Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Charleston is still my home. I'll continue to read about it as I may return. Further, this issue apparently isn't limited to only Charleston, as you are the one who tried to use a potential limit in Cedar Rapids as your example.

Just....can't ......let....it......go.

Must have been an officer.
It's not a nationwide debate, it's my opinion, one of many that you don't agree with that for some reason you seem to be particularly hung up on. You clearly don't even know what a snout house is in the first place.

If you want to live in a treeless urban sprawl paradise of cheap houses and trailer parks, knock yourself out. Just don't loose too much sleep over the fact I don't share your vision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times

Old 06-17-2017, 08:40 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If you want to live in a treeless urban sprawl paradise of cheap houses and trailer parks, knock yourself out. Just don't loose too much sleep over the fact I don't share your vision.
I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I joked that I wish everyone would look at photos from the original construction of Byrnes Downs- its a West Ashley neighborhood known for small brick houses, being close to downtown, and a huge number of large oaks. When it was built it was as clear cut as any Summerville/Bees Ferry/outer Goose Creek neighborhood you would find. All it takes to solve the treelessness is a seedling (or a 5 gallon tree at Lowes) and a little less than a decade. Even putting in a 10' tree is much less expensive than it once was.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I was discussing this with a friend the other day. I joked that I wish everyone would look at photos from the original construction of Byrnes Downs- its a West Ashley neighborhood known for small brick houses, being close to downtown, and a huge number of large oaks. When it was built it was as clear cut as any Summerville/Bees Ferry/outer Goose Creek neighborhood you would find. All it takes to solve the treelessness is a seedling (or a 5 gallon tree at Lowes) and a little less than a decade. Even putting in a 10' tree is much less expensive than it once was.
The deal with snout houses though is that they're built with essentially no setback. The idea is that so much of the yard is consumed by the house and garage on such a small property, the garage has nowhere else to go.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
The deal with snout houses though is that they're built with essentially no setback. The idea is that so much of the yard is consumed by the house and garage on such a small property, the garage has nowhere else to go.
They should usually have atleast 20' setback from easement to allow for front parking in most zoning scenarios. The one time they probably would not is if they are in a planned/high density/minimal lot line community. And locally when people go that tight they just switch to a condo/townhouse type of development. I see a lot of builders just skipping the garage outright and selling it as new urban or Charleston style.

I'm actually not always the greatest fan of alleys either since instead of cars in front you have everybody and all their clutter on an alley that they then treat as their entry. It also means additional concrete or asphalt.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
They should usually have atleast 20' setback from easement to allow for front parking in most zoning scenarios. The one time they probably would not is if they are in a planned/high density/minimal lot line community. And locally when people go that tight they just switch to a condo/townhouse type of development. I see a lot of builders just skipping the garage outright and selling it as new urban or Charleston style.

I'm actually not always the greatest fan of alleys either since instead of cars in front you have everybody and all their clutter on an alley that they then treat as their entry. It also means additional concrete or asphalt.
I can't think of any houses with prominent garages anywhere in the Charleston area. Either they've been ordinanced away or they just don't seem to be that popular to begin with.
Skipping the garage makes some sense since most people use theirs just as a storage unit anyway.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
I can't think of any houses with prominent garages anywhere in the Charleston area. Either they've been ordinanced away or they just don't seem to be that popular to begin with.
Skipping the garage makes some sense since most people use theirs just as a storage unit anyway.
I would never consider a home without a garage and I always park my car in my garage.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would never consider a home without a garage and I always park my car in my garage.
Me too. But well... 90% of people don't. They fill their garage with stuff. No room for even 1 car in my experience.

I agree snouthouses or whatever, are not as inviting as homes of past ages. Sure m1 people can choose what they want... On the other hand, it's nice to also have neighborhood variety, and neighborhoods that put more focus on more trees and yard, and less pavement. For every beautiful Charleston or Savannah neighborhood, there will be a suburban expanse like Pooler, GA. Maybe there is space for both sides?
Only thing is, sprawl does like to grow past any confines that are planned. But oh well. That's local politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area