Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 01:01 PM

252 posts, read 261,861 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting myself a good portable camping hammock and was wondering if anyone knew of places that are okay with strapping one to a pair of trees (no hardware or anything that would damage the trees) and lounge on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Ideally, I'd like to do it close to water or even the beach if such a place exists.

I keep reading about the Hammock Coast and all the hammock shops in and around Pawley's, but never actual places to hang one.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,702 times
Don't even try it on the Battery -- I don't think you'll be incarcerated but close to it! White Point Gardens was a great spot to "perch" your hammock once upon a time, but there has been a crackdown these last years. Mainly, justified by the deteriorating of the trees.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 AM

4,797 posts, read 3,472,069 times
I bought one from a Army Surplus store off of North Main in Summerville, a few bucks, fits in your back back. Smaller than an umbrella. Online sells them too.
I hung it on the porch.
But, its hard to say where anyone would allow you to legally relax in such a manner..Tree huggers would freak because the tree is getting scarred. LEO would probably cite you a city ordnance saying you cant relax at the expense of others. lOL

Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 AM

252 posts, read 261,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I bought one from a Army Surplus store off of North Main in Summerville, a few bucks, fits in your back back. Smaller than an umbrella. Online sells them too.
I hung it on the porch.
But, its hard to say where anyone would allow you to legally relax in such a manner..Tree huggers would freak because the tree is getting scarred. LEO would probably cite you a city ordnance saying you cant relax at the expense of others. lOL
I've been trying to research it, and yeah, I see how it's no bueno in Charleston proper. I was thinking somewhere outside of the city. I emailed the park service and asked if it's okay to hang on the boneyard trees at Hunting Island when it re-opens and they said it's okay as long as it's just straps. I'm trying to find something a little closer to the Charleston metro area, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to be out of luck.

Right now, I live in an apartment, so hanging one here is a no go. I'm just looking for a place to spend a lazy Saturday, and the idea of swinging on a hammock while listening to the ocean waves seems like paradise.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,840,259 times
You might xan try overton park in monck coner. It puts you right by the water.. well a lake and its closer to summerville than the actual beach

Old 04-30-2017, 03:00 PM

482 posts, read 840,994 times
i've seen people at pitt st bridge with them

Old 04-30-2017, 04:10 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,514,470 times
Under the pier at Folly seems to be a popular spot. I see hammocks there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area