Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times

Advertisements

Just checking out Zillow for Charleston area real estate and saw some lovely property on John Island.

some background demographics.

1) early retiree (58) grown kids, no grandkids
2) looking for some thing under 450K so I won't need a mortgage.
3) Have family in charleston but I'll be moving solo (single, no spouse)
4) wanted to be close to the beach.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 PM

624 posts, read 692,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Just checking out Zillow for Charleston area real estate and saw some lovely property on John Island.

thanks.
Johns Island is crowded and hard to get into and out of at certain times of the day.

It is very picturesque. No way I would buy anything. Move here and rent for a year, don't buy at first. You will thank me later.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 PM

48 posts, read 41,285 times
You get more value for the money you pay (bigger and newer house, big yard, close to Kiawah beach...). The price is quiet in Johns Island now (compare to downtown and Mt Pleasant) because the traffic chases some folks away. Once 526 is built, the houseing price will be up. You are almost retired so you will love Johns Island. Many locals are nice, fresh air, great for retiree but only 30 min to downtown. It is doable to get acres of land with big house and close enough to downtown and beach if you buy in Johns Island.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
Quote:

thanks.
For 450 I'd be looking at James Island or Mount Pleasant. Johns Island has some real problems. The left turn from 17 onto Main Rd can be backed up 3 miles at times. And there's not enough on the island to sustain you, so you're always going back into West Ashley/Charleston to get things done. The 526 extension is extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon. I wouldn't do it.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Johns Island is crowded and hard to get into and out of at certain times of the day.

It is very picturesque. No way I would buy anything. Move here and rent for a year, don't buy at first. You will thank me later.
Oh definitely plan on doing that. hopefully Dec 2018. I'm trying to narrow down where in the Charleston area I want to try

Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
If you are retired, why not make a trip down here for a week or two and scout around? Johns Island, James Island, West Ashley, and Mount Pleasant have VERY different feels, conveniences, traffic, crime, etc.

Even for a rental situation, I'd want to know which place felt most like home to me before settling sight unseen. Because even when you rent, you will start to "make your life" around where you live, and it can be hard to undo when you eventually buy.

You might also check out Daniel Island - might be tough on 450K budget unless you get a condo, but worth a look as sometimes sf houses come up in that range. It's @ 15 min to Sullivan's Island from DI - easy drive. You're also about 15 min to downtown Charleston and the same to MP for big box shopping.

Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
It's a pretty place with Oak Trees and the Stono River, but currently is being developed rapidly to suburbia in the Eastern most side of the island closest to James Island. From here, it is just 15 minutes downtown, and 20 minutes to the beach.
The island is very large, so it depends what area you live in. Suburbs to rural areas and farms, are all on Johns Island. It will grow commercially and residentially in the next few years, and the land is still more affordable now than other areas of Charleston. The County is finally improving the entrance to Johns Island off the Stono Bridge (Maybank Hwy) and it will be better in early 2018 with traffic problems with a pretty entrance to Johns Island coming off the Bridge.

Johns Island has an area of 84 square miles, making it the 4th largest island along the US Eastern Seaboard. There is a population of around 24,000 people. Once inhabited by nomadic tribes, the island has a long history and has been the site of battles and military camps in both the American Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
Largest Islands In The Contiguous United States

RankIsland, StateArea
1Long Island, New York1,401 square miles
2Padre Island, Texas209 square miles
3Isle Royale, Michigan206 square miles
4Whidbey Island, Washington169 square miles
5Drummond Island, Michigan125 square miles
6Mount Desert Island, Maine108 square miles
7Marsh Island, Louisiana100 square miles
8Santa Cruz Island, California98 square miles
9Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts91 square miles
10John Island, South Carolina84 square miles

Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:

thanks.
John's Island is a bit of a drive from the beaches. May I suggest the eastern side of James Island (29412) or Mt Pleasant (29464) if that's your criteria for buying a home. You can find a decent home in either of those zip codes and be closer to the beach than John's Island with the exception of perhaps if you found a place close to the James Island side of John's on say... Maybank Highway. If I were single, I'd also look at Downtown properties 29401,29403,29405 perhaps a nice condo or carriage home and a more central location. 29407 and 29466 are decent options too.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:29 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
The East side of John's Island is no long drive from the beaches. From someone that grew up on the coast all my life and frequents the beach. You can get to Folly beach in 20 minutes easily from the East side of Johns Island. That is not far from the beach. Especially if you take the easy shortcut and avoid Folly Rd, which all locals know about...

It's also only 7 miles to downtown Charleston from East Johns Island.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
I'm retired here and living on Johns Island for 19 yrs. Works great here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area