Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM

624 posts, read 692,124 times

Advertisements

What are everybody's thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:35 AM

370 posts, read 325,345 times
20 Years seems a tad excessive, when you consider WS was running from the police with a warrant. That's not to say WS deserved to die, but one's actions do help determine consequences.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 AM

624 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
20 Years seems a tad excessive, when you consider WS was running from the police with a warrant. That's not to say WS deserved to die, but one's actions do help determine consequences.
I agree completely. This is what I don't understand, from the policeman's perspective:

1.) His first trial ended in a mistrial because the jury wouldn't even find him guilty of manslaughter

2.) He pleads guilty to violating WS's civil rights and excessive force

3.) He gets a longer sentence on a more severe charge than the jury was recommending in the first place

What happened there? Of course, the media is not reporting any of this or doing any in-depth analysis.

The guy did not deserve to die and Slager deserves some jail time for sure. But what happened here, I don't know.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
It's very difficult to determine what sentence should have been handed down. On one hand should Walter Scott's actions (running from the police) make him responsible for his fate? Did Michael Slager feel his life was in danger as the suspect ran away? It's a split second decision a police officer has to make and what about Michael Slager being charged with obstruction of justice? He apparently lied to the investigating detective immediately after the shooting. Why lie if you don't have anything to hide? He obviously realized he made a mistake and tried to cover up that mistake. This probably factored into the Judge's decision. Michael Slager also moved the taser and placed it next to Walter Scott's body away from where the original scuffle was. He knew that was wrong. I believe he deserves jail time and while no amount of jail time will bring Walter Scott back, I feel the sentence is a little excessive. Maybe 10 years would have been more appropriate. This officer made two mistakes. Shooting the suspect in the back and then trying to cover up his mistakes. This sentence certainly sends a loud and clear message to other police officers everywhere and I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to do that job.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I can't even wrap my head around the rationale that this sentence was "excessive." Wow.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:12 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
He shot the man in the back as the man was running away. Uncalled for especially as not a life threatening situation.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:50 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I don't think he should have been convicted of 2nd degree murder, rather manslaughter. I think he should have gotten closer to 10-15 years. I think he was wrong in what he did, but did not have intent to kill Scott before stopping him. Was not 2nd degree murder. In the heat of the moment, he was wrong, but Scott did resist arrest and attempt to take one of the officer's weapons as well as wrestle with the officer. It is wrong to shoot in the back, unless the suspect is fleeing and presents imminent danger to others.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I don't think he should have been convicted of 2nd degree murder, rather manslaughter. I think he should have gotten closer to 10-15 years. I think he was wrong in what he did, but did not have intent to kill Scott before stopping him. Was not 2nd degree murder. In the heat of the moment, he was wrong, but Scott did resist arrest and attempt to take one of the officer's weapons as well as wrestle with the officer. It is wrong to shoot in the back, unless the suspect is fleeing and presents imminent danger to others.
Agree on if a danger to others but as I saw the video, there were no others around.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Agree on if a danger to others but as I saw the video, there were no others around.
Yes, I agree, shooting in the back was not justified here. It was wrong. But, the subject did resist and wrestle with the officer, so there were other factors, no pre intent to commit murder. Manslaughter, not second degree murder.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:09 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
I think they both were wrong but shooting at somebody running away that many times is uncalled for. Many cities are banding actions like that for example when police shot in a car that's driving away when it pose no danger.

When you go to get you cwp (conceals weapons permit) one of the things the tell you not to do is shoot someone in the back. If you do that means jail time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area