Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM

480 posts, read 504,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderB View Post
What are negatives for everyone that live here? I'm sure there must be some that we couldnt see in our short visit. We are planning to move to MTP, so if they correspond to this area
Nobody could come up with ANY negatives to living here?!?!
Alright, that's my first negative (especially living in Mount Pleasant) I'm hustling while everyone else has seemed to figure out the 'slow life' thing. It really depends on your lifestyle but I find the cost of living here high. If you have kids, you'll be 'keeping up with the Joneses' to a degree and it can be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM

58 posts, read 82,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Alright, that's my first negative (especially living in Mount Pleasant) I'm hustling while everyone else has seemed to figure out the 'slow life' thing. It really depends on your lifestyle but I find the cost of living here high. If you have kids, you'll be 'keeping up with the Joneses' to a degree and it can be tough.
I can agree with your hustling comment. If you actually need to get things done here, it just seems to take more effort, patience and (well) hustle than other places I have lived. Nothing here is really 'convenient'. That being said, on a nice early summer Sunday morning/afternoon/evening (when I've got nothing planned) it is a pretty perfect place to live

Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM

35 posts, read 32,864 times
Quote:
Okay so we're working on our pros and cons list.
There are very few cons to moving down as far as we can tell(for us anyways). But that's where my question comes from.

What are negatives for everyone that live here? What are reasons people want to leave?
I'm sure there must be some that we couldnt see in our short visit.
We are planning to move to MTP, so if they correspond to this area, the Charleston area, or South Carolina in general, please let me know.
Great to hear that you enjoyed the trip and like the area.

For me, the negatives...

1. Traffic in the late spring and summer. Especially on HWY 17, which runs through Mt Pleasant.
2. Over-building of the area. Massive number of apartments have been built within the last 10 years or so. We went to John's Island this weekend to help someone move. HUGE difference. So much so, that my husband and I would seriously consider moving out there. It was nice to be able to drive around and still see an abundance of undeveloped, natural landscape, horses, farms, etc. Mt. Pleasant has no culture and has pushed away what little it had (shrimp boats are being replaced with yachts, the Gullah/Geechee community is being bought out by developers.)
3. Lots of superficial people here. It's all about appearance and little substance, in my opinion. But, these days, I suppose that can be said about any place.
4. The mayor and town council and town government suck.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I just have to learn to live lighter in the south!
Won't need a gym really.
Use the garage for a workshop. Won't need a dining room, so we'll use that as the music and playroom.

Problems solved!
Buy a home with a large yard and use a push mower.

And you'll be so close to the beach that you won't need a gym!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 AM

52 posts, read 58,608 times
Thanks for the replies!
I'm okay without the basement, I mean it's a change, but one I can live with. I do have a son and have plans for another so the mancave can disappear as long as they have a room to play in. I just need a tv and a couch! Haha

We are planning to get a modest house in mount pleasant, with 6 months of living cost.

As far as hustling.....I/we hustle in CT....it's a tough place here, and as long as it's the same or a little easier that's fine by me/us. I am actually excited to take advantage of the slower lifestyle down there. That doesn't mean I'll stop working hard, I would just like to stop running around everyday like Ive had 10 cups of coffee.

We have nice things, because we want them, not because we're trying to keep up with anyone or show off in any way. I actually strongly dislike that trait in people.

Coming down with the plan to startup a small HVAC business will take a lot of work, but it's a service that no one can go without, and the work ethic we have here will transfer down there and hopefully this all works out.

ETA: thanks ragin, luckily we never saw how the area was before, so we can't compare it to then, but I could absolutely see how the changes would not be nice for you who watched them happen.
We liked what we saw while down there, but we can't compare it to how it used to be.

One thing that we're sort of worried about is the home pricing. We're nervous that the house prices are so high that they may drop in the future, and if we're buying at a high right now that could really hurt us. I don't mean a national RE drop, but just the area. Hopefully it's not just a bubble that will burst sometime soon.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
egads!!!!!! how could i forget about "keeping up the the Joneses" with kids... with all of the mini Lily Pulitzers and mini Ralph Laurens and bow ties running around?????

it's really not that bad. but, i do feel out of place in the school pick up line or at school events.

we are the misfits of Mt Pleasant. lol

Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
I can offer a couple tips...
First off, that's not a 32 oz Yeti cup you see people drinking out of, it's an $8 Ozark Trail. From a distance it looks like a Yeti though.

