Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If it happens "everywhere I go", perhaps there is a communications problem. Do the others in your party also have the same problem?
haha, communications problem. No, it's just that the cooks here can't do medium rare.

I once went to Outback and asked for a medium rare steak. It came out well done. I said to the server, they should fix it for the next person but I was ok eating it. She got the manager and he came and said he wanted to make me another one. He did and it came out well done. He said, "If we can't do a steak right we should not be in business. He said next time ask for me and I'll cook it for you. Went back another time and asked for him, he cooked it and it came out right. " I'll keep going there because the manager is so good.

It's just funny at this point because it's not hard to do but almost every restaurant seems unable to do it reliably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:52 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Last night I'm at an unnamed restaurant where the bill for 3 people was $150
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Well give us a hint a least....
Are we talking med-high end downtown restraunts or Applebees types
If you are spending $150 for three people at an Applebees type restaurant, you are going to have a heck of a hangover from all of the cheap-liqueur, sugary margaritas you drank.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:54 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
haha, communications problem. No, it's just that the cooks here can't do medium rare.
Do you find this just in Charleston or everywhere? I, too, always order med-rare, but I find I get it cooked correctly about 75% of the time. The other time it's too rare. I never remember receiving well done.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you are spending $150 for three people at an Applebees type restaurant, you are going to have a heck of a hangover from all of the cheap-liqueur, sugary margaritas you drank.
ha ha ha !!!

Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Do you find this just in Charleston or everywhere? I, too, always order med-rare, but I find I get it cooked correctly about 75% of the time. The other time it's too rare. I never remember receiving well done.
I don't travel enough to say but here well done or rare is the norm with nothing in between more times than not.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Well give us a hint a least....
Are we talking med-high end downtown restraunts or Applebees types
$50 a head. Applebees. Now my Applebees has done amazing providing a medium rare steak until the long time cook left.

Perfect 32oz ribeye for $97! Cooked to perfection.
https://www.yelp.com/menu/hys-steak-...bone-in-ribeye

Old 01-15-2017, 06:32 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I like steak rare to medium and have had few problems. My wife always liked her's well done. She would order well done and say this is to rare. I learned to add to her order of well done, burn the hell out of it and she liked it that way.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I like steak rare to medium and have had few problems. My wife always liked her's well done. She would order well done and say this is to rare. I learned to add to her order of well done, burn the hell out of it and she liked it that way.
Some of the steaks I have received are not even rare but "blue" or pretty much raw. They sear the outside at very high heat and it's still raw inside.

as seen here.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d2d5cc9051.jpg

How to Cook a Blue Steak

Old 01-16-2017, 07:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Some of the steaks I have received are not even rare but "blue" or pretty much raw. They sear the outside at very high heat and it's still raw inside.

as seen here.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d2d5cc9051.jpg

How to Cook a Blue Steak
I know Blue to have been called Chicago Rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: