U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2017, 02:04 PM
 
8,755 posts, read 3,586,975 times
Reputation: 6046

Advertisements

What time is the airport commute?
I do that commute and around 7-7:30 it’s 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
480 posts, read 354,431 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Me too - some nicer dining options would be great.
Me three - the lack of restaurants kinda stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
9,788 posts, read 8,417,192 times
Reputation: 13893
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Me too - some nicer dining options would be great. So would a Whole Foods. Just hope it doesn't get developed into all chains, big box stores, gas stations and storage facilities.

LenLenLen - can't help you with your commute question, but will say residential building just doesn't seem to stop up this way. Certainly in Carolina Park and Park West the home building is going strong.
Mac

Unless Whole Foods on Houston-Northcutt has closed, you are not 20 minutes from there. What do you expect, everything in your backyard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM
 
3,168 posts, read 3,239,240 times
Reputation: 1417
Having made the daily commute to the Joint Base from Park West and it took me 30 mins if everything went well to Rhett Ave. I find it hard to believe you could make the airport, which is farther, in the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 08:19 PM
 
8,755 posts, read 3,586,975 times
Reputation: 6046
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Having made the daily commute to the Joint Base from Park West and it took me 30 mins if everything went well to Rhett Ave. I find it hard to believe you could make the airport, which is farther, in the same time.
?
The airport isn’t farther than the joint base. You have to pass the airport to get to it unless you live in Summerville. Google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant
2,191 posts, read 2,806,848 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I find the whole big box store thing very very funny. So many people want to complain about big box stores, but as soon as one gets built... people flock to it. I was watching a "Save Shem Creek" on the back of a Lexus SUV pull into Walmart this weekend and I couldn't help but think how hypocritical it all was.

LenLenLen, we call it the drawbridge mentality. I'm here so now lets roll up the draw bridge and not allow anyone else or any other business in. It's pretty closed minded IMO, but I'd say the populace is pretty evenly split. But, the anti growth crowd is well funded, politically savvy, and vote. Yet when you try to pin them down on how they plan on paying for stuff they never really have any answers. They just want to say "No".

Depending on when you travel, I'd say you'll have a ~45 min drive to the air base in the morning. But, it's a bad day if there's any problem on the Don Holt bridge.
I'm not opposed to development. But it would be nice to have something more attractive than just strip malls and big box stores. Other than Towne Centre, there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought given to the aesthetics of development in MP.

With all this undeveloped land in North MP, why not create a real "downtown" core like Daniel Island did from scratch? A place you can park the car and get out and walk to shops, businesses and restaurants. DI is adding a lot of development in the downtown area - high-density residential, retail space and office parks (something MP could use more of) - but there's thought to the design with incorporated green space, fountains, gardens, etc. They've created an attractive walkable downtown "core". Numerous studies show that people now want walkable - the new "Urban Suburban" - and that property values hold up and increase more when this style of development is incorporated vs the car dependent sprawl that seems to be the norm.

All that raw land along Faison or Park West Blvd could be made into a nice downtown center like DI has with mixed-use (retail on the bottom, apartments/condos on the top), restaurants, businesses, etc., which would be a draw for all the people in North MP. Instead it sounds like they are going to just line those two roads with big box stores - Costco, etc.

Last edited by macalan; 11-07-2017 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 05:05 AM
 
8,755 posts, read 3,586,975 times
Reputation: 6046
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I'm not opposed to development. But it would be nice to have something more attractive than just strip malls and big box stores. Other than Towne Centre, there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought given to the aesthetics of development in MP.

With all this undeveloped land in North MP, why not create a real "downtown" core like Daniel Island did from scratch. A place you can park the car and get out and walk to shops, businesses and restaurants. DI is adding a lot of development in the downtown area - high-density residential, retail space and office parks (something MP could use more of) - but there's thought to the design with incorporated green space, fountains, gardens, etc.

All that raw land along Faison or Park West Blvd could be made into a nice downtown center like DI has with mixed-use (retail on the bottom, apartments/condos on the top), restaurants, businesses, etc., which would be a draw for all the people in North MP. Instead it sounds like they are going to just line those two roads with big box stores - Costco, etc.
I disagree that no thought is given to asthetics. Even gas stations and storage units incorporate high quality architectural details details and landscaping normally reserved for more prominent businesses. Even Walmart looks good. The majority of parking lots and big box stores are hidden behind a buffer of trees. Ever try to find Target?

