Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
After all of that was done and the million cones were in place on Bees Ferry, it still took them years to do what could have been done in a few months. It simply a job works program meant to last a long long time.

I saw 10 guys standing around on Brownswood Road this week while 1 guy shoveled asphalt to fix the road edges. Ten! These are problems even Ray Charles can see.

And Chas County will be back in a couple years asking for another 1/2 cent sales tax increase.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Daily traffic jams happen even in high tax states. Even if we had the cheat code that allowed infinite money for infrastructure it's difficult to build as fast as people are moving in.
Traffic in cities below a million is rarely as bad as Charleston. The roads are 20-30 years behind the population growth.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
South Carolina has the sixth largest black population in the country. Southern states dominate the top ten list in that regard. The non-Southern states have the most pronounced lack of diversity overall, in the US, with the most extreme lack in the blue states especially New England. The white population of Southern states predominates in the lower half of the list of states.

Education wise, South Carolina is hardly alone in lack of proficiency. The number one best state is Massachusetts, where the average number of students AT or ABOVE proficient is barely 50 percent. The rest of the country is in the same general range of poor scores.

The REAL difference is in how much money each state spends to get basically the same poor results. Cuba, which spends barely a tenth of what the US spends per student, is ranked about the same as the US on the global scale.

But... old myths die hard I know.
Perhaps we should spend less on higher education and much more on primary schooling?

Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
When I was young my dad used to tell me, while passing by such sightings, that this is why it's important to do well in school so I did not end being the one guy down in the hole.
Don't knock it unless you've tried it! Construction work pays well for equipment operators and it's very satisfying at the end of a day to see tangible results.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:27 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
South Carolina as a whole:

Public Education: Low reading and math scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress exams, high tuition and fees at public colleges, low pre-school enrollment figures and low two-year college graduation rates.

Lack of Diversity: 68% white, 27.5% African American, 5% Hispanic, 1% Asian...
To make it roughly reflect the US keep the White and Asian numbers the same, cut the Black number by a bit more than half and triple the Hispanic number.

You were saying what about lack of diversity?

Old 07-08-2017, 04:29 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Don't knock it unless you've tried it! Construction work pays well for equipment operators and it's very satisfying at the end of a day to see tangible results.

I said nothing about equipment operators. I'm speaking of the person down in a hole with a shovel being watched by 3 other smucks looking down in the hole while chewing the fat.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Perhaps we should spend less on higher education and much more on primary schooling?

I don't think the problem in primary public schools is spending, is what I've been trying to say.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:35 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
In my opinion, one of the most disappointing things about our State is the LITTER you see everywhere.

I have seen so much trash tossed from cars -- cars that seem just 1 pothole away from the junkyard !! There was a truck that swept out of it's bed a week's worth of fast food wrappers. A beat-up old Hundai driver dumped his load......within an arm's length of a garbage can. Just this morning, we dropped someone off at the CHS Airport. The front of the Terminal was spoiled by litter blowing around the landscaping. To visitors "first impressions are lasting impressions"

We live in one of America's most beautiful cities. The time it takes to put your trash is the proper receptacle is a small price to pay for living in paradise.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Traffic in cities below a million is rarely as bad as Charleston. The roads are 20-30 years behind the population growth.
Most cities aren't rapidly increasing in population.
Roads are paid for by the current population, not the popluation 20-30 years into the future. Unless you want a massive tax increase, be careful what you wish for.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Reason #____ THE COASTAL AREAS ARE FILLING UP WITH YANKEES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area