Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:18 PM

95 posts, read 76,659 times

Advertisements

1. Budget: $250k max + $300 monthly regime fees if condo....
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Prefer Townhouse, Condo or small patio home 2br, 2ba
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) RETIRED
4. Children(public school vs. private) None, but prefer good school dist, daughter/child may follow soon
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference? Coastal
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves: Ground level or MBR downstairs, one car garage a plus
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Daniel Island condo or Mt. Pleasant near connector, maybe West Ashley....

Returning in 5 months. Looking for low crime subdivision with grocery store in walking distance, convenient to beach, we are retired, would like to be in community with shopping and dining close by.....Found several 2br/2ba condos on Daniel Island and Park West (The Battery)... really like DI but getting close to the upper limit in regime fees.

Any suggestions.......neighborhoods similar to DI or Park West?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM

After much searching, I found the answer. Thanks anyway...

Old 08-21-2017, 08:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo53 View Post
After much searching, I found the answer. Thanks anyway...
Ouch. Sorry no one responded to your question. Usually folks are pretty generous with their time and information on the forum. I've been too busy to keep up but if you have further questions, ask away.

Walkability to a grocery store will be the hard criteria to fill but I don't think you'll find that at Park West either. Mira Vista on James Island has that but it's not in a neighborhood the way that The Battery is. I think the Regime fees are higher too.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Ouch. Sorry no one responded to your question. Usually folks are pretty generous with their time and information on the forum. I've been too busy to keep up but if you have further questions, ask away.

Walkability to a grocery store will be the hard criteria to fill but I don't think you'll find that at Park West either. Mira Vista on James Island has that but it's not in a neighborhood the way that The Battery is. I think the Regime fees are higher too.
Thank you for your input.... I apologize if my comments sounded harsh. A little extra searching didn't hurt much anyway. We've narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant area or DI. The shopping in Park West is at least a 1.5 miles away from the condo, a minus but the condos have elevators, a big plus. We could get a top floor 2br condo with detached garage in Park West for the same price or less than a 2 br DI condo.

DI is the only community we could find that has lower than average crime, schools from daycare through high school, shopping, dining, all within walking distance for $250K or less. The only drawback is settling for a first floor condo with the possibility of noisy neighbors above. The 2br condos on DI with elevators ($350K+) are above our price range. If you know of any other suggestions, your replies are greatly appreciated.

Unless we find a fantastic deal, we might rent on DI for 6 months to make sure this is right for us.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:54 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo53 View Post
Thank you for your input.... I apologize if my comments sounded harsh. A little extra searching didn't hurt much anyway. We've narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant area or DI. The shopping in Park West is at least a 1.5 miles away from the condo, a minus but the condos have elevators, a big plus. We could get a top floor 2br condo with detached garage in Park West for the same price or less than a 2 br DI condo.

DI is the only community we could find that has lower than average crime, schools from daycare through high school, shopping, dining, all within walking distance for $250K or less. The only drawback is settling for a first floor condo with the possibility of noisy neighbors above. The 2br condos on DI with elevators ($350K+) are above our price range. If you know of any other suggestions, your replies are greatly appreciated.

Unless we find a fantastic deal, we might rent on DI for 6 months to make sure this is right for us.
DI has probably the lowest crime rate around Charleston. Still, it's got it's own "vibe" to it and I'd definitely recommend renting there first or at least an extended visit if you can swing that. Some people love DI but not everyone does.

In Mt P, the only other condos I can think of with both elevators and garages is Cambridge Lakes. These were built around 2000 and are mostly 3 story buildings. They're similar in price to The Battery and regime fees run around $300. I think they're walk-able to the Walmart shopping center (less than a mile) but it might not be the most pleasant walk. I don't think there's a grocery store in that shopping center other than what the Walmart might have.

Cambridge Lakes is closer in to Downtown Charleston than The Battery in Park West by maybe 10 minutes. More if there's a lot of traffic. It's also closer to the beaches.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 PM

It's happening.... sold our home and close on June 1. Never lived in an apartment or condo so we are trying before buying....Signed one year lease on condo on the 3rd floor, corner unit at the Battery at Park West in Mt. Pleasant effective May 15. Wife is jumping with joy to be returning. Are their cable choices here? I noticed the unit has Dish TV....

Old 05-04-2018, 03:42 AM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Comcast and AT&T

Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
Congrats! We rented on DI for 2-1/2 yrs and loved it. So much walkability, peaceful but still vibrant. Walkability and size are the two main differences between DI & MP (& traffic). Check out the condos on Blakeway on DI. A lot of people don’t know about them and they are 3 BR. Also Daniels Landing is reasonable but I like Blakeway St better.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
You'll love Park West. I ride my bike from Carolina Park to Dunes West and all throughout Park West. There's a lot going on there these days.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 AM

I think we will like it. We visited Summerville, West Ashley and James Island several times before choosing Mount Pleasant. I'm convinced that Mt Pleasant traffic is no worse than any of the other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area