Mount Pleasant already has a town center where you can park and shop. You can even do that at Oakland, or Seaside Farms. While I’m not sure why everybody is so against the mixed use, people living on top of businesses thing but I’m not really sure why that would attract people who don’t live there either. In reality, I never shop in Daniel Island. Daniel Island residents do however need to drive to Mount Pleasant, North Charleston and West Ashley for big box shopping. Nobody actually does all their shopping at mom and pop stores. Downtown Charleston has world class restaurants so I’m not wasting a restaurant night in Daniel Island and there’s only so many law offices and realtors I care to be walking distance to. I will however drive all the way to West Ashley just to go to Costco. I like Seaside Farms, but the only reason I go there is because of Target. If it wasn’t for Target, I wouldn’t go at all and all those restaurants and shops would only have the local neighborhood as a customer base. Once Costco gets established it’ll help with Carolina Park’s “town center” concept. The renderings they had last year for just the first small strip looked awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant
2,191 posts, read 2,806,848 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I disagree that no thought is given to asthetics. Even gas stations and storage units incorporate high quality architectural details details and landscaping normally reserved for more prominent businesses. Even Walmart looks good. The majority of parking lots and big box stores are hidden behind a buffer of trees. Ever try to find Target?

Mount Pleasant already has a town center where you can park and shop. You can even do that at Oakland, or Seaside Farms. While I’m not sure why everybody is so against the mixed use, people living on top of businesses thing but I’m not really sure why that would attract people who don’t live there either. In reality, I never shop in Daniel Island. Daniel Island residents do however need to drive to Mount Pleasant, North Charleston and West Ashley for big box shopping. Nobody actually does all their shopping at mom and pop stores. Downtown Charleston has world class restaurants so I’m not wasting a restaurant night in Daniel Island and there’s only so many law offices and realtors I care to be walking distance to. I will however drive all the way to West Ashley just to go to Costco. I like Seaside Farms, but the only reason I go there is because of Target. If it wasn’t for Target, I wouldn’t go at all and all those restaurants and shops would only have the local neighborhood as a customer base. Once Costco gets established it’ll help with Carolina Park’s “town center” concept. The renderings they had last year for just the first small strip looked awesome.
Hey Ziggy.

I didn't mean that non-residents would generally travel to Daniel Island to shop and eat, although to be honest, we do drive over that way to go to Sermet's Courtyard - excellent restaurant in a great setting - and Laura Alberts -another winner with a great outdoor courtyard. We also shop at Lucia's, a great natural pet store and still go to the vet over there. I meant rather than building strip malls, why not make retail development attractive and make it a real walkable "Main Street Downtown"? The land is raw - it's the perfect opportunity to do something like that.

Towne Centre is great, it's the closest thing MP has to a core - you can park, walk and shop - and eat. But it's not a "downtown" with banks, office buildings, doctors, pharmacies, vets, shops and restaurants, bagel shops, pubs, ice cream stores, etc. And Oakland Marketplace is just your classic strip mall. Yes, it's behind some trees, but it's still a strip mall, which seems to be the norm here. IMHO, the main drag of Daniel Island (Seven Farms Dr) is a whole lot more attractive than Oakland Marketplace.

Just saying a chance of pace with a "downtown" would be nice for all the North Mount Pleasant people - not just shops and restaurants - but banks, businesses, doctors, dentists, grocery stores, pubs, coffee shops, professional offices (your realtors, lawyers and CPAs, etc.), some greenspace, fountains, benches, etc. A gathering spot that's interconnected. How nice would it be to be able to walk for blocks and blocks like you can in a real downtown?

Seaside Farms is probably the closest to that idea in Mt Pleasant, and I would guess there are plenty of people who don't live there who frequent Opal - a great restaurant - as well as others. Freshfields Village on Johns Island is even closer to the "Main St. Downtown" concept, but Daniel Island - and downtown Charleston - are the only real downtowns (even though DI is "manufactured") around here, other than Georgetown, which is adorable.

I haven't seen the renderings for the "first small strip", just hoping that all that land isn't going to become "strip mall highway" like Rte 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Mount Pleasant
2,191 posts, read 2,806,848 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I disagree that no thought is given to asthetics. Even gas stations and storage units incorporate high quality architectural details details and landscaping normally reserved for more prominent businesses. Even Walmart looks good. The majority of parking lots and big box stores are hidden behind a buffer of trees. Ever try to find Target?

Mount Pleasant already has a town center where you can park and shop. You can even do that at Oakland, or Seaside Farms. While I’m not sure why everybody is so against the mixed use, people living on top of businesses thing but I’m not really sure why that would attract people who don’t live there either. In reality, I never shop in Daniel Island. Daniel Island residents do however need to drive to Mount Pleasant, North Charleston and West Ashley for big box shopping. Nobody actually does all their shopping at mom and pop stores. Downtown Charleston has world class restaurants so I’m not wasting a restaurant night in Daniel Island and there’s only so many law offices and realtors I care to be walking distance to. I will however drive all the way to West Ashley just to go to Costco. I like Seaside Farms, but the only reason I go there is because of Target. If it wasn’t for Target, I wouldn’t go at all and all those restaurants and shops would only have the local neighborhood as a customer base. Once Costco gets established it’ll help with Carolina Park’s “town center” concept. The renderings they had last year for just the first small strip looked awesome.
Hey Ziggy.

