Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM

275 posts, read 430,343 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the HOA fees are for The Ponds, The Gables and Pine Forest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:40 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
gliderguy --

I did a quick look thru the MLS and here's what I see as far as HOA Fees....

The Ponds is $750 annually for Clubhouse, Common Pool, and Playground.
White Gables varies a few bucks around $650 a year, and adds Tennis Courts to the above mix.
Pine Forest CC is about $479 a year, for all 4 amenities -- and I think the Golf Membership is extra.

These are the numbers shown in the current active listings. You should ask that specific question on any property that you get serious about buying.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:24 PM

I was not looking to buy, just compare HOA fees to where I live. We got a new board this past year and the turmoil on our Facebook page is somewhat crazy right now. They are planning on raising the rates which I can understand but they have a ton of homeowners who have not paid their HOA dues for years. The management company did squat to try and collect them and they are claiming the legal fees don't make it worthwhile to pursue. So instead charge the paying members more, that does not sit well with me.

I just wanted to understand what kind of HOA fees other sub-divisions are charging in the area. From what someone else said Pine Forest you have to pay extra to use the pool. Considering how nice the Ponds looks I can understand why their fees are double what we currently pay.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM

You're an ex-Jersey Guy, like me. If a homeowner values his kneecaps.....he pays his HOA Fees on time.

The Board is supposed to enforce these things -- the first time it happens. It wouldn't take much of a Legal Team to put a Contractor's Lien on the Offenders. They can't sell the house til the Lien is paid. You might not even need a Lawyer to file that paperwork with county.

Which Management Company is this ??

Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 AM

They were using DRES. DRES in the 8 years running this HOA filed zero liens. The management company did squat and the builder was running the HOA until last year. This is our 2nd year with the home owners running it. They have over $62,000 in unpaid dues. It's crazy, and now they want to raise the rates because of the dead beats.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Community Mgmt Group runs ours, and they have a number of other developments around the area. I'd petition the Board to get CMG to bid on the services. CMG actually rides thru here every once in a while and they will send a letter to the Homeowner with an "observation" If you get too many of those in your File....they will take action.

An HOA run by citizens can tend to be too lenient with their fellow homeowners.

What kind of Amenities do you have ??

Good Luck with it.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Planters Pointe is about $700.00 per year and it includes all amenities.

Collection costs can be passed on. We had one that owed us $1,800.00 (3 years) but with interest and legal costs the owed amount was close to $5,000.00. In SC the HOA can take them to small claims court (Magistrates Court) and get a lien filed. The lien which be settled upon sale of the home in order to get a clear title. In SC, you do not need a lawyer to do this. An Officer of the Corporation can do this for a cost in the range of $75.00.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 AM

That's who they got was CMG to replace DRES. They started last week. That is another reason the dues are going up, CMG charges 3x what DRES charged. I'm not one to pick on neighbors who don't have the best looking lawns, but I am really ticked we will be paying more to cover the dead beats. This HOA has a pool and walking trail. The trail is not in good condition from what I understand due to lack of funds to repair it. Most of the home owners don't seem to care much about the trail, they would prefer a play park for the kids but there is not enough funding for one. The only way to get rid of the trail is a 75% vote which the HOA said would be near impossible to get.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguy View Post
I was not looking to buy, just compare HOA fees to where I live. We got a new board this past year and the turmoil on our Facebook page is somewhat crazy right now. They are planning on raising the rates which I can understand but they have a ton of homeowners who have not paid their HOA dues for years. The management company did squat to try and collect them and they are claiming the legal fees don't make it worthwhile to pursue. So instead charge the paying members more, that does not sit well with me.

I just wanted to understand what kind of HOA fees other sub-divisions are charging in the area. From what someone else said Pine Forest you have to pay extra to use the pool. Considering how nice the Ponds looks I can understand why their fees are double what we currently pay.
If they have not paid in years, the HOA needs to put a lien on the houses. They can't sell until they pay up. This is what HOA's do and yours is not doing it's job. They need to put liens on the homes for HOA fees, fines, collection fees (lawyers),interest. They can then foreclose on the lien if need be. By not doing anything they are saying to homeowners it is ok not to pay.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:48 PM

In the places that I see, the baseline HOA Fee for just a Pool and a Natural Area is $350 - $375. If you are paying more than that.......than something has to change. As a first step, CMG should hit the Deadbeats with Liens. The guy I bought my house from had a Lien, it was a Line item on his Closing Statement.

There are no free rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area