Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 21,795 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new here and everyone seems very informed and helpful. We are doing research because we are considering moving to Charleston from NYC. We're nice, I swear We like downtown, Mt. Pleasant, and also Daniel Island. Daniel Island seems like a lovely community with a nice quality of life and friendly to transplants. I love the idea of a built in community where nearly everyone is new. And the amenities seem great. I was wondering if any of the kids in Daniel Island attend private school for Middle School, as BE is just for HS. If they do attend private school, where do they typically go? Where should I look? So far I have identified Porter Gaud and Ashley Hall as maybe similar to where my child goes to school now. Any insights on this? Do I need to rule out Daniel Island due to proximity if I am looking at those schools?
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:48 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
I think Ashley Hall is strictly female, so you need to take that into account. Personally, I would not be interested in a setting like that because I think it doesnt properly prepare them for the realities of high school. just my .02.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
Ashley Hall is strictly female but Porter Gaud is coed.

Both are pretty far from Daniel Island and Mt. Pleasant, but there are probably families there who carpool (most private schools have extension carpool networks). The schools themselves could tell you more; I have a friend who has her son at PG and a friend who teaches at AH, both have really good reputations.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Ashley Hall is strictly female but Porter Gaud is coed.

Both are pretty far from Daniel Island and Mt. Pleasant, but there are probably families there who carpool (most private schools have extension carpool networks). The schools themselves could tell you more; I have a friend who has her son at PG and a friend who teaches at AH, both have really good reputations.
Thanks. My child goes to a single sex (girls) school now and I definitely have experienced the benefits of allowing girls, especially girls with significant intellectual curiosity, to advance at a fast pace, uninterrupted by boys (when younger) and now that she is getting older, to do so without the social distractions of that. So I'm afraid I've drunk some of the koolaid. I'm all for co-ed too, especially as she gets older (6th grade next year) but I definitely want private school for her. Porter Gaud looks very good as well. I'm still trying to find out if anyone from DI sends their Middle School kids to private. Will keep exploring. Thanks for the info and thoughts everyone. Really appreciate it.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:21 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Yes families on Daniel Island send their kids to private schools for middle school. Ashley Hall, Porter Gaud & Christ The King are three I know of.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
The schools can give you an idea of who lives on DI and you may meet people to car pool with. It is a drive for all three schools mentioned but many people do it.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Thanks Monelli
Pardon typeos, on IPhone
Does anyone know whether older kids live in DIPark area or whether that is mostly retirees?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,207 times
plenty of 10+ yr old kids on the park side. Retirees as well but there are definitely older kids

Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Doesn't matter -- your child will make friends with the one kid who lives the furthest away....or it just seems that way.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 AM

192 posts, read 409,255 times
Moneill - that's the truth!

Nicenyfam - we moved from MD about 6 months ago and have two children in private school here. They both came from a smaller private coed school in MD. Luckily, you have lots of choices around here, although probably not as many as you are used to. We looked into all the privates, so ask away if you need advice on that. My kids attend school downtown and have plenty of friends who live on DI and do not go to BE.

I don't think there's a typical school for any given area here. Kids go where it fits best and in our school they come from all over. As for high school (my kids aren't quite there yet) I intend to look closely at the many great magnet schools this area has as well as the privates...and yes, big Wando too

Good luck with your search/move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area