Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,835 times

Advertisements

I’m looking to move to Summerville area within 6 months from Ohio. I’ll be home shopping next week there. I originally had Florida as my destination until they informed me the $400k home I was going to buy was going to be $6500/year in property taxes. No thanks. I’m looking at one home on Huntington Rd. I notice 2 other homes on same rd for sale also so I’m a little concerned as the road isn’t very long. I’m a 35/m and grew up in some very bad neighborhoods, many homes under $20k price, so I’m not really fearful of places but don’t want to live in any. Especially when the home is $300k plus. I live in a good neighborhood now with over an acre so I’d like something similar.

If you have any info that might help I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited by Nacho1103; 02-03-2018 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 05:06 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,637,409 times
I live about 2 miles from there. Nice and quiet in that area.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:34 PM

624 posts, read 691,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho1103 View Post
I’m looking to move to Summerville area within 6 months from Ohio.
As a fellow Buckeye, I would advise against that

Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
As a fellow Buckeye, I would advise against that
Care to elaborate?

Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 PM

624 posts, read 691,703 times
I don't want to be negative, because I love living in South Carolina and the Charleston area. I've been here for more than 10 years.

Summerville is just overcrowded and traffic is a nightmare. Where you're looking at out in the Knightsville/Orangeburg Road area is going to be crushed with traffic.

My best advice would be to move here, but rent a house for a year. You will quickly figure out where you want to live or build long-term.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:49 AM

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Traffic sucks where I’m at now. And I have lived in the city for most of my life. I figured most areas that have good weather and close to amenities is going to have transit headaches. A big advantage my fiancé and I have is we are both self employed and pretty much can drive during off times as we do now. I have been with my fiancé for 10 years and neither one of us drink or go out much. Probably sounds boring especially since we don’t have children but we both are home bodies and enjoy a simplified lifestyle with 3 dogs. I actually live on a main road now with business close by including a gas station, and concrete supply company. I’ve lived in Ohio my whole life so moving for us is more about better weather. I read all the time about ppl on here having to drive 20 min or more to work and I feel bad. I know most don’t think 20 min is a long drive to work either but I’ve been self employed since I was 21 so I don’t know ever drive 20 mins. unless it’s for something special.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:06 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,933,325 times
20 minutes is nothing. If it were any less I would be annoyed. I use my commute time to drink coffee and listen to the news, podcast, etc. It’s the only “me time” I get all day.

45-60 minutes of crawling traffic would get old though.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,637,409 times
Hahahaha,,,,traffic is bad no matter where you go here in the lowcountry.

It was real nice back in the 70's......before everybody and there brother started moving here.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,241,365 times
There is traffic everywhere, but Summerville is where everybody has moved in the last 5 years because it was the most affordable family friendly location. Traffic is worse there than anywhere else in Charleston.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM

5,715 posts, read 4,673,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawMillRun View Post
After the recent shooting I’d really consider if Summerville will be safe for your family. Lots of crazies out there these days. I’d suggest Daniel Island or maybe moving to Georgetown or a safer spot.
A single event should change people's perceptions? Then why are people still flocking to MtP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area