Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:09 PM

275 posts, read 430,723 times

Advertisements

I remember that day well. Myers Mill had no flooding but a few of us had some leaking roofs. I never ever saw so much rain fall in a single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 PM

51 posts, read 69,409 times
Great thanks again @BSJSAS & @gliderguy. really helpful. while looking online I saw another area Blackberry Creek... Thoughts? Prices seem lower than some other areas so I am not sure what is driving that.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM

727 posts, read 715,896 times
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Blackberry Creek. Hopefully, someone else is. I did look at their HOA rules, and they seemed a little intense to me. Some are standard, but some like "Flags other than US and SC require ACC approval" made me smh. Lots and lots of rules and penalties but unless you ask someone who lives there, you never know how much they really enforce. Here's an example: http://www.cmgcharleston.com/Blackbe...nforcement.pdf

The fact that they state the list isn't even inclusive means you could be cited for almost anything!

Just a quick look at realtor.com shows 5 listings that appear to have been on the market for some time. A realtor could pull the neighborhood data to see what has actually sold, though.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Late to this thread but there's been a lot of good tips on the neighborhoods. Agreed that most if not all HOA's in Summerville wouldn't allow chickens. I know that's the case in Ashborough as was mentioned. They definitely had some serious flooding in Ashborough but it wasn't the whole neighborhood. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods for larger lots but I like older homes too.

Blackberry Creek is a KB Homes development. KB is no longer operating in SC and I know they ran into trouble during the downturn. There were lawsuits in FL and NC if I remember correctly. I don't know of any problems with the houses in Blackberry Creek specifically though. In the last year, there have been 17 homes closed, 4 more are under contract and 7 are actively for sale on the MLS. There's 180 or so homes in the neighborhood I think. Some have sat on the market very long but enough of them sell in under two weeks as well. The ones that sat were/are probably problematic in some way... I don't think it reflects on the neighborhood as a whole.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Blackberry Creek. Hopefully, someone else is. I did look at their HOA rules, and they seemed a little intense to me. Some are standard, but some like "Flags other than US and SC require ACC approval" made me smh. Lots and lots of rules and penalties but unless you ask someone who lives there, you never know how much they really enforce. Here's an example: http://www.cmgcharleston.com/Blackbe...nforcement.pdf

The fact that they state the list isn't even inclusive means you could be cited for almost anything!

Just a quick look at realtor.com shows 5 listings that appear to have been on the market for some time. A realtor could pull the neighborhood data to see what has actually sold, though.
I think the flag rule is code for "no Confederate Flags".

Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy100 View Post
i think the flag rule is code for "no confederate flags".
:d

Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
You should always check out the FEMA Flood Maps before getting serious about any subdivision in this area -- they call it the Lowcountry for a reason. The Ashborough development is divided into two halves by Dorchester Road. The "Low" half, along the Ashley River, had the worst of it during those storms.

BTW -- regarding the FEMA Events of the last 2 years. A lot of the flooding was not caused by rising River water. A large part of the damage was caused by the culverts under the roads being clogged by dead branches and leaves backing up the drainage into yards.

Also, as far as chickens are concerned. I'd be annoyed if my neighbor started raising chickens....them dam birds stink. The local supermarkets will sell you chickens on the cheap -- cleaned, plucked and ready to cook. Heck, they even have this fast food joint called Raisin' Cane's that will cook white meat only and serve it with fries and a biscuit.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 AM

I agree that you should always check out FEMA flood maps before buying a home but mainly to learn how much flood insurance will cost. To learn if a house has experienced flooding, you're better off talking with the neighbors. Many homes in "high risk" FEMA zones have never flooded and many in the "low risk" zones have (including some in Ashborough).

From what I've seen, people with chickens are usually raising them for the eggs and for the "fun" of it. I have friends who have chickens and there isn't much stink with a small number of chickens.

Beth727, have you considered the West Ashley area? You can find homes there that are in your budget and you would be a lot closer to the beach. Shadowmoss comes to mind as a subdivision with an established treesscape and an HOA that's probably not overboard. It is a neighborhood that has also experienced flooding in parts in Oct '15 and from Matthew last fall so again, any property there would have to be checked into carefully but that's the case anywhere around Charleston.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Late to this thread but there's been a lot of good tips on the neighborhoods. Agreed that most if not all HOA's in Summerville wouldn't allow chickens. I know that's the case in Ashborough as was mentioned. They definitely had some serious flooding in Ashborough but it wasn't the whole neighborhood. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods for larger lots but I like older homes too.

Blackberry Creek is a KB Homes development. KB is no longer operating in SC and I know they ran into trouble during the downturn. There were lawsuits in FL and NC if I remember correctly. I don't know of any problems with the houses in Blackberry Creek specifically though. In the last year, there have been 17 homes closed, 4 more are under contract and 7 are actively for sale on the MLS. There's 180 or so homes in the neighborhood I think. Some have sat on the market very long but enough of them sell in under two weeks as well. The ones that sat were/are probably problematic in some way... I don't think it reflects on the neighborhood as a whole.
LH, I was hoping you'd join in!

To the OP: if you need a realtor, I recommend LocalHero. He did a great job for us!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
LH, I was hoping you'd join in!

To the OP: if you need a realtor, I recommend LocalHero. He did a great job for us!
Thank you BSJSAS! Hope all is going well with you! I like to keep up with the forum but there's only so much time in a day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area