Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:38 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

After Nexton gets fully built and Cane Bay, I can only imagine the bottlenecks.

It's sad to see so much grown take over.

Summerville's motto is "The Flower Town in the Pines". Well if it keeps building up and growing and cutting down trees for more growth, we'll have to change our motto to something like "Welcome to Cement City Where Traffic Will Test Your Patience".

Everytime I see more housing going up anywhere in Summerville or close by, I just shake my head wondering how Summerville is going to handle all these people. Let's just hope they don't mow down Azalea Park to build condos.

Cane Bay, don't they come to Summerville to shop if they need Kohls, Lowes or Belk? I think so.

Pic of Cane Bay, which is still expanding.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 04-29-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,448 times
have only been up to Summerville twice in the past few years, once to go to lunch, and once to go car shopping - both on Saturday afternoons. Traffic both times was horrible. I feel your pain. Worse than Folly Road in the middle of summer.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
After Nexton gets fully built and Cane Bay, I can only imagine the bottlenecks.

It's sad to see so much grown take over.

Summerville's motto is "The Flower Town in the Pines". Well if it keeps building up and growing and cutting down trees for more growth, we'll have to change our motto to something like "Welcome to Cement City Where Traffic Will Test Your Patience".

Everytime I see more housing going up anywhere in Summerville or close by, I just shake my head wondering how Summerville is going to handle all these people. Let's just hope they don't mow down Azalea Park to build condos.

Cane Bay, don't they come to Summerville to shop if they need Kohls, Lowes or Belk? I think so.

Pic of Cane Bay, which is still expanding.
A little dramatic. Like I said on page 1, you should actually want Cane Bay and Carnes to get built out as fast as they can, at least commercially and with office space. As soon as they get their amenities, thats less that people in Goose Creek, Monks Corner, etc have to come to Summerville.

Summerville is basically the anchor for the north area. That's why things seem so bad. But these mega communities are gonna be so big, they'll eventually be their own micro-cities, or thats my hope, which will mean shorter commutes to work and shopping.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Another reason why people shouldnt argue with more roads. Developers build where ever. Roads or no roads. The more roads we have the more options. Traffic is still going to be near the shopping areas but you will have more options to avoid it

Old 04-29-2017, 12:01 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
A little dramatic. Like I said on page 1, you should actually want Cane Bay and Carnes to get built out as fast as they can, at least commercially and with office space. As soon as they get their amenities, thats less that people in Goose Creek, Monks Corner, etc have to come to Summerville.

Summerville is basically the anchor for the north area. That's why things seem so bad. But these mega communities are gonna be so big, they'll eventually be their own micro-cities, or thats my hope, which will mean shorter commutes to work and shopping.
Curious, do you live in Summerville and drive the roads on a regular basis? How does all the housing/business growth on other side of I-26 help right now? Right now everyone pretty much comes to Summerville. Have you heard that Lowes, Whole Foods, Home Depots, Belk, Walmarts, Targets, Best Buy, BJs and other businesses are soon going to be built near Carnes Cross roads? Please share what you've heard.

I'm just being honest for those considering moving here that the traffic is horrible and getting worse and worse. Call it over-dramatic if you want. That's fine. It's the truth. Move here and plan to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. Or anyone considering the move, stay here for a week or so to form your own opinion. Don't take my opinion as truth. Stay here and see if it is something that you could put up with. Drive all around Summerville...not just the town area.

I will bow out of this thread. I don't see the point in arguing if Summerville has awful traffic or not. If you don't think so or think it's normal, that's great. We all have opinions but don't have to agree. :-)

Last edited by diddlydudette; 04-29-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:59 PM

370 posts, read 947,097 times
I would take Summerville traffic over many other hot spots, such as the daily bottleneck over the Don Holt bridge from Clements Ferry Rd. Talk about a grueling ride home to Dorchester Rd...
Summerville is still one one the better traffic areas in my opinion.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
The problem in Summerville seems to be the lack of planning for the new buildings and roads. Classic example is the new Lowe's Food Store near Old Trolley & Ladson Road -- Nobody's explained how they plan to get the shoppers out of that parking lot and back onto Dorchester Road. That section of Dorch Road might be the worst quarter mile in all of South Carolina. Why they needed a Lowe's Food Market when there's 2 Publix, a Teeter's and a Food Lion within a stone's throw. They just approve building permits because they see a tax ratable.....with no thought to the infrastructure needed to support it.

They should have bull-dozed those two deserted Strip Malls there and built a "second" Summerville, so that everybody in that section of town doesn't need to drive 5 miles to get to Main Street. They could have created a pedestrian mall lined with shops and restaurants, maybe even incorporated that part of the Ashley Riverfront. But that might have taken too much "planning" from our Planning Board.

They'll never be able to fix Main Street until they build a parallel road to handle the cars that don't want to stop at the Mess along Main. At the rate they build roads.....connecting the BGM to Route 26 would take 10 years.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
The problem in Summerville seems to be the lack of planning for the new buildings and roads. Classic example is the new Lowe's Food Store near Old Trolley & Ladson Road -- Nobody's explained how they plan to get the shoppers out of that parking lot and back onto Dorchester Road. That section of Dorch Road might be the worst quarter mile in all of South Carolina. Why they needed a Lowe's Food Market when there's 2 Publix, a Teeter's and a Food Lion within a stone's throw. They just approve building permits because they see a tax ratable.....with no thought to the infrastructure needed to support it.

They should have bull-dozed those two deserted Strip Malls there and built a "second" Summerville, so that everybody in that section of town doesn't need to drive 5 miles to get to Main Street. They could have created a pedestrian mall lined with shops and restaurants, maybe even incorporated that part of the Ashley Riverfront. But that might have taken too much "planning" from our Planning Board..
Dont forget about the 2 walmart markets and a regular walmart thats. As far as a second summer, I hope thats what they might do in the future and lowes will be a good anchor because remember with certain grocey stores like that, other stores come with it. Also if i remember correctly where swing and swine is that old building is suppose to be turned into an apartment building. But again it wont so much increase traffic because that area would be walkable for the group of apartments thats near there.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:41 PM

252 posts, read 264,177 times
I'm finding a handful of oddities around here with traffic that I'm not sure what to make of. I agree with the general sentiment about Summerville, particularly between BGM and 26. For that reason, I tend to stay away from there during... well, most of the time. I'm in Ladson, so if I need Walmart, I can take a back way to the one on Dorchester by way of Westcott and the traffic isn't too bad.

What irritates me is the apparent lack of planning on my street, Blue House Rd. I think at some point, it was to connect with Northside drive to be a continuous frontage road along 26 between 78 and Ashley Phosphate. Right now, there are just two apartment complexes and for the times I need to get in and out, it's not too terrible, but I just found out there is an extended stay hotel being built right outside my front door at Ingleside Plantation apartments. Without any significant road work on the other end of Blue House, this is going to make it a nightmare, especially during tourist season. I have a feeling there's eventually going to be a cross road built to connect Blue House with Ingleside blvd, and if that's the case, it shouldn't be too bad. It'd even make my drive to work better.

Barring that, however, I may have to reconsider when it comes time to renew my lease next year.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 PM

They already started cutting down trees to connect that road to weber. Should be before the year is out before its open. Maybe before. So now you want even have to get on 78
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area