Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Not sure of the economic benefit of such a thing when NASCAR seems to be on the decline.... and Formula 1 has never been that big in the US.
I meant for me to race on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 PM

480 posts, read 503,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I meant for me to race on.
Seems very dangerous, why would anyone want this?
Probably very loud and smelly. I would not want this in my neighborhood...

Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Seems very dangerous, why would anyone want this?
Probably very loud and smelly. I would not want this in my neighborhood...

Racetracks are typically on the outskirts of town and are far safer than commuting to work.
Nobody on a track is DUI, fiddling their phone with their music blastin with bald tires. You actually have to get certified before they turn you loose on the track.
Apparently I'm the only one here who has actually raced anything. Where else is everybody trying out the "sports" aspects of their sports cars? Otherwise it's just a high performance pretty car that idles in traffic with school buses.

Savannah has this: Roebling Road Raceway Track Located in Bloomingdale Georgia

Charleston being better than Savannah needs the at least the same stuff but better.

Not all of us are into art museums and tennis tournaments.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
Charleston used to have a real track called Summerville Speedway. It was a short track off of Central Avenue in Summerville, a 4/10 of a mile track. It closed in 2004 as new housing developments were built there.

Horse racing might do something here, but then you'd have to go through the state, regulating commissions, and also the religious people that don't like people betting on horses.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I personally hope that we stop building for a while. I don't want Charleston to be the next Atlanta.
That's not gonna stop. Charleston won't come close to an Atlanta in our lifetimes, but the way you prevent Chas from becoming another Atlanta-type is not by halting building, but by building the infrastructure that Atlanta refused to build while they still had space to do it, and by stopping sprawl from going rampant.

Plan for later, not for now.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Charleston used to have a real track called Summerville Speedway. It was a short track off of Central Avenue in Summerville, a 4/10 of a mile track. It closed in 2004 as new housing developments were built there.

Horse racing might do something here, but then you'd have to go through the state, regulating commissions, and also the religious people that don't like people betting on horses.
Do What?!
Just looked it up. Apparently the owner was a former NASCAR champ with some problems: NASCAR champ serving 36 month sentence in SC prison - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

That kinda sucks. Anytime there's something to do replaced with a housing development, that equals one less thing you can do.

The horse racing thing might have a better chance. Sure its gambling, but so is Bingo and much of the stock market.
I don't know how much influence the antigambling crowd really has in SC. The University of South Carolina's mascot is a gamecock. For some reason horse racing is seen as more "high brow" than chicken fighting. If Kentucky can pull it off, I'm sure we can.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:34 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,686 times
Anybody know what is being built on longpoint road opposite that big cement lot, across from the Harris Teeter center

Last edited by U120; 03-27-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 PM

480 posts, read 503,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Otherwise it's just a high performance pretty car that idles in traffic with school buses.
Next you'll want us hauling construction debris in our luxury pickup trucks.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Anybody know what is being built on longpoint road opposite that big cement lot, across from the Harris Teeter center
A chick fil a

Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Next you'll want us hauling construction debris in our luxury pickup trucks.
Eww no.
The tailgate is for tail gating purposes only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area