Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,275 times

Advertisements

Looking to move from Massachusetts and have been corresponding with someone who is from the new Abberly at West Ashley apartment complex. Wondering how the neighborhood is and how close to the Savannah Highway? We are planning on renting until we decide to buy. My boyfriend and I are both looking for employment at car dealerships and there seem to be a lot in the area. I also have a four year old and I am interested in the quality of the school systems and crime rates. I am also wondering how different the earning ability is. We currently pay $1700 a month for rent here but the neighborhood is good and the car insurance is cheap. Just wondering if someone could give me some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
I have been living at Abberly for a little over a month now and I regret my decision to move there every day. I have had nothing but awful experiences so far and I'm anxiously counting down the days until my lease is up. It seemed like such a nice complex since it's new and it has a lot of amenities. But, don't let that stuff fool you... it's all Abberly has going for it. To say the walls are 'paper-thin' is such an understatement. I hear EVERYTHING my neighbors do (literally- everything!!).. I had to buy an air purifier (that still didn't eliminate) the lingering cigarette smoke in my apartment because the people upstairs smoke. There is always music blaring and people yelling in the parking lot late at night. I can't believe the office staff let all this happen. I've told them numerous times about the (incredibly obvious) cigarette smoke problem I'm having. So, they stopped over once, told me they didn't smell it, and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. I wish someone would have warned me about this place before I moved in!! Seems like they were in a hurry to get the buildings up and units rented out.. no quality!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,929 times
Hey,I unfortunately live there too. I have lived here for a few months and have had nothing but trouble. My neighbors are loud and I do not feel safe leaving my family alone. The office staff is great at "recruiting" you into these "wonderful never lived in condo style appts." but what they leave out in their sales pitch is that you can hear every step that your neighbors take (even in the hallway outside your door), If a person two buildings down slams his door, or heaven forbid the person above you flushes the toilet. YOU WILL HEAR EVERYTHING! .. At least thats bldg. 200

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM

547 posts, read 1,192,438 times
you can rent a pretty nice house for 1700....why would you go with an apt complex??

Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,855 times
I agree with the above post. $1700 will get you something a lot nicer than an apt in Charleston. My fiance and I rent a house in a nice West Ashley neighborhood for $1200 and it's a 3br/2ba with a 2 car garage and fenced in backyard. I have a friend who moved into Abberly for about 3 weeks. The office staff decided (after she moved in) that her pet was "too large and looked a little intimidating" so they made her move out and WOULDNT refund any of the move-in fees she paid. I think she said she paid over $500 in deposits that they wouldn't give back even though it was their own fault they didn't follow through with a pet interview (and she clearly stated on her application that the dog weighed 80lbs). Anyways, I've had to hear her complain about that place for months now. Figured I'd put the word out there that's the kind of business people they are!! Beware.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Default agreed

I moved in Abberly a week or so ago, and I am less than pleased. Unfortunately, I was moving from out of state so I was unable to come and see the place myself. My air conditioning was broken the entire first week of my residency. My washing machine hasn't worked right since the beginning either. I haven't had too many problems with hearing my neighbors, but I'm on the first floor and hear the gate slam everytime someone walks into the breezeway. I live alone and tried to get a key fob for a friend in town, in case of emergencies, and I was told absolutely no one else could have access (I even offered for my friend to do a background and credit check) to the building except me. I feel like I'm living in some communist apartment complex! There is no way for guests to buzz your apartment and every one that comes to your place must have a cell phone and be able to call you and tell you they are out front and you have to go get them. Don't forget your building key, or you will all be locked out! Definitely wouldn't have moved here if I was aware of how "locked down" it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area