Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderB View Post
One word....awesome.

We don't want to leave. This is our last day here, we've been driving around all day, and looked at a few houses with a realtor this morning.

I'll update with more of my thoughts when we get home, but we can certainly see ourselves here!

There are few to no cons as far as we can see!

My wife would like to know though.....
There is a smell that we noticed in many areas of mtp. It smells kind of like a mix of mint and sewage. Not a horrible smell, but we noticed it a lot. I don't think it's from the paper mill.....we noticed that smell crossing the bridge into Daniel island....that was interesting.....sort of choked us.
Anyone know?
Mint and sewage....pluff mud?
Though that an interesting way to describe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM

216 posts, read 299,888 times
Pluff mudd (don't think so because its usually only noticeable on those warm summer days), MWV (paper mill), they are doing controlled burns in the Goose Creek area. I smell the paper mill every morning when I cross the apex of the Don Holt bridge (Daniel island to North Charleston).

What areas did you love most?!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:42 PM

127 posts, read 138,976 times
It is a shame I didn't see this thread earlier. I would've suggested driving up I-26 through Columbia and Greenville and taking the long way back to CT. From reading your posts, it sounds like you'd like these two cities as well. Your housing budget would basically let you live anywhere you want in these places and the services are at the same level of quality as in Charleston.

Side questions to others...After reading the housing budgets of people moving to Charleston from up north, how do native SCers afford Charleston?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 58,627 times
Yea I can't imagine it's the pluff mud. We walked around a few boardwalks over the marshes and if I know what the pluff mud is, I call that muck and know the smell. I think that's what you mean, and if so, that's not it.

We loved all of the areas, and as everyone says, each have their charm. We decided on mount pleasant though, specifically(and most likely) the park west/dunes west area.

We're still figuring things out, but it seems highly likely we'll be making the move. We are all in pretty much 100%. Lot of work to make the move. Close down a business, sell 2 houses, move everything, including 5 vehicles, and also start a new business! One good thing is we only need half of our tools! Don't need anything to work on oil or boilers down here! No more hauling 1000lb+ boilers out of basements either!

As far as Columbus or Greenville. My mom actually has a long time friend that lives in Greenville, and although we've never been there, we do know it is very nice and is a little more similar to CT weather. These two areas just won't work for us. We NEED to be by the beach! Haha
Isle of palms is absolutely stunning, exactly the type of beach we want to live by.

The Charleston area met and exceeded all of our expectations, is pretty much the best way to describe our trip.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM

370 posts, read 947,578 times
Pretty sure that was the paper mill smell. It can be strong in that area.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegarbbq11 View Post
It is a shame I didn't see this thread earlier. I would've suggested driving up I-26 through Columbia and Greenville and taking the long way back to CT. From reading your posts, it sounds like you'd like these two cities as well. Your housing budget would basically let you live anywhere you want in these places and the services are at the same level of quality as in Charleston.

Side questions to others...After reading the housing budgets of people moving to Charleston from up north, how do native SCers afford Charleston?
1) they do the same work anybody else does in Charleston and can afford it.
2) they've always lived here long before it was "discovered". Some families go back 300 years.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Another question, why are a lot of the houses in Charleston leaning over?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 AM

480 posts, read 504,125 times
Quote:
Another question, why are a lot of the houses in Charleston leaning over?
Do you mean historical houses downtown that can't be demolished?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM

I think so, they were certainly larger, older houses. I saw a man trying to close a front door that looked so crooked that it wouldn't even close.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I think so, they were certainly larger, older houses. I saw a man trying to close a front door that looked so crooked that it wouldn't even close.
Years of floods, king tides, earthquakes, and hurricanes all knock them around a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area