U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,248 times

Advertisements

I am new to the board, and am just looking for some advice. I am strongly considering moving from SW Michigan to Charleston. I am 25 and have taught for two years, but hate winters here. I have been to Charleston about five times, and know I would love the area, but I am worried about finding a teaching job once I get there. Also, which public schools are rated the highest in the area? I visited and talked with the principal at Wando when I visited last summer and was impressed. Does anyone know much about the school district there and how possible it would be to land a job? Also, which areas provide the most bang for the buck when it comes to apartment living? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 12:34 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,094,328 times
I am sure you will find teaching jobs in Charleston Area--Go to the website for the local newspaper, Post & Courier and look up jobs-education.

the best area is Mt Pleasant, expensive to live as it is the most expensive place in the state but it is a suburb of Charleston and very good schools.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:15 PM

15 posts, read 42,280 times
Mt. PLeasant and Goose Creek (CROWFIELD subdivision) are good options and close enought to Down Town Charleston.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 83,054 times
Dorchester 2 School District, which covers the Summerville area in Dorchester County, is regarded as one of the best school districts in the state. Summerville is a smaller town, but it's very easy driving distance from Charleston, and would be a less expensive place to rent in than Charleston proper or Mount Pleasant. Since the Summerville/Dorchester area is growing so much, I would think there would be no shortage of apartment rentals in the vicinity.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,515 times
I recently moved to SC from SE Michigan when my husband was offered a teaching position. Because of the cost of housing and the location of his job, we decided Charleston was not an option for us, however we really like it. We found the much smaller town of Walterboro to be a good fit for us. There are a couple of decent, affordable apartment complexes, and it is about 45 minutes to an hour to drive to Charleston, depending on where exactly you are going(many people make the commute). As far as jobs in the area, I believe both Dorchester and Berkeley counties are planning on building new schools within the next couple of years, and I also believe that they are amongst some of the more desirable districts in the state. There are teaching jobs to be had in Charleston as well, however the caliber of the schools may differ. If you teach math, science, or special ed you should have no trouble finding a job. However, it seems down here jobs are available in all subject areas. In the spring there are job fairs at all of the major universities in Michigan. Recruiters come from across the country. Many employers from high-need areas offer jobs on the spot. If you like Charleston, I would recommend researching your options. We really like the area and the friendly people. It's a great change of pace from metro Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or