Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuman View Post
no, you go to walmart for that.....
:d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 12:36 PM

24 posts, read 17,437 times
This thread is starting to scare me. We've been planning to move for a year or so, and Charleston has been at the top of our list for a while. To the point we've become kind of enamored with it. We've been planning a trip, probably in April as of right now, but until then we've only got boards like this to help learn about the city.  

When I first moved to Vegas(1994), there was a very large NY population here. And while they could be blunt or even rude to sensitive people, they stayed out your business, and didn't try and turn Vegas into a second NewYork. It was very much do what you want, as long as you mind your business and don't disturb other people.

But then in 96 I joined the Army for a short tour. When I got back, most of the Newyorkers were gone, and we had a new increasing population of Californians moving in. Now they were the opposite of the NewYorkers, polite to your face, lie right to it, while always in your business. And They are constantly trying to make Vegas like California. Most of the locals make comments online about how we are slowly being annexed into LA. Makes me miss the NewYorkers.

I was born in Columbia and spent a part of my child hood in the south.(Parents were in the Army too, so we moved a lot), So I miss the South, and want to give that experiance to my son. My wife and I love the Genteel Culture of Charleston. She's Loved it even before she spoke english. She's an immigrant, and use to collect picture of the clothing, style, and city before she even knew what it was.

Our plan is to move near Charleston, but far enough away we can buy some land and not be living on top of our neighbor like we do in Vegas. Become part of the city, Open/buy a few businesses, get my son involved in the culture so when he's older he'll choose to stay. You know Become a Charestonian, like any immigrant should. Hopefully all the Westerners won't change it. One of the reasons we originally looked at South Carolina is the stubbornness and the nature to fight change.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:12 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I’m tired of everyone not wanting to live on top of their neighbor.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateOutDrsMn View Post
This thread is starting to scare me. We've been planning to move for a year or so, and Charleston has been at the top of our list for a while. To the point we've become kind of enamored with it. We've been planning a trip, probably in April as of right now, but until then we've only got boards like this to help learn about the city.  

When I first moved to Vegas(1994), there was a very large NY population here. And while they could be blunt or even rude to sensitive people, they stayed out your business, and didn't try and turn Vegas into a second NewYork. It was very much do what you want, as long as you mind your business and don't disturb other people.

But then in 96 I joined the Army for a short tour. When I got back, most of the Newyorkers were gone, and we had a new increasing population of Californians moving in. Now they were the opposite of the NewYorkers, polite to your face, lie right to it, while always in your business. And They are constantly trying to make Vegas like California. Most of the locals make comments online about how we are slowly being annexed into LA. Makes me miss the NewYorkers.

I was born in Columbia and spent a part of my child hood in the south.(Parents were in the Army too, so we moved a lot), So I miss the South, and want to give that experiance to my son. My wife and I love the Genteel Culture of Charleston. She's Loved it even before she spoke english. She's an immigrant, and use to collect picture of the clothing, style, and city before she even knew what it was.

Our plan is to move near Charleston, but far enough away we can buy some land and not be living on top of our neighbor like we do in Vegas. Become part of the city, Open/buy a few businesses, get my son involved in the culture so when he's older he'll choose to stay. You know Become a Charestonian, like any immigrant should. Hopefully all the Westerners won't change it. One of the reasons we originally looked at South Carolina is the stubbornness and the nature to fight change.
New Yorkers sure, but you won’t find too many Californians here.
If you live far enough away where you can actually buy some land, you’re probably not going to be surrounded by many transplants.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:47 PM

If people keep moving here with the attitude that they don't want to "live on top of of anyone else," like cities are by nature, they're eventually going to end up living in housing subdivisions that will overrun the country where my mother and her parents and their parents and their parents, etc. were born and raised, sixty miles from Charleston in southern Orangeburg County, and I will hate them and the developers who built the housing subdivisions.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:27 PM

355 posts, read 390,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
,,,,," Some places feel like New York or Boston, around here!"

You got that right! Been to Costco lately?,,,,FULL of rude people!
I judge a person by their character and their actions Not Their Accent. RUDE IS Rude

Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 PM

I just saw where Charleston is the #1 city that people from New York City search online for relocating to.

Realtor.com:
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...223987635.html

Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 AM

252 posts, read 264,177 times
Not surprising. As much as the whole Ohio thing is the big joke around here, I see more New York plates than Ohio on the roads lately.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I just saw where Charleston is the #1 city that people from New York City search online for relocating to.

Realtor.com:
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...223987635.html

They said NYC’s median price was $474k which isn’t much more than some of the zip codes around here. Honestly that alone isn’t high enough to justify moving across the country and starting all over again. I’ve never heard of anybody from anywhere else outside the Northeast moving to New York City...ever. So who is moving into all those vacant $474k homes when they all moved to Florida and here?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:46 PM

“Southern Charm” on Bravo in 14 minutes - The Season Five premiere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area