Consider leasing entry level luxury vehicles instead of buying used fully loaded ones. You can lease a brand new stripped down Mercedes C-Class for half the cost of your flood insurance.

Keep golf clubs in your car and take them out when you get home from work. That way your neighbors will think you just play golf all day. Switch it out with fishing gear from time to time to deepen the effect.

If you have an SUV, consider installing a bike rack and kayak rack like I do. Even if you've spent 18 hours straight digging trenches your neighbors will envy your outdoorsy lifestyle.

Don't waste money on a farmhouse sink in your kitchen. Try installing another palmetto tree in your front yard instead. You want your house to look like Jimmy Buffet lives there.

Wear flip flops everywhere. Nothing says you got nothing to do today like flip flops.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!
I'm okay without the basement, I mean it's a change, but one I can live with. I do have a son and have plans for another so the mancave can disappear as long as they have a room to play in. I just need a tv and a couch! Haha

We are planning to get a modest house in mount pleasant, with 6 months of living cost.

As far as hustling.....I/we hustle in CT....it's a tough place here, and as long as it's the same or a little easier that's fine by me/us. I am actually excited to take advantage of the slower lifestyle down there. That doesn't mean I'll stop working hard, I would just like to stop running around everyday like Ive had 10 cups of coffee.

We have nice things, because we want them, not because we're trying to keep up with anyone or show off in any way. I actually strongly dislike that trait in people.

Coming down with the plan to startup a small HVAC business will take a lot of work, but it's a service that no one can go without, and the work ethic we have here will transfer down there and hopefully this all works out.

ETA: thanks ragin, luckily we never saw how the area was before, so we can't compare it to then, but I could absolutely see how the changes would not be nice for you who watched them happen.
We liked what we saw while down there, but we can't compare it to how it used to be.

One thing that we're sort of worried about is the home pricing. We're nervous that the house prices are so high that they may drop in the future, and if we're buying at a high right now that could really hurt us. I don't mean a national RE drop, but just the area. Hopefully it's not just a bubble that will burst sometime soon.
You didn't miss anything from the good old days of Mount P except an airport that took you nowhere but Atlanta, the gas stations didn't have those cool little TV's on each pump, and there wasn't even a place to park your yacht because of all those shrimpers that were in the way.
You know what all that development replaced? Trees. Trees you couldn't do anything with.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Visiting MP, I noticed the more layed back style. My wife's best friend and family stared a business down there so we visit a decent amount. I remember being at Reds on a Saturday afternoon. I had my phone out checking emails and responding to calls and what not. One of the guys we wer with (who grew up there) took my phone and said look around. You're the only person with a phone "working". It's Saturday, enjoy it!

I looked around and not a single person had there phone on them. Most people left them in the boats and were cruising up and down Shem creek. I think that would be the hardest part, relaxing.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM

480 posts, read 504,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I can offer a couple tips...
First off, that's not a 32 oz Yeti cup you see people drinking out of, it's an $8 Ozark Trail. From a distance it looks like a Yeti though.

Consider leasing entry level luxury vehicles instead of buying used fully loaded ones. You can lease a brand new stripped down Mercedes C-Class for half the cost of your flood insurance.

Keep golf clubs in your car and take them out when you get home from work. That way your neighbors will think you just play golf all day. Switch it out with fishing gear from time to time to deepen the effect.

If you have an SUV, consider installing a bike rack and kayak rack like I do. Even if you've spent 18 hours straight digging trenches your neighbors will envy your outdoorsy lifestyle.

Don't waste money on a farmhouse sink in your kitchen. Try installing another palmetto tree in your front yard instead. You want your house to look like Jimmy Buffet lives there.

Wear flip flops everywhere. Nothing says you got nothing to do today like flip flops.
This is GREAT advise.
I'm dumping the work boots for flip flops and buying a kayak rack (no kayak needed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area