on the Carolina Belle (think Circleline).
Name your desired activity and we'll be more specific on how to get that here in the Charleston area. FYI, I grew up in NYC/LI -- left at age 35. Say hello to Sayville for me!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
May is a great time to visit. Weather should be really nice if you come early in the month (can get hot later in the month).

Staying in downtown Charleston is always a treat, but expensive. We always stayed just across the bridge in Mount Pleasant at Old Village Post House - the inn is very quaint, has great service, and a great restaurant with a lovely outdoor courtyard. And very reasonable rates. Old Village Post House Inn | Mount Pleasant, SC. If you prefer to stay in Charleston, The Governor's House is reasonable (for downtown Charleston) and a great location with awesome breakfasts on their beautiful porch - Charleston, SC Historic Bed & Breakfast (B&B) - Weddings - Business Venue | Governor's House Inn

Old Village Post House is in a beautiful part of Mount Pleasant - www.thecassinagroup.com/the-old-village. Walk around the streets after dinner. It's also an easy walk to Shem Creek from there for a drink on the water and dolphin viewing! Bars & Restaurants on Shem Creek, South Carolina

Shem Creek food (my opinion) is just "ok", so I would eat elsewhere and just go for drinks. There is a catamaran you can take out of Shem Creek (docked right in front of Red's) - PALMETTO BREEZE - AquaSafarisAquaSafaris.

Take a walk on Pitt Street during the day and poke into the shops. It's a throwback to yesteryear - Out of Hand is a favorite. https://shopoutofhand.com/. Grab lunch at the Village Bakery - excellent food (it's more than just sweets) - Village Bakery and Cafe | Mount Pleasant, SC, then take a short walk to the Pitt Street Bridge - Pitt Street Bridge Review at ExploreCharleston.net - for great views. Walk around the Old Village to view the homes which are to die for - and water views - some of the paths lead to benches where you can sit and enjoy the view and breeze. Check out Alahambra Hall and walk around the town green, see the old buildings, and read the plaques to get a sense of the history. The ones about Hugo are particularly interesting.

Venture over to Sullivan's Island one day (15 min from OVPH or downtown Charleston) and have lunch at Poe's Tavern (named after Edgar Allen Poe) - one of the best casual places with great atmosphere and great burgers. Also outdoor dining - Poe's Tavern – Sullivan's Island, Charleston, South Carolina. Take in Fort Moultrie - https://www.nps.gov/fosu/learn/histo...t_moultrie.htm - and then walk the beach. If you're still there @ dinner time, try The Obstinate Daughter for dinner - HOME - The Obstinate Daughter.

Spend a day in Charleston, but first stop in at the Visitor Center in Mount Pleasant at Patriot's Point (99 Harry Hamlin Blvd - follow signs to Waterfront Park). Grab some brochures, check out the Sweetgrass Basket Center, walk Waterfront Park for some great views, then head to Charleston Harbor Resort (just down the road) and catch the Charleston Water Taxi into the city. It's the best way to get into the city - you can enjoy being on the water, relax, not worry about parking, and get a great view of Charleston from the water - all for only $10 - Ferry Service | Charleston Water Taxi.

Others can chime in for great lunch spots, but if you want water views try Fleet Landing - Fleet Landing. It's an easy walk from where the water taxi drops you off and from there to City Market. Spend the day walking around the historic district, visit Rainbow Row, walk along The Battery, visit the stalls at City Market, stroll along King Street for shopping, then have a drink at one of the rooftop bars - maybe Pavilion Rooftop Bar - Pavilion Bar before taking the water taxi back to Mount Pleasant.

Head over to Daniel Island one night for dinner (15 min from Mt Pleasant or downtown Charleston). Go early before dinner, and check out Smythe Park (2364 Daniel Island Drive) - Smythe Park - Daniel Island. Park and take a walk in the park, around the lake, and read and learn about the history of the island. On your way back from Smythe Park to dinner, you'll drive by the Volvo Car Stadium (161 Seven Farms Dr) - on your left in the center of town where the annual Volvo Open Tennis Tournament is held (women's pro tennis) and concerts are held (including by our beloved local Darius Rucker from Hootie and the Blowfish) throughout the summer - it's an awesome open air venue.

For dinner, eat at Sermet's Courtyard - on a side street lined with gorgeous old Live Oaks which will be lit up. Great food and atmosphere - outdoor courtyard - Sermet’s Courtyard – Sermet’s Southernterranean & Sermet’s Courtyard Restaurants. After dinner, walk down to the waterfront (at the bottom of the street), and walk the trail along the water.

Those are just what I consider some highlights and things we did during our scouting trips to the area. There are lots more things to do and see. We have yet to get to any of the plantations, but those are certainly worth a visit as is Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant.

Obviously if you are here for scouting purposes, you'll want to visit and spend time in the towns/neighborhoods you are interested in living in, as they are all very different, and are not going to be like downtown Charleston or Old Village unless you have mucho bucks! My favorite communities are Mt Pleasant and Daniel Island - http://danielisland.com/island-living/parks - but there are many great areas depending on your budget, wants and needs.

Have fun!

Last edited by macalan; 01-09-2017 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
p.s. Try to take in Second Sunday (in downtown Charleston - I can't remember when it starts, but believe it's in full swing in May - on the second Sunday of the month of course!)

Second Sunday on King Street Charleston | Zero George Street | Zero George Street

Someone else mentioned the Charleston Farmer's Market (which is on Saturdays) - that's fun too!

Charleston Farmers Market – Charleston, South Carolina (843) 724-7305

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful insight. Very much the type of information I was hoping to get from locals. Some of you should become Travel Agents or work in Community Relations.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Second Sunday is year round.12 - 5 pm.I would suggest going a bit later rather than earlier. They are usually slow to set up and at noon some of the restaurants/vendors, etc aren't quite ready.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM

52 posts, read 63,007 times
Cavster,
Fellow LI'er here.

That's so exciting, you're 1st visit! We moved here 2.5 years ago and I remember exactly what it was like each time we came to visit. The first visit was a shock. There was a world outside of New York? Who knew? lol
Happy, healthy people...enjoying their lives!

Anyway, there is a LOT to do, so it really depends on what you like. May is a great time...the weather will be perfect.

If your coming to scout it out for places to live...I would definitely try to narrow it down (pro/con list...needs vs wants, price point) so you don't make the mistake we made and look at too much. It can get overwhelming.

For things to do:
- Walk/shop king street & market street
- 2nd Sunday on king street
- Maybe a carriage tour. Touristy, but fun and educational
- Sit at the pier and enjoy some sweet tea while watching dolphins swim in the harbor
- Restaurants/bars downtown charleston

In Mount Pleasant:
- IOP/Sullivans Island for the beaches
- Sullivans Island has some good restaurants as well for lunch/dinner
- Shop at Town Center (anything from old navy to nordstrom type of stores)

I'd also think about doing a plantation tour. Really gives you a taste of the charm and history here.

It was really helpful to have people personally show us around and I'd be more than happy to do the same or at least point you in more specific directions, if you want to message me.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:47 PM

Well, what was supposed to be May now turned into the 2nd week of June. First heading to Atlanta to catch a Mets game at The Braves New Park then over to Charleston for 4 nights. Really looking forward to this trip. I haven't visited either place but I'm torn between Wilmington, NC or Charleston.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Please keep us informed of your impressions. It's always interesting to hear from a first-timer. And enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area