Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I did a chat with ATT Uverse because my TV/Internet bill just came off a promo. I always dread calling in to negotiate to get my cost back down at least close to what it was.

Never have I ever gotten any cable company to put me on another promo to bring my cost down lower than it was AND give me more channels.

I had U200 channel package and the rep put me on the U300 package with Starz & Showtime. I kept my two dvrs (one wireless). My internet stayed at 24mbps. My bill went down to 80.00 + tax and I don't have to fight that price for 2 years. So my bill went down about 22.00 a month + I got over 100 additional channels.

I will probably call Spectrum to fight to get a lower price for my mom. Maybe I'll be successful this time. She has 1 DVR and 24mbps and pays about 60.00 a month more than I do.

I was just wondering maybe the cable companies are feeling the heat of so many customers leaving and doing without cable TV. There are so many other options out there now with Hulu, Kodi, Amazon Prime, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 PM

624 posts, read 692,693 times
Wow, I pay $64.95 a month just for internet from Home Telecom. What am I doing wrong?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
Check into "Sling" TV. (You will need internet)

You can get 7 days for free........

https://www.sling.com/home?mkwid=swl...SAAEgKx2_D_BwE

Old 02-18-2018, 07:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Wow, I pay $64.95 a month just for internet from Home Telecom. What am I doing wrong?
I pay 80 a month for just internet but i have top of line speed for streaming

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
To answer your question, not really. Because they are still getting your money regardless. Even if you drop Xfinity TV and get a streaming service, you still need internet to use it, and they have internet monopolized. These cable giants also own the TV channels.

Comcast owns all NBC Universal channels, which includes Bravo, Syfy, USA, NBC, Oxygen, Telemundo, MSNBC, Weather Channel, E!, NBC Sports, etc. So if you drop Comcast and get a streaming service that includes these channels, you're still giving them money. It may not be to the Charleston Xfinity office, but Comcast is still getting it.

Comcast owns 30% of Hulu as well, so if you drop Xfinity and get Hulu, you're still giving Comcast money.

Cable companies are also offering their own streaming services now. Sling is really Dish Network, Directv Now is AT&T, and Xfinity Comcast has their own service coming, if it's not out already, so they don't see the incentive of making their traditional cable better.

They may still lower the bill or try to keep you on, but in the end they're not as worried about losing you as a customer as they used to be because they can get your money in other ways.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
I have Comcast and I have had them go to a lower rate (based on the current promo) over the years. I only use internet but I just renewed my $39.99/mo promo through them. That gets me the "Blast" speed which seems to measure ~90mbs. I put it on my calendar to call them every year before the current promo ends and it's usually a 20min or less phone call. You have to watch them though... twice in the last two years they suddenly started charging me for a rental modem even though I've owned my own modem from day one. I think all of the cable companies play those games.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:38 AM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
To answer your question, not really. Because they are still getting your money regardless. Even if you drop Xfinity TV and get a streaming service, you still need internet to use it, and they have internet monopolized. These cable giants also own the TV channels.

Comcast owns all NBC Universal channels, which includes Bravo, Syfy, USA, NBC, Oxygen, Telemundo, MSNBC, Weather Channel, E!, NBC Sports, etc. So if you drop Comcast and get a streaming service that includes these channels, you're still giving them money. It may not be to the Charleston Xfinity office, but Comcast is still getting it.

Comcast owns 30% of Hulu as well, so if you drop Xfinity and get Hulu, you're still giving Comcast money.

Cable companies are also offering their own streaming services now. Sling is really Dish Network, Directv Now is AT&T, and Xfinity Comcast has their own service coming, if it's not out already, so they don't see the incentive of making their traditional cable better.

They may still lower the bill or try to keep you on, but in the end they're not as worried about losing you as a customer as they used to be because they can get your money in other ways.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I tried calling Time Warner/Spectrum to get my mom's bill lower again. First rep shot me down so called again and again got shot down. I give up. No way would I ever go to Spectrum. They don't seem to care to retain customers that have been with them since 1996 and paid every bill on time. They won't work with you. They have the attitude that if you dont' like the cost, leave. I really wish my mom would leave and go elsewhere but she is set in her ways and doesn't like change.

If only she could keep her email, I think I 'might' could talk her into leaving.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I tried to cut cable, but if I dropped the TV package, and went with straight internet, I would have lost the bundling discount which would drive the cost of internet higher than the internet and basic TV combined now. I still cut my bill quite a bit, but I’m not cable free by any means.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
Im with Wow now, and thinking about going to Disk for just internet.
You think that's a good idea if I use "Sling" for my TV?

Thanks for all the info guys!!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
Im with Wow now, and thinking about going to Disk for just internet.
You think that's a good idea if I use "Sling" for my TV?

Thanks for all the info guys!!!!
That's all up to you. There's more to consider than just cost. You need to look at the channel lineup and see if you even watch them and if they have the channels you do watch. You also need to take in consideration how to get local channels if it's not included, and how well it will work and look with your internet.

The free trial will give you a first hand look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area