Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
That only works if Billy Swails is 4 lanes. It's currently 2.
???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
As a strategic positioning office area in the northern part of town isn't a bad idea as that's where the growth will mainly be in MtP. However, I completely agree that the land is expensive and the impact fees make the cost function hard. If I'm a business, why rent or buy space in MtP when I can do it in North Chuck for half the price?
North Chuck not only is half price but in the center of the metro with 526 and 26 running right through it. That's where I would put an office building. That being said, I have no desire to live in North Chuck even though that's where I work. It goes back to that whole 1950s style, work in town and commute to the suburbs. For Charleston, the suburbs are in an ideal location radiating away from the center of the metro (Charleston and North Charleston) towards Summerville, West Ashley, and Mount Pleasant.
For me that's a 30 minute commute to North Chas. I can walk my kids to school which is only 1 mile away, but its still a 30 minute walk. Round trip that's an hour. Time wise, I'm better off driving to North Chas 20 miles from here than walking my kids to school 1 mile away.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,412,983 times
While it's true that North Charleston provides cheaper rents and a central location, I still don't see how that stops Mount Pleasant from doing anything. Look at all those office towers in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta vs south Atlanta, where there's virtually 0.

State Farm and Mercedes Benz just moved to that area, even though it's crowded, has gnarly traffic, and is more expensive, when they could've just went 20 miles south to the other side of Atlanta for cheap, much less traffic, and more room.

The land and rent is cheaper in south Atlanta, but those aren't the only two variables. Mount Pleasant has the high values, income and education, and would be easier to market to professionals. Mt P can definitely handle class A office and more jobs, but it's a matter of will residents get on board.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Midtown
Venning Rd
Behind Abide A While
Huge areas across from Boone Hall between 17 and Rifle Range
Beside Jennie Moore on Billy Swails Blvd
Large areas north of Khols
Large areas north of Mellow Mushroom
Huge sections between Park West and Carolina Park

However, sometimes the Town needs to just weather the "community being up in arms" storm.
I'm not sure what Midtown is in MtP.
Venning Rd already has housing. High $$$$
Behind Abide A While is Shem Creek wetland.
Kohl's, Mellow Mushroom, and Carolina Park are all high value residential.

EDIT: Area across from Boone Hall between 17 and Rifle Range is going to be a park.

DI had office designed from the start.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 12-11-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
While it's true that North Charleston provides cheaper rents and a central location, I still don't see how that stops Mount Pleasant from doing anything. Look at all those office towers in Buckhead, Sandy Springs, and Alpharetta vs south Atlanta, where there's virtually 0.

State Farm and Mercedes Benz just moved to that area, even though it's crowded, has gnarly traffic, and is more expensive, when they could've just went 20 miles south to the other side of Atlanta for cheap, much less traffic, and more room.

The land and rent is cheaper in south Atlanta, but those aren't the only two variables. Mount Pleasant has the high values, income and education, and would be easier to market to professionals. Mt P can definitely handle class A office and more jobs, but it's a matter of will residents get on board.
Crime is ridiculous in South Atlanta. The city has made multiple attempts to grow that area and failed. I noted when I was there in November that Underground is closed (again), for a complete redo.

Buckhead is a great location for attracting top notch talent. And a lot easier to access the northern suburbs.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yep, that office building went up on Shem Creek and the sky didn't fall. I think it looks awesome.
Freaking hideous.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Crime is ridiculous in South Atlanta. The city has made multiple attempts to grow that area and failed. I noted when I was there in November that Underground is closed (again), for a complete redo.

Buckhead is a great location for attracting top notch talent. And a lot easier to access the northern suburbs.
Yeah, not what I was talking about. I was talking about the airport area, Clayton, Henry, southern Dekalb, etc not the Underground (which didn't close because of ridiculous crime).

Mount Pleasant is the closest thing to a Buckhead in Charleston. Mount Pleasant can easily put themselves in a similar position job wise, but there has to be cooperation.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah, not what I was talking about. I was talking about the airport area, Clayton, Henry, southern Dekalb, etc not the Underground (which didn't close because of ridiculous crime).

Mount Pleasant is the closest thing to a Buckhead in Charleston. Mount Pleasant can easily put themselves in a similar position job wise, but there has to be cooperation.
Underground goes through decade phases. It's just in another downturn. Rich suburbanites flock to it when it gets re-done, and run away when the crime notches up. People I talked to 3 weeks ago told me that it got dangerous again.

MtP has too many people that don't want that type of business. After that hideous box was built at Shem Creek, people got motivated again. They'll fight anymore boxes.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:15 AM

108 posts, read 100,298 times
Quote:
Midtown
Venning Rd
Behind Abide A While
Huge areas across from Boone Hall between 17 and Rifle Range
Beside Jennie Moore on Billy Swails Blvd
Large areas north of Khols
Large areas north of Mellow Mushroom
Huge sections between Park West and Carolina Park

However, sometimes the Town needs to just weather the "community being up in arms" storm.

I'd like to see the abandoned Genphar office building behind the Markets at Oakland fixed up and viable, along with development of the lot for sale next to it. If there was additional foot traffic from these office buildings, maybe some of the vacant storefronts could be filled.

The Carolina Park master plan has office parks and future commercial all along Faison Rd., so plenty of space there.
https://carolinapark.com/interactive-map-carolina-park/

Beside Jennie Moore is already reserved for a community center and a future D.R. Horton community.
Future Cultural Community Center - 7 Mile C.A.G.E.
http://www.tompsc.com/documentcenter/view/20668

Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Underground goes through decade phases. It's just in another downturn. Rich suburbanites flock to it when it gets re-done, and run away when the crime notches up. People I talked to 3 weeks ago told me that it got dangerous again.

MtP has too many people that don't want that type of business. After that hideous box was built at Shem Creek, people got motivated again. They'll fight anymore boxes.
The city doesn't own Underground anymore, it no longer exists. That area is seedy, but the sale had less to do with crime and more to do with the city's downtown master plan.

If Mt P wants to continue to sprawl, but have problems with offices then you have to take the traffic and rising costs. The Shem Creek building is ugly, but it doesn't have to be the standard for class A. Embrace more ambition than laziness.

Some of the developments going up in downtown Greenville could work in Mt P on a smaller scale in my opinion. And they look much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area