Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 PM

973 posts, read 914,052 times

Advertisements

Lots of texting drivers. Lots of traffic weavers. Lots of tailgaters. Lots of lane-changers that don't signal. Lots of drivers that love to race to red lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times
I am from MA as is Macalan. I have also lived/driven in NYC, LA, Philly, SanFran, Ohio, CT, Chicago, London, Ireland, Madrid, SC (since 2000), MTP and Lexington), and I have driven in most points in between, but I will limit my post to MA and SC drivers:

MA drivers were the worst with SC much more civil. That is until demographics, economy, and a host of other things changed. Without a lot of analyzing the specifics:

MA drivers have "calmed down" some and I attribute this to more and more "from off" moving in. They are less aggressive than the "natives".

SC drivers have become "more aggressive" and I attribute this to more and more "from off" moving in. They are more aggressive than the "natives".

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,936,390 times
I think it's in everyone's head. In Florida it seemed like I was white knuckled everywhere I drove. Here I just relax and cruise. I'm ok with not turning Mount Pleasant into a police state just to try and catch somebody texting. I'm not even sure how you would do that.

Not saying people don't do dumb stuff, but if you're driving for an hour or so a day, every day, coming across millions of different drivers over the course of the year, you're going to see somebody doing something stupid. It's not restricted to just Mount Pleasant by any means.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:23 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,004,543 times
Ziggy, it's not just that drivers are doing stupid things. It's the results of these drivers doing stupid things - the "wrecks" - many of them killing innocent people - that's important here. The recent accident on 41 that killed a high school student was due to someone following too closely, not paying attention, likely speeding, who didn't see the car in front of them stopped & couldn't stop in time. So a young person's life was cut short due to someone else's poor driving. 55 accidents a week just in MP & the number of fatals here is excessive. I'd gladly welcome more police presence on the roads to cut down on this figure, as it costs us not just in the risk of bodily harm and risk to our health (white knuckle driving), but in higher insurance premiums. If people are driving responsibly, they shouldn't care about police on the road. I know many people who would also welcome it. Maybe it will save a few lives. Friends of ours who are not from here and are very responsible drivers have been rear-ended FIVE times in the last couple of years due to people not paying attention who were driving too fast and "didn't notice" the car in front of them was stopped at a light. These friends drive a lot more than I do, but I haven't been rear-ended five times in over 20 years of driving in MA. You must drive a Hummer to not be bothered driving on these roads.

Last edited by macalan; 06-08-2017 at 03:46 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,284 times
Macalan, Since this is an issue you seem to be pretty concerned about, why don't you get involved in our city government and attend a few council meetings to voice your concerns?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 AM

973 posts, read 914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Ziggy, it's not just that drivers are doing stupid things. It's the results of these drivers doing stupid things - the "wrecks" - many of them killing innocent people - that's important here. The recent accident on 41 that killed a high school student was due to someone following too closely, not paying attention, likely speeding, who didn't see the car in front of them stopped & couldn't stop in time. So a young person's life was cut short due to someone else's poor driving. 55 accidents a week just in MP & the number of fatals here is excessive. I'd gladly welcome more police presence on the roads to cut down on this figure, as it costs us not just in the risk of bodily harm and risk to our health (white knuckle driving), but in higher insurance premiums. If people are driving responsibly, they shouldn't care about police on the road. I know many people who would also welcome it. Maybe it will save a few lives. Friends of ours who are not from here and are very responsible drivers have been rear-ended FIVE times in the last couple of years due to people not paying attention who were driving too fast and "didn't notice" the car in front of them was stopped at a light. These friends drive a lot more than I do, but I haven't been rear-ended five times in over 20 years of driving in MA. You must drive a Hummer to not be bothered driving on these roads.
Was rear-ended my second day in Charleston. A great welcome! I've never been in an accident in my entire driving career. Granted I'm only early 30's, so I've got plenty of miles left to go (hopefully).

Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
That's true, but the number of lanes on a highway and the countless number of drivers in Houston, ATL, or whatever other big metro dwarfs what Charleston has. For how easy it should be to drive here, there seems to be a lot of dumb accidents.
Trust me, in Houston they take it up to a whole other level of stupid. It's one of two cities I've seen people flying down the breakdown lane at 80+ to pass people already going highway speed in the fast lane. Also getting your car stolen while you're in the middle of a fistfight with the person in front of you is a thing.

Road rage ends in bizarre car theft near the Eastex Freeway | abc13.com

Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,936,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
You don't think this is a tad bit circumstantial? Is there some stat that says Mount Pleasant leads the nation in traffic accidents per capita?

I honestly don't think there's much that can be done about it until automotive technology catches up to cell phone technology.
I don't notice people texting unless I'm at a stoplight and I look over at them otherwise I wouldn't be paying attention to where I'm driving. Police can't force people to pay attention. Your insurance premiums will most likely keep rising regardless because cars cost more to fix and there's more of them on the road every year.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,438,741 times
I agree with Ziggy. Macalan, if you left Charleston today and moved to Savannah, youll eventually be saying the same exact thing. Thats just our perceptions.

Mt P isnt in a crisis, but how Mt P has grown affects how we see it today vs even 10 years ago.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 10,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I agree with Ziggy. Macalan, if you left Charleston today and moved to Savannah, youll eventually be saying the same exact thing. Thats just our perceptions.

Mt P isnt in a crisis, but how Mt P has grown affects how we see it today vs even 10 years ago.
Well, statistics don't lie. When an area has higher than average accidents and mortality... then our insurance rates go up. When there's less.. they go down. Unless there are less people on the phone in one city versus another which I highly doubt. Compare insurance rates in Mount Pleasant per month for a car to another locale. That's not perception, that's data driven reality.

Mine are 3 times what a comparable rate is for Greenville. For a city given it's size, we have bad traffic and (accordingly) alot of accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area