Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM

624 posts, read 692,124 times

Advertisements

1 year after being announced, demolition is finally scheduled to begin.

Demolition to begin to make way for Whole Foods, Zoe's Kitchen in West Ashley | Business | postandcourier.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
I hope this turns out to be the beginning of attracting some higher-quality retail to West Ashley.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
I hope this turns out to be the beginning of attracting some higher-quality retail to West Ashley.
I think it will. Whole Foods attracts a higher income demo, so it should bring in better retail.

That IGA next to Whole Foods' days are numbered. Somebody will buy him out.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I think it will. Whole Foods attracts a higher income demo, so it should bring in better retail.

That IGA next to Whole Foods' days are numbered. Somebody will buy him out.
Don't you think WF offered to buy out Doschers? I have the feeling that if Doschers was willing to let go of their lease, then WF would have built on that spot.

The upgrades to WA are already becoming apparent. The 3 breweries, Starbucks, the Harris Teeter at 61 & 7, a new Thai restaurant near Home Team and West Ashley Hardware (which is a great hardware store) are all smart pioneers of the New West Ashley future imo.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Don't you think WF offered to buy out Doschers? I have the feeling that if Doschers was willing to let go of their lease, then WF would have built on that spot.

The upgrades to WA are already becoming apparent. The 3 breweries, Starbucks, the Harris Teeter at 61 & 7, a new Thai restaurant near Home Team and West Ashley Hardware (which is a great hardware store) are all smart pioneers of the New West Ashley future imo.
All good for sure, but I'm hoping that Doschers hang in there, maybe with a little face lift. That store caters to lower income folks and does a great job. I just wonder why WF wanted to move right next door to them. I know West Ashley wants to clean its self up, but lower income people are also a part of our community.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
All good for sure, but I'm hoping that Doschers hang in there, maybe with a little face lift. That store caters to lower income folks and does a great job. I just wonder why WF wanted to move right next door to them. I know West Ashley wants to clean its self up, but lower income people are also a part of our community.
True and yes, Doschers serves an important purpose in the community. From what I've heard, it's not just lower income people who frequent the store too. I've been told the butchers are very good there and they have some following among meat afectionadios.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:58 AM

I think for the right number, Doscher's would relocate. That land next to Whole Foods will be worth far more than whatever Doscher's is paying. Not that I am hoping for it to close, just reality looking at the situation.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:19 AM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
I believe Doscher's lease runs out sometime after 2020. The only place where they will really overlap with Whole Foods will be in their selection of local produce.

And yeah - they probably have the best butcher shop in all of West Ashley.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post

FWIW- as long as I've lived in Charleston (and I was originally in Mt P for about 6-7 years) West Ashley has had its share of nicer/higher end places. Earth Fare has always been there, Normandy farm for atleast a decade, GDC, Southeastern Galleries, a couple of decent shops in Windermere, Al de La, the previous hardware store on Wappoo. So we are gaining more consistently mid-upper-middle tier tenants but it but we've never really suffered a dearth of retail or food/beverage. To be honest I was stuck driving to WA from Mt P more than driving to Mt P from WA for my needs.

I will throw pride to the wind and hope they can do something with Citadel Mall. I'm not sure if its simply an issue of synergy, folks wanting a nicer shopping experience or too many chains having stand alone stores in WA, but that mall has truly grown sad.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I think it is nice that WA is getting these new businesses, I like West Ashley, really look forward to the Zoe's kitchen coming, now that's a good place. I can't believe you had to drive to Mt. Pleasant Mr. Peatie when Costco is in West Ashley with everything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area