Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,372,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
How many murders this year in North Charleston?
Is murder the only crime that matters? Regardless the chances of you being a victim are still low, unless you happened to steal somebodys drugs. The point of me pointing out other areas was to show that well, crime is everywhere, but living in fear is ridiculous. The only problem I've ever had at Northwoods was when the FYE employee lied and wouldnt let me return a game that I had the receipt for.

I have a crazy idea, if you want to go to the mall - go, have fun, shop. If you think N Chas is big and scary, then dont go. Its that easy. North Charleston has its problems, but I swear threads like this are always made just so we can have a parade on how big and scary North Charleston is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,145,548 times
To be honest- some people complain about Citadel Mall as well.

I'm not sure how this devolved into a thread on illegals but there is actually a pretty healthy population of legal immigrants in the neighborhoods off Ashley Phosphate. And many a hipster, snowflake and precious liberal raves their trickery to eat at the latin food trucks/restaurants along that corridor.

Only one of those murders is in the true vicinity of the mall since and that appears to have happened 1/2 mile down Rivers near the Walmart. The others are separated by at least a mile and 4-6 lane highways.

The real question isn't if it is safe but if it is pleasurable. A lot of people find that mall packed and its consumer base is a lot different (in terms of wealth, racial demographics and tastes) from Towne Center or Tanger. Some people will prefer that and others will not. That portion of Rivers Ave used to have the highest retail sales in the whole state- I suspect it still does.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM

480 posts, read 499,846 times
The map is misleading. The closest murder is the Colucci Jewelry owner. Do you guys think I'on is unsafe?

Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Is murder the only crime that matters? Regardless the chances of you being a victim are still low, unless you happened to steal somebodys drugs. The point of me pointing out other areas was to show that well, crime is everywhere, but living in fear is ridiculous. The only problem I've ever had at Northwoods was when the FYE employee lied and wouldnt let me return a game that I had the receipt for.

I have a crazy idea, if you want to go to the mall - go, have fun, shop. If you think N Chas is big and scary, then dont go. Its that easy. North Charleston has its problems, but I swear threads like this are always made just so we can have a parade on how big and scary North Charleston is.
You were the one comparing I'on to North Charleston because there was one murder there. If you don't want to talk about North Charleston's continued trend of increasing murder rate, then don't bring it up.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 PM

73 posts, read 157,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Well, facts are pesky things. While there may have been singular issues in MtP, there are constant issues around Northwoods. Everyone feels a level of safety in circumstances they are familiar with. If you weren't from the area, you probably would not feel safe there.

Crime Stats & Online Mapping - North Charleston

And the comparison to driving to work is stupid. People aren't going to rob you in your car on the way to work, at least not in the Charleston metro.

The Thread Starter mentioned a shooting that occurred and asked if the mall was "safe". Not one mention of robbery.

Also, I'm not from Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Charleston, Folly Beach, Ladson, etc., but I feel perfectly safe when I visit all those places.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
You were the one comparing I'on to North Charleston because there was one murder there. If you don't want to talk about North Charleston's continued trend of increasing murder rate, then don't bring it up.
The literal words of the OP was "I think this is the mall that had the shooting recently. Is the mall/area safe to go to?"

I brought up the other 3 places because there were recent shootings there too. Obviously these 4 places vary in "safety" as crime is not a vacuum. My point was why make a thread to ask about N Chas mall safety because of a shooting when shootings have happened elsewhere lately.

You're the one that brought up murder rates, but the mall doesn't have a murder rate. You're saying "N Chas has rising murders, so it's a valid question." What's going on Spruill Ave has nothing do with Northwoods itself, just like what's going on in Ion has nothing to do with the rest of Mount Pleasant.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 09-25-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
That portion of Rivers Ave used to have the highest retail sales in the whole state- I suspect it still does.
Woodruff Road might be higher, but Rivers is likely still up there. I believe North Charleston still has the highest retail sales in the state, which is something considering how much Greenville has.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Do you guys think I'on is unsafe?
No, but it's a peaceful, upscale neighborhood - and there was a shooting, compared to Northwoods, which someone called "ghetto", which also had a shooting. So my point is why are we asking whats safe and unsafe when anywhere something can go down.

Keep your guard up and stay alert everywhere, doesnt matter where you are. I'm not sure what the actual number is, but I'm sure most random crime happens when people aren't paying attention. If you want to go shop at the mall, then go. If you don't think it's safe, don't go, no one can make you. There's 3 other Victoria's Secret's and 3 other Belk's in town.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 AM

2,624 posts, read 3,966,784 times
Thank you to the people who answered the question I asked.

I asked because 1) there is a store that I wanted to go to at that mall, 2) there was a recent shootout between 2 people in a public area of that mall, 3) I am not from this area so don't know if this was a random event or a frequent occurrence at this mall, and 4) as a woman who might be going alone, I wanted a "heads up", especially since I am not "street smart".

I don't come from a town that has gun crime, or much crime period, but after living here for almost 3 years, I am not naïve enough to think that shootings and other crimes only happen in a certain portion of the Charleston metro. But to liken a mall shootout between 2 men in N Chas to a domestic situation which ended in murder inside a private home in I'on in Mt Pleasant is ridiculous.

If someone new to the town where I used to live asked me about a certain town nearby which is known (by natives) for quite a bit of nefarious activity, I would be honest and tell them that it's a bit of a sketchy area and has x/y/z going on. If they asked about a certain mall in another town, I would tell them that it's fine during the day, but if you go at night don't go alone, park close to the door, ask the security guard to walk you to your car, and that it's known for auto theft. Nothing wrong with facts.

This was by no means a "knock" on North Charleston. There are plenty of places I go in North Charleston. But not being from here, I don't want to put myself in an "unpleasurable" situation unnecessarily. Sorry, but I don't care to go places IF they are the scene of frequent criminal activity. And if I planned on going to the Publix in West Ashley that had the recent shooting, I would have asked the same question - "Does that sort of thing happen at that location frequently, or was that shooting a "one off"? That's part of being "aware".

I sense a bit of a defensive attitude about N Chas on the part of some posters. I understand wanting to defend cities you may be from or that are part of your metro, but the fact remains that although "crime happens everywhere", N Chas has more than it's fair share. There's a reason it was named one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in the US based on FBI stats.

That's not what my question was about - it was about asking for facts about a specific location in N Chas due to a recent event - but since the thread moved in that direction a time or two (thinking it was N Chas bashing), perhaps if there was acknowledgement of the growing violent crime problem in N Chas there might be movement toward a solution. FOX 24 Charleston

Nuff said. Thanks again to all who were helpful.

Last edited by macalan; 09-26-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 07:52 AM

5,669 posts, read 4,577,466 times
I only picked one crime. Take a gander at the previous 12 months around Northwoods.

Crime Stats & Online Mapping - North Charleston

4/28, 7/25, and 8/23 there were reported robberies at Northwoods.
2/19, 2/23, and 3/31 there were reported shootings at Northwoods.

How do y'all exactly define dangerous????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area