Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:26 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I can explain.
The rock concert idea was part of a scare tactic developed to get people to sign a petition to oppose the stadium. Some of the more naïve residents fell for it and assumed Aerosmith would be playing a local high school stadium everyday of the entire year keeping them up at night. Then they further embarrassed themselves by saying that in public not realizing that rock concerts are so 1985 and their comments were being recorded by the media. There was even a small chuckle in the room.
If they would have said "Jimmy Buffett concert", nobody would have signed the petition, cause everybody loves Buffett. "Rock concert" just sounds much scarier with the drugs and groupies and all that jazz turning the CP into the Sunset Strip overnight.

But if you notice in the article, essentially none of the residents opposing the stadium actually had children in the school district. They moved next to the largest high school in South Carolina and were appalled the school district had the gall to put a high school stadium there as well.

I'm okay with rock concerts, but what about tractor pulls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have left a few rows of the beautiful, tall existing trees as the buffer than to spend money planting a new, less substantial screen? It's not that hard to work around a tree buffer during construction.
Problem is too -- that those trees that look lovely are either not sturdy, sound or likely to exist much longer. I think there are protections for the really stately -- REAL old trees...but lots of other trees that look good -- aren't really the best for long term.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuman View Post
i'm okay with rock concerts, but what about tractor pulls?
Exactly. Choose your poison.

Once all those families have kids in Wando and they all are going to football games they are going to be grateful they are so close. That drive from Park West, Dunes West & Carolina Park to the old stadium on a Friday night was brutal (not for me -- i heard the stories -- lol).

They will hear the band practice at night. I would love that.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:09 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Was it not always on the drawing boards? Like those that "found out" there was an airport in the area. It was always there dummies.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Was it not always on the drawing boards? Like those that "found out" there was an airport in the area. It was always there dummies.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't, Oceanside was listed in the Master Plan either but it is now.... that being said I'm of the opinion that the Stadium should be at the Wando Campus rather than across the road.

http://carolinapark.com/interactive-map-carolina-park/

I think they'd be better off buying the land south of the Center for advanced studies instead.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:19 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I'm pretty sure it wasn't, Oceanside was listed in the Master Plan either but it is now.... that being said I'm of the opinion that the Stadium should be at the Wando Campus rather than across the road.

Mt Pleasant | Interactive master plan community map :: Carolina Park

I think they'd be better off buying the land south of the Center for advanced studies instead.
Before I bought in CP I just assumed there was already a stadium at the high school. It wasn't till later I found out the stadium and the school were on opposite sides of town.
I don't really care where they put it.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Before I bought in CP I just assumed there was already a stadium at the high school. It wasn't till later I found out the stadium and the school were on opposite sides of town.
I don't really care where they put it.
Ya.... I'm surprised it has taken them this long to move the stadium..... granted I'd prefer if they just kept adding capacity at Wando rather than building 2 new HS's. It'd be interesting to see just how varied a curriculum it could get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area