Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM

480 posts, read 503,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slshanahanmiller View Post
I live in Ohio
By default we just assume everyone is from Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,241,646 times
Best time of year in Charleston. Lots of us feel that way. Only reason we go to the beach is to let the dogs run and they love the cold water, so it works out perfectly. You couldn't pay me to go to a beach here in the summer. Miserable heat and tourists as far as the eye can see. Shudders.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,209,079 times
Browsing the shops on King in blue jeans and a favorite sweater, and actually enjoying the sunny side of the street is divine!

What a great time to visit! you will love it!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,293,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
By default we just assume everyone is from Ohio.
And once again, Rocky delivers!

Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 AM

6,415 posts, read 1,424,897 times
If you are from Ohio, like all the other northerners here, you will think it is warm in January, when it is really cold. It will be in the 50's and I see these crazy people in shorts in January like they never have been in a mild coastal climate, so crazy people even swim in the ocean in the winter! I can always tell they are from Ohio, New York, or Canada....

Old 08-05-2017, 09:11 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,241,646 times
Coming from someone raised in the piedmont of NC: 50s isn't cold. That one weekend we had this past January where the wind chill was in the teens - that was cold. But then two days later the high was 70. So it's ok.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,557,679 times
Default following thread

lol, I'm also planning a trip to Charleston in the winter. I'm from Philadelphia and as long as it's above freezing, I'll be a happy camper.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:28 PM

355 posts, read 390,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I'll bridge the gap here and say everyone is correct. I would say expect it to be cold in the morning and warm by the afternoon (hopefully). That time of year I could be wearing a jacket and sweatshirt to work and have just a tee shirt on the drive home. The trick is layers.
Your post really sums it up. Nice job. May I add if the winter was so cold and misarble and in light of the hot summers, do you really think people would stay here in the heat and humidity for a horrible winter

Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM

51 posts, read 69,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It will be cold! Don't believe you will get a 70 degree down in January. It will be very cold, and it will be cold and very windy at the beach if you go, still pretty, but cold and windy. Bring heavy jackets and hats. Last year was a fluke! It was warm some in January, but that was the warmest winter in 20 years...
MY husband, SIL and MIL were there this past January and my husband actually had to go but a lightweight jacket cause the lightweight jacket he brought from NY was way too warm. They were in t-shirts a good part of the time they were there. While I get that this may have been a mild January 38 degree low and 60 degree ave high is pretty good. At 60 or even 50 degrees I would not be in a heavy jacket and hat.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,976,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slshanahanmiller View Post
Hello. It appears that we are visiting Charleston for the 1st time January 2018. (Only time we can all get off work and son off from working on Masters Degree). What kind of weather can I expect? Will I be able to get any beach time in?

What should we not miss while we are there?

What should we stay away from?

Where should we eat?

We spend a couple of weeks in the N. Myrtle Beach area each year---but usually in Spring or Fall so I have no idea what to expect weather wise. Our plan is to retire to the Little River area in 2 years!

Thanks for any tips for a Winter Charleston trip!
Actually, at that time of year you can find some OUTSTANDING deals on beach properties. Vrbo.com. It's the off-season so you will be able to find properties that are in line or even less expensive than the normal hotel room.

Check Folly Beach and Isle of Palms, also there will be lots of inventory out in Wild Dunes that time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area