Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
I suspect the OP is looking for a place where, just as an example, people don't feel the need to constantly shove their sexual orientation down people's throats as a means of eliciting a reaction.
In case you're referring to me, I was the one reacting. "Traditional values" by history haven't been known to include same-sex marriage. And gay South Carolinans do speak up when they wonder if a statement or phrase may be being used in a way that feels ostracizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 PM

252 posts, read 264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
In case you're referring to me, I was the one reacting. "Traditional values" by history haven't been known to include same-sex marriage. And gay South Carolinans do speak up when they wonder if a statement or phrase may be being used in a way that feels ostracizing.
Interesting. Had you never brought it up (previously, I should say. You seem to have a thing for letting people know you're gay), I never would have known-- or cared-- that you're gay. I imagine most people would feel the same. I'm not bothered by gay people. I probably work with a few and wouldn't know, because the professionals I work with aren't the type to go "Hi, I'm Bob, and in case you didn't know it, I'm gay. Just wanted to let you know."

I honestly don't care. What I do care about are people who make it a point to assert their gayness obnoxiously. Those people I dislike, not because of their sexual orientation, but because they're obnoxious douches. Again, I imagine most people would feel the same.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Had you never brought it up (previously, I should say. You seem to have a thing for letting people know you're gay), I never would have known-- or cared-- that you're gay. I imagine most people would feel the same. I'm not bothered by gay people. I probably work with a few and wouldn't know, because the professionals I work with aren't the type to go "Hi, I'm Bob, and in case you didn't know it, I'm gay. Just wanted to let you know."

I honestly don't care. What I do care about are people who make it a point to assert their gayness obnoxiously. Those people I dislike, not because of their sexual orientation, but because they're obnoxious douches. Again, I imagine most people would feel the same.
I was just making sure my marriage fits into the OP's idea of the traditional values she wants to move to South Carolina for. I only bring up sexuality within appropriate contexts. If you don't care, I don't see why you would bother to write a speech about it.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I was just making sure my marriage fits into the OP's idea of the traditional values she wants to move to South Carolina for. I only bring up sexuality within appropriate contexts. If you don't care, I don't see why you would bother to write a speech about it.
Why should you feel threatened about what a person considers "traditional values"? In case you weren't aware, the standard model of husband, wife, and children have been the biological norm for ages, and is the primary vehicle by which the species is propagated. Many people still cherish that unit as wholesome and is the way they choose to live their lives. When media and activism demonize it to the point of saturation, one gets to a point where enough is enough and will do whatever they can to get away from the constant browbeating and just want to live in an environment where the traditional family model is not shunned, but embraced.

I bother, because your original post came across as presumptuous. I can't speak for gilleyqwyn but I do think I understand what she's getting at, and I would say South Carolina is steeped in traditional values. From the libertarian independence to the religious tolerance and everything in between, I think South Carolina as a whole vs. California is a wonderful fit for those wanting to live in a place where this or that group of people aren't constantly pushing an agenda.

If you feel threatened by that, you might consider somewhere else that is more in line with the way you view the world. Otherwise, you can live and let live just like, once again, I imagine most people here do already.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Make believing that there is no double standard when it comes to sexual orientation is exactly the kind of ignorance that needs to be eradicated. Straight couples can hug, kiss, hold hands in public. They can talk to their work buddies at the water cooler about all the wonderful things they did with their husbands or wives over the weekend. But as soon as a gay man or woman does any of those things they're "browbeating" the poor, disadvantaged straight people. Don't let him talk about his husband at work. Don't let him give his hubby a kiss at the store, because those behaviors are "shoving it in your face", even though that's precisely how straight people live their lives.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM

515 posts, read 482,378 times
Quote:
Why should you feel threatened about what a person considers "traditional values"? In case you weren't aware, the standard model of husband, wife, and children have been the biological norm for ages, and is the primary vehicle by which the species is propagated. Many people still cherish that unit as wholesome and is the way they choose to live their lives. When media and activism demonize it to the point of saturation, one gets to a point where enough is enough and will do whatever they can to get away from the constant browbeating and just want to live in an environment where the traditional family model is not shunned, but embraced.

