Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

I just recently found out Publix and Bi-Lo no longer double coupons. They used to but have stopped.

Food Lion does not double coupons and never has as far as I can remember. It seems like Harris Teeter is the only grocery store around that doubles coupons up to .99 and on the rare occasion 2.00.

Are there any other grocery stores around that double? I have a feeling Harris Teeter may stop also. They stopped doing the buy 50.00 in groceries and get 50.00 gas card for 40 except for special deals they might run. Or they will match Publix if they are running that deal and you take the Publix coupon into Harris Teeter.

So with no other grocery stores doubling coupons anymore and with Walmart no longer accepting competitors 10 off 40/10 off 50, etc or those type coupons, the deals are slim pickings.

How do you get the best deals in the area grocery shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM

624 posts, read 692,463 times
The extreme couponers have really ruined it all for everyone. I just go where has the product I want at the price I am willing to pay. Nothing against coupons or people who use them.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
The extreme couponers have really ruined it all for everyone. I just go where has the product I want at the price I am willing to pay. Nothing against coupons or people who use them.
Tell me about it. When Harris Teeter would have the double $2.00 coupons, I'd go in the day it starts and most all items I wanted were already out of stock. Extreme couponers would go in the minute the deals start with their big 5" binder of organized coupons and buy out the shelves.

Guess you'd have to go in at midnight. lol They give you rainchecks but by the time the item comes back in stock your 2.00 coupons aren't going to be doubled. I got to the point I rarely even go during 2.00 double coupons and make a list because most all items won't be available. There should be a limit of 1-2 items per person during that time....Lately I just go to a Walmart Market where the prices are lower to begin with.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:46 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I have rarely, if ever, used a coupon in a grocery store.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I am at the grocery store almost every day. Yeah I know -- I have too much time and I just don't play my meals.

I have never ever seen anybody with binder buying up coupon specials.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM

727 posts, read 715,738 times
The super doubles days aren't really all that good, and they do limit the number of each item you can buy as well as how many coupons you can use each day per Vic card. I use Coupon Mom to direct me to the best deals each week. Sometimes, I have time to go to each store and sometimes not. The best deals are when you can combine a store coupon with a mfg. coupon that doubles. That used to work really well with the HT Zavers, but now they hardly have any.

CVS actually has a good discount program card for personal care items, makeup etc. Combine that with mfg. coupons and you can get some deals.

I also like the cash back and points programs like SavingStar and Shopkick.

Finally, we shop at the commissary as well. There is an overall savings, but individual items can cost more than at WM sometimes. You have to know your prices.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM

108 posts, read 101,626 times
We plan our shopping trips to try to hit as many places in one trip if the sales justify it. In North MtP, can hit Publix, CVS, Bi-Lo, Target (some of the cheapest packaged groceries in MtP), Harris Teeter, Walgreens and Walmart in a 10-mile circuit. By shopping the BOGOs, and checking out the "deals" on SouthernSavers.com, this minimizes our grocery expenses.

When we make the monthly trek to Costco in WA, we also visit Food Lion (the one off Paul Cantrell is cheaper than the one off 17, and is accessible the "back way" out of Costco).

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I am at the grocery store almost every day. Yeah I know -- I have too much time and I just don't play my meals.

I have never ever seen anybody with binder buying up coupon specials.
Harris Teeter was the only place I ever saw the binders and I saw them mainly when 2.00 double coupons are going on. That's when the extreme couponers come out to play. They have all their coupons all compartmentalized and in those plastic sleeves. lol

Oh, I love southernsavers. They break it down for you with the coupon links.

I'm going to have to check out the CVS deals. I know others have gotten great deals there too but I've never taken the time to learn how to do the deals. I always just imagined drug store prices are so high, that even with a coupon it puts you at Walmart's prices so I just go to Walmart or do Amazon S&S and don't mess with drug stores.

Harris Teeter trips were fun. My mom and I would go with all our coupons and brag afterward on which one of us saved the most money. Fun to see the receipt read that you spent 50.00 and saved 60, and you got a 50.00 gas gift card for 40. It makes you feel good to know you saved so much. Yep HT doesn't have the coupons on their website that they used to. Now I rarely even check those because usually nothing I can use. I miss the 50.00 gas card for 40.00 deals now, but we can still take the Publix coupons for same and HT matches. I just hope Publix doesn't stop those.

What is good about HT too is that on the rare occasion I come home and see that I was overcharged for something or a coupon wasn't applied, etc. instead of getting back in the car and driving back to the store, I can simply email Harris Teeter Help with copies of the receipt and proof of sale and they will put the difference on my HT card so next time I go to the store, I'll have that credit on my card.

So some of the grocery stores are no longer doubling and some deals that were the norm are going away or not as good as they once were. :-( HT used to have the occasional 10.00 off 50.00 coupon. I believe now they have one out for 10.00 off 75.00. For me 75.00 is hard to reach when using coupons. I guess those with big families will have no problem getting to 75.00 or over.

I do love that Costco now accepts Visa. My Visa card gives 1.5 cash back. I really love it when Costco is one of the quarterly 5% promos. You can really rack up some cash back during those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area