Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:09 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
New Yorkers sure, but you won’t find too many Californians here.
If you live far enough away where you can actually buy some land, you’re probably not going to be surrounded by many transplants.
This is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:29 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Creoles (and Cajuns) are mainly located in south Louisiana. Ask any Louisianan and they'll tell you the northern part of the state is quite different than the southern part. It would be like someone thinking practically all of South Carolina were defined by Gullah culture.

Very interesting perspective since Mobile and New Orleans are very similar. Mobile has a Creole population and is home to the nation's first Mardi Gras; historically it had just as many outside influences as New Orleans and was under the jurisdiction of several nations. Mobile is arguably the city most similar to New Orleans in the U.S.

Atlanta is a Piedmont/Upper South city and wasn't part of the plantation economy in any real sense; it wasn't even a big city prior to the Civil War. In 1850 the city had just over 2500 people with less than 500 being slaves. Atlanta was founded by the Georgia Legislature about two decades before the Civil War as a railroad hub to link Savannah/coastal Georgia with the markets of the Midwest. Mobile, by contrast, was founded well over a century before Atlanta, actually imported lots of slaves, and its economy was much more agrarian in nature. Along with other Southern port cities, Mobile wasn't part of the plantation economy "in the distribution phase;" it was ground zero for the plantation economy. In 1860, about 21% of Fulton County's population was enslaved but the total county population was just under 15K people. In that same year, 25% of Mobile County's population was enslaved which equaled nearly 12K people--rivaling the total population of Fulton County. Atlanta and Mobile couldn't be more different in this regard. You can read more about Mobile's history here.
Originally from Mobile and have lived in south LA (near N.O.) for 30+ years. Although there are some similarities, such as architecture and Mardi Gras, Mobile and New Orleans are vastly different. Mobile is more conservative and Protestant. N.O. is more liberal than Mobile and primarily Catholic. The French influence today is much more obvious in N.O. Grew up in Mobile, not aware of a Creole population. Of course, Creoles are represented to a large extent in N.O.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 977 times
Default So far still Southern however....

According to Walter Edgar, SC's premier historian, and with a Friday SC Public Radio show ( noon), in Charleston County localsand natives still outnumber transplants. Where transplants outnumber locals occurs currently in only three counties in SC: Beaufort (where I live), Aiken and Horry(Myrtle Beach).

I hope it stays that way, frankly. Beaufort County is already " little Philly, Buffalo, Cleveland" etc.,( take your pick). You even see lots of plates from a Maine and CA ( wtf?). If one more old Yankee geezer gives me the evil eye, no smile, no charm or personality, etc. I'm gonna say somethin' rather unpleasant (cause I'm sick of it)!!!

I'm well-educated, sophisticated and well-travelled, but this Southerner is already eyeing the exits before much longer for a more authentic Southern town in the nearby mountains of GA or NC.

Transplants have been ruining the region in general for two generations. Only half, if that, seem to give back, volunteer, assimilate, learn to smile and give eye contact etc.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I overheard a couple with strong northern accents tell a server they’re from South Carolina. Within the next couple of sentences, the truth came out. They were from New York but now live in Hilton Head. Charleston does not have that northern transplant feel to it, but it has always had a certain amount of progressive influence.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadindixie7 View Post
According to Walter Edgar, SC's premier historian, and with a Friday SC Public Radio show ( noon), in Charleston County localsand natives still outnumber transplants. Where transplants outnumber locals occurs currently in only three counties in SC: Beaufort (where I live), Aiken and Horry(Myrtle Beach).

I hope it stays that way, frankly. Beaufort County is already " little Philly, Buffalo, Cleveland" etc.,( take your pick). You even see lots of plates from a Maine and CA ( wtf?). If one more old Yankee geezer gives me the evil eye, no smile, no charm or personality, etc. I'm gonna say somethin' rather unpleasant (cause I'm sick of it)!!!

I'm well-educated, sophisticated and well-travelled, but this Southerner is already eyeing the exits before much longer for a more authentic Southern town in the nearby mountains of GA or NC.

Transplants have been ruining the region in general for two generations. Only half, if that, seem to give back, volunteer, assimilate, learn to smile and give eye contact etc.
Technically speaking Walter Edgar may be right. My wife and I came here as transplants, but then starting spawning natives so we got statistically canceled out.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Technically speaking Walter Edgar may be right. My wife and I came here as transplants, but then starting spawning natives so we got statistically canceled out.
“We don’t mind folks from up north coming down here to live and bear children, but that don’t make them Southerners. After all, if your cat has kittens in the oven, that don’t make them biscuits.” ~ Firefly Moonshine

Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
“We don’t mind folks from up north coming down here to live and bear children, but that don’t make them Southerners. After all, if your cat has kittens in the oven, that don’t make them biscuits.” ~ Firefly Moonshine
Statistically speaking anybody with a S.C. birth certificate is an SC native, thus provided it’s families moving to the area and not retirees, their SC born kids help cancel out the transplant parents on paper. Now if they go on to eat grits and watch college football is an entirely different story.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Statistically speaking anybody with a S.C. birth certificate is an SC native, thus provided it’s families moving to the area and not retirees, their SC born kids help cancel out the transplant parents on paper. Now if they go on to eat grits and watch college football is an entirely different story.
There are people who don't eat grits and watch college football?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
There are people who don't eat grits and watch college football?
I eat grits but don't watch college football. I'm a complicated man.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Years back Snee Farm Golf Club had a Rebel's versus the Yankee's Golf Tournament. They had to stop it as they ran out of Rebel's....LOL

In some places, transplants outweigh natives. Maybe not at a Conservative Southern Baptist Church but more than likely at the newer, feel good, fast growing, non-denominational churches like Seacoast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area