I didn't mean that non-residents would generally travel to Daniel Island to shop and eat, although to be honest, we do drive over that way to go to Sermet's Courtyard - excellent restaurant in a great setting - and Laura Alberts -another winner with a great outdoor courtyard. We also shop at Lucia's, a great natural pet store and still go to the vet over there. I meant rather than MP just building more strip malls, why not make new development in North MP attractive and make a real walkable "Main Street Downtown"? The land is raw - it's the perfect opportunity to do something like that.

Towne Centre is great, it's the closest thing MP has to a core - you can park, walk and shop - and eat. But it's not a "downtown" with banks, office buildings, doctors, pharmacies, vets, shops and restaurants, bagel shops, pubs, ice cream stores, etc. There's no green space, no gathering spots for people. And Oakland Marketplace is just your classic strip mall. Yes, it's behind some trees, but it's still a strip mall. IMHO, the main drag of Daniel Island (Seven Farms Dr) is a whole lot more attractive than Oakland Marketplace.

How nice would it be to be able to walk for blocks and blocks like you can in a real downtown? Walk to get an ice cream and sit on a bench and relax while you eat it. Run into neighbors, and have some human connection. There's a reason realtors are now incorporating "Walk Scores" in their listing sheets. People are getting tired of car-dependent suburbs and are seeking places that have walkability - even just walkability in the suburbs - the "urban suburban" concept. It's an all-around healthier way to live - more walking and more human connection in our day.

Seaside Farms is probably the closest to that idea in Mt Pleasant, and I would guess there are plenty of people who don't live there who frequent Opal - a great restaurant - as well as others. Freshfields Village on Johns Island is even closer to the "Main St. Downtown" concept, but Daniel Island - and downtown Charleston - are the only real downtowns (even though DI is "manufactured") around here, other than Georgetown, which is adorable.

I haven't seen the renderings for the "first small strip", just hoping that all that land isn't going to become "strip mall highway" like Rte 17.

Last edited by macalan; 11-07-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2017, 04:21 PM
 
8,755 posts, read 3,586,975 times
Reputation: 6046
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Hey Ziggy.

I didn't mean that non-residents would generally travel to Daniel Island to shop and eat, although to be honest, we do drive over that way to go to Sermet's Courtyard - excellent restaurant in a great setting - and Laura Alberts -another winner with a great outdoor courtyard. We also shop at Lucia's, a great natural pet store and still go to the vet over there. I meant rather than MP just building more strip malls, why not make new development in North MP attractive and make a real walkable "Main Street Downtown"? The land is raw - it's the perfect opportunity to do something like that.

Towne Centre is great, it's the closest thing MP has to a core - you can park, walk and shop - and eat. But it's not a "downtown" with banks, office buildings, doctors, pharmacies, vets, shops and restaurants, bagel shops, pubs, ice cream stores, etc. There's no green space, no gathering spots for people. And Oakland Marketplace is just your classic strip mall. Yes, it's behind some trees, but it's still a strip mall. IMHO, the main drag of Daniel Island (Seven Farms Dr) is a whole lot more attractive than Oakland Marketplace.

How nice would it be to be able to walk for blocks and blocks like you can in a real downtown? Walk to get an ice cream and sit on a bench and relax while you eat it. Run into neighbors, and have some human connection. There's a reason realtors are now incorporating "Walk Scores" in their listing sheets. People are getting tired of car-dependent suburbs and are seeking places that have walkability - even just walkability in the suburbs - the "urban suburban" concept. It's an all-around healthier way to live - more walking and more human connection in our day.

Seaside Farms is probably the closest to that idea in Mt Pleasant, and I would guess there are plenty of people who don't live there who frequent Opal - a great restaurant - as well as others. Freshfields Village on Johns Island is even closer to the "Main St. Downtown" concept, but Daniel Island - and downtown Charleston - are the only real downtowns (even though DI is "manufactured") around here, other than Georgetown, which is adorable.

I haven't seen the renderings for the "first small strip", just hoping that all that land isn't going to become "strip mall highway" like Rte 17.
The difference between Daniel Island, Freshfields, and Oakland is just the arrangement of the stores and the fact that Oakland has a Walmart and Kohls as anchors. There's a park like thing in the middle of Oakland over by the Trek Bicycle store. You can park and walk and shop for everything from clothes to Mexican food to massages and video games. Aside from that its just architectural aesthetics and layout. Freshfields has no residential development incorporated into its design. It's just a fancy shopping center just like Town Center is. The only two actual town centers are Charleston and Summerville's.

Otherwise the look you're going for seems to be in the plans for Carolina Park's town center but you'll still need anchors to attract a market to sustain it. I personally would have put the apartments across the street on top of the town center commercial stores like Daniel Island does, but for some reason NIMBY's loose their mind when you do that and it was already prezoned the way it is now years ago.

The renderings last year were of the first two buildings which had between 4 and 5 stores each. They basically looked like a cross between the Carolina Park pool and pavilion and the City Market in downtown Charleston with a large sidewalk in front of the storefronts that would eventually tie together with future buildings in the town center. The parking was in the back hidden from the street. The first half of the commercial zone from Costco towards the town center will be big box stores because that's what people want and that's the anchors that attract smaller restaurants and shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top