Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM

606 posts, read 730,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Personally I think many folks live in WDW type of view.

LOL, we all want
Low taxes
great schools
low cost of living
low cost of housing
big city type of amenities (doctors, entertainment etc)
people want great pay but don't want to drive for it.

There is a trade off no matter where you go. I currently live in Philadelphia and hope to retire to the Savannah/Tybee island area.
You want to talk property taxes?? lol, when I moved from NJ my property taxes were 12,000 bucks a year. that's an additional 1k on top of my mortgage. and I did not have a mini mansion, I had a very routine middle class surburban development house.
Now I live in Philly, yes my housing went way down but the school system sucks (luckily I don't have kids in it) and our sales tax is high (not including a 1.5% extra tax on sugary beverages).
The weather absolutely sucks in the winter.
Yes I have a "high" income job but yes I also have to drive 1 hour each way. throw in bad weather and I'm at 90 mins easily.

Every thing is a trade off, very few people have it all. I've been following charleston real estate on zillow for a while. there seems to be a good mix for 300K. saw a nice 2 bed 3 bath in Mt. Pleasant for under 300K. looking into it and I've yet to see any property with property taxes in the 10's of thousands annually. haven't even come across one where they pay 5K a year. which is a bargain to this girl.
Sub 300K east of the Cooper might buy you a double-wide or a total remodel type home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM

515 posts, read 482,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Being a native, it drives me insane that you Yanks have ruined everything north of the Mason-Dixon line and have decided to bring your ruin to our lovely town. What I see is 6 story buildings, we never had those growing up, what I see is smog, I breath it everyday on the Ravenel Bridge, what I see is "hey, it beats driving an hour in the snow" clogging up our roadways, what I see is a town that's resources (natural and otherwise) being over-used, over polluted, and over populated.

If you want our lifestyle, leave yours up north.
If you want our nice waterways, don't pollute them and pay for condos on our wetlands.
If you want our low taxes, volunteer to pay extra to keep them low.

We welcome you with open arms, it's the southern way, but please respect that we don't want Charleston to be a version of New Jersey with cheaper taxes...

Wow, you're really full of anger. Maybe you should move to NJ.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Wow, you're really full of anger. Maybe you should move to NJ.
Not really, and I would never move to NJ.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Being a native, it drives me insane that you Yanks have ruined everything north of the Mason-Dixon line and have decided to bring your ruin to our lovely town. What I see is 6 story buildings, we never had those growing up, what I see is smog, I breath it everyday on the Ravenel Bridge, what I see is "hey, it beats driving an hour in the snow" clogging up our roadways, what I see is a town that's resources (natural and otherwise) being over-used, over polluted, and over populated.

If you want our lifestyle, leave yours up north.
If you want our nice waterways, don't pollute them and pay for condos on our wetlands.
If you want our low taxes, volunteer to pay extra to keep them low.

We welcome you with open arms, it's the southern way, but please respect that we don't want Charleston to be a version of New Jersey with cheaper taxes...
Actually the Charleston area has some of the best air quality in the US. Charleston area has some of cleanest air in United States, American Lung Association says | News | postandcourier.com

Just playing devil's advocate here but the paper mill and former asbestos and fertilizer plants on the Neck were there long before the recent mass migration and much dirtier than the software, automotive, aircraft, and tourism industries we have now.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM

515 posts, read 482,331 times
Quote:
Not really, and I would never move to NJ.
So just intolerant then. Got it.

Bless your heart.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:

Bless your heart.
lol, well there's one saying that we "northerners" haven't ruined. lol wiseman reminds me of the "old timers" who will complain about anything just to be able to say "back in my day" .... and then go on to say how every thing was "better".

anyhoo, time marches on, those that do not change tend to die. one of the major industries is tourism/hospitality, so the yanks will continue to come.

retirees who want to relocate generally bring money. not sure what "lifestyle" I should leave up north but I'll be sure to leave it with the dogsitter when i come in Jan.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, well there's one saying that we "northerners" haven't ruined. lol wiseman reminds me of the "old timers" who will complain about anything just to be able to say "back in my day" .... and then go on to say how every thing was "better".

anyhoo, time marches on, those that do not change tend to die. one of the major industries is tourism/hospitality, so the yanks will continue to come.

retirees who want to relocate generally bring money. not sure what "lifestyle" I should leave up north but I'll be sure to leave it with the dogsitter when i come in Jan.
I'll give you an example that happened at Publix yesterday in Mt Pleasant. I was turning down the lane in the direction that I'm supposed to travel, I have to stop and let a car come through that's travelling the wrong way, she gets tied up by someone who's moving the right direction, so I reverse and go to the next available lane. On that lane, a car with a Penn State stick is travelling in the wrong direction and I have to stop to let them go by. As they pass I move forward to my available parking spot, then a lady with NY plates jumps the curb, going the wrong way, to take the spot I'm turning into. Jumps the curb.

I stop and roll down my window, stare at her in disbelief and she glares at me with and shouts "WHAT???"

That's what's changed, whether you think it has or hasn't, your perception is your own.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Bless your heart.
Not intolerant, quite the opposite. I tolerate Yankees galore on a daily basis.

As a side not, being a Native, as they say.... I've never once used the term "Bless your heart". Not one single time in my life.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Actually the Charleston area has some of the best air quality in the US. Charleston area has some of cleanest air in United States, American Lung Association says | News | postandcourier.com

Just playing devil's advocate here but the paper mill and former asbestos and fertilizer plants on the Neck were there long before the recent mass migration and much dirtier than the software, automotive, aircraft, and tourism industries we have now.
http://coastalconservationleague.org...LL07-final.pdf

In 2007, Charleston County received an “F” from the
American Lung Association for the amount of hazardous
particle pollution in its air.

According to the Clean Air Task Force, as of 1999,
Charleston ranked among the worst 10% of U.S. cities
for diesel soot pollution.

Diesel exhaust
– whether emanating from traffic congestion on our roads,
or from the vehicles, trucks, ships and equipment associated
with our ports. Compounds in diesel emissions have been
linked in thousands of medical studies to cancer, heart
disease, asthma, and other respiratory diseases.
Among the toxic compounds found in diesel exhaust
is particulate matter, which is found in emissions from
coal fired power plants. According to the American
Lung Association, these tiny particles are harmful to the
maintenance of lung health. Less than 2.5 microns in
diameter, the particles are so small (a human hair is about 70
microns in diameter) that they are inhaled deeply into the
lungs where they are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream,
as easily as oxygen molecules, and carried to the vital organs.
The health risk from diesel exposure is greatest for
children and the elderly; for people who have respiratory
problems or who smoke; for people who regularly strenuously
exercise in diesel-polluted areas, and for people who work
or live near diesel exhaust sources. Studies have also shown
that the closer a child lives to major roads, the higher the
rate of hospital admissions for asthma and the higher the
rate of occurrence for leukemia and cancer. In fact, there is
a positive relationship between school proximity to highways
and asthma rates.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:22 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Charleston's leaders have it in their power to make sure that no matter how many people move here, this place remains livable and beautiful. The leaders are the ones our efforts and sometimes anger need to be focused on. Everyone loves a beautiful, vibrant city. We can't blame people, including people from up north, for wanting to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area