I bother, because your original post came across as presumptuous. I can't speak for gilleyqwyn but I do think I understand what she's getting at, and I would say South Carolina is steeped in traditional values. From the libertarian independence to the religious tolerance and everything in between, I think South Carolina as a whole vs. California is a wonderful fit for those wanting to live in a place where this or that group of people aren't constantly pushing an agenda.

If you feel threatened by that, you might consider somewhere else that is more in line with the way you view the world. Otherwise, you can live and let live just like, once again, I imagine most people here do already.
Man, there is so much ridiculous ignorance in this post..... media and activism? How Trumpian.

I lived in California for 13 years....no one is "pushing an agenda". Or is that what treating everyone with the same respect and courtesy means to you?

And finally.... "if you don't like it, move somewhere else". The true calling card of the bigot.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Make believing that there is no double standard when it comes to sexual orientation is exactly the kind of ignorance that needs to be eradicated. Straight couples can hug, kiss, hold hands in public. They can talk to their work buddies at the water cooler about all the wonderful things they did with their husbands or wives over the weekend. But as soon as a gay man or woman does any of those things they're "browbeating" the poor, disadvantaged straight people. Don't let him talk about his husband at work. Don't let him give his hubby a kiss at the store, because those behaviors are "shoving it in your face", even though that's precisely how straight people live their lives.

That's not browbeating. That's talking about what you did with your significant other. Browbeating is putting people under a microscope when they say things like they're looking for a place with traditional values and presuming it's gaybashing, thus placing said person in a position where they must explain themselves.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
That's not browbeating. That's talking about what you did with your significant other. Browbeating is putting people under a microscope when they say things like they're looking for a place with traditional values and presuming it's gaybashing, thus placing said person in a position where they must explain themselves.
No one is trying to actively prevent you from exercising your rights as a heterosexual man. The same cannot be said for homosexuals. The only thing that is demonized is intolerance ("biological norms") hiding behind labels like "libertarianism" and "traditional values."

Old 02-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I don't feel threatened. I'm not going anywhere. I'm a native South Carolinian. I just wanted the OP to be aware that there is an alive and well, "non-tradional" segment of South Carolina's population, and speaking out and being heard on that topic is and should be a normal response of a married gay man in South Carolina and all over the nation. After all, I can't think of many other "non-traditional" values that someone would want to move all the way across the country to escape. I can can see the fiscal aspect with California's government, but South Carolina has its fair share of straight people living by "non-traditional" values as well. And I was talking to the OP anyway.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't feel threatened. I'm not going anywhere. I'm a native South Carolinian. I just wanted the OP to be aware that there is an alive and well, "non-tradional" segment of South Carolina's population, and speaking out and being heard on that topic is and should be a normal response of a married gay man in South Carolina and all over the nation. After all, I can't think of many other "non-traditional" values that someone would want to move all the way across the country to escape. I can can see the fiscal aspect with California's government, but South Carolina has its fair share of straight people living by "non-traditional" values as well. And I was talking to the OP anyway.
I take it you've never been out west. There is a difference between having a segment of the population that lives a certain way, and one that goes out of their way to make it unbearable to people who may have qualms about it, whether religious, moral, or otherwise. You're making it sound like "Surprise! We have gay people here!" the reality is that gay people are everywhere. How they choose to live among a diverse group has just as much of an impact as, say, the oft cited difference between north & south that gets mentioned here in every thread where someone is looking for information ahead of a move.

Are you especially camp and flamboyant, making a point to shove "the gay" in everyone's face you come across? ("you" in the generic sense) I have a feeling you'd have a hard time here. Are you a well adjusted individual, making your way in the world, contributing to society, etc. etc. who also is romantically attracted to and/or is currently involved in a relationship with someone of the same sex? Where's the problem?

I encountered many of the former when I lived in Seattle. In the year or so I've been here, I've never encountered anyone like that, but I have plenty of the latter. Great people. Wouldn't mind having them as neighbors at all.

For the last 30 years or more, all anyone has heard is "tolerance". I'd argue that we as a society have become extremely tolerant. Let me know when you hear about people stringing up a gay couple because of their orientation, and I'll be among the first to condemn them. There is a difference between tolerating and celebrating. Some choose not to celebrate it. As of now, that's not a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area