Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I can say this.. IMO we have a capacity issue between Charleston and Columbia. I can't remember the last time I was on that interstate and experienced light traffic.
During the holidays, LOL. But yeah, it should be three lanes nearly that whole stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 PM

42 posts, read 41,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
How many years did it take to build the new Ellis Creek Bridge on James Island? Two? Three?
Ellis Creek: Oct 2007 - March 2010. Ravenel : August '03 - July '05. Seriously. Ellis Creek took longer to build than the Ravenel did.

I live on JI and work in Mt P so each project was part of my daily grind for years. Seeing how quickly and efficiently those Skansa guys worked on the Ravenel was impressive. 24/ 7 the bridge was crawling with workers. Ellis Creek project? Not so much.

It appears that our tax increase averse law makers will not be raising the "gas tax" after all this session. They'll instead be raising the "motor fuel usage fee" which, up until about a week ago, they just called it "the gas tax" like sane people.
Attached Thumbnails
If Charleston is such a great place, with many tourists, where does all the money go?? We need the roads fixed!-picsart_01-12-01.13.41.jpg   If Charleston is such a great place, with many tourists, where does all the money go?? We need the roads fixed!-01.jpg  

Last edited by Woodrob12; 01-12-2017 at 12:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 AM

42 posts, read 41,055 times
During the holidays and around spring break wkends, I-95 South Carolina's 2 lanes of traffic craaaaaaaawl right up until you enter Georgia. Nowadays, Georgia is one them fancy pants THREE lane states. Can you believe it? THREE LANES!!.......Maybe that can be us someday SC.

Last edited by Woodrob12; 01-12-2017 at 12:23 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,615 times
Columbia will authorize widening I-95 from the NC border to Florence and then I-20 from Florence to Columbia before they authorize spending money on the rest of the low country.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Columbia will authorize widening I-95 from the NC border to Florence and then I-20 from Florence to Columbia before they authorize spending money on the rest of the low country.
I believe it.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrob12 View Post
Ellis Creek: Oct 2007 - March 2010. Ravenel : August '03 - July '05. Seriously. Ellis Creek took longer to build than the Ravenel did.

I live on JI and work in Mt P so each project was part of my daily grind for years. Seeing how quickly and efficiently those Skansa guys worked on the Ravenel was impressive. 24/ 7 the bridge was crawling with workers. Ellis Creek project? Not so much.

It appears that our tax increase averse law makers will not be raising the "gas tax" after all this session. They'll instead be raising the "motor fuel usage fee" which, up until about a week ago, they just called it "the gas tax" like sane people.

Track the time it takes to complete the revamped Folly/Camp intersection. I predict only 2 years since I'm in a optimistic mood today.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,150 times
Quote:
During the holidays and around spring break wkends, I-95 South Carolina's 2 lanes of traffic craaaaaaaawl right up until you enter Georgia. Nowadays, Georgia is one them fancy pants THREE lane states. Can you believe it? THREE LANES!!.......Maybe that can be us someday SC.
Thats because there sre not cities on 95 other thsn florence which is very small. Tp tell you tbe truth florence shouldnt even have 6 lanes going thru it. Its not that much traffic and its never backed up. If you believe florence should have 6 lanes on 95 then charleston, Columbia should have 8 and 10 because both are tripple the size of florence and have backups

But i know alot has to do with the headman over road projects lliving in florence also

Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 PM

96 posts, read 73,550 times
Plenty of places are using porous pavement these days. Not so much for highways, but rather for parking lots.

The way it works is that the pavement is made in a way that water can seep through and into a gravel subsurface and usually some sort of holding tank where it can be released more slowly once the wet weather period is over.

This is designed to reduce storm water runoff thus reducing local flooding and pollution in the waterways.

The field of storm water management has a set of "best management practices" and if one googles that term they will find plenty of information on rain gardens, bioswales, and other "green" infrastructure.

With Charleston being so close to sea level, this may not be a viable option, but many places are finding these methods actually do work to reduce some of the demand on the existing system and at a fraction of a cost of building bigger pipes.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say they're tax increase adverse. Our income and sales taxes are fairly high for a "low tax" state.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:

Speaking of bridges, it took them a year to fix that dinky little bridge on Spruill Ave that leads into Park Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area