Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 30,430 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker on these boards, largely having spent that time taking in just about every piece of data along the way (a mix of facts and personal opinions). My wife and I are in our early 30's (no kids, yet) and knew that after getting married it would be time to put the big city life behind us and settle down somewhere that we would be happiest. We never had a 'list', it was Charleston and nowhere else which further cemented our decision.

Happy to say we have purchased a home, but during the actual process I may have learned more in that month than I did in the years browsing these boards. That is not to discredit all the very useful information here, but just the reality that you have to be on the ground to really experience the area beyond the keyboard.

I wanted to share some of my observations/learnings in hopes that someone who was like me might greatly benefit from my experience, especially if they're coming from a bigger city. Keeping in mind of course this is strictly another opinion of just one person and therefore should be weighted as such.

I'll try to organize my thoughts and provide context best I can, please remember again this is just the singular opinion of one anonymous stranger and my intention is not to offend or diminish anybody:

Why Mount Pleasant?

Having lived in the city, we have some experience with the premiums that comes with location. Proximity to downtown and the beaches were an imperative. Thinking down the road about children as well, the research pointed towards Mount Pleasant being the best bet for public schooling as well. The area matched closely with our budget as well (3br-4br) so it was the clear choice. What was less clear was....

North or South Mount Pleasant (zip: 29466 and 29464, respectively)

After doing all of our online homework, we were pretty much 100% dead set on Carolina Park or Park West. The allure of new construction, the prospect of new neighbors eager to meet new people, larger contingent of other transplants to potentially assimilate easier, and for a similar price point all seemed very worth it even if it meant trading off some location because 30-35 minutes to downtown/beach still on paper seemed like a breeze.

South Mount Pleasant was pricier, the homes were older, and the trade-off for 20 minutes in proximity to downtown/beach just didn't seem worth it. We also had some preconceived notions that with more established neighborhoods we would be outcasts and would feel very isolated after coming from somewhere where we lived on top of others.

I can't believe how wrong we were.

Why our preconceived notions about North Mount Pleasant were wrong:
Our entire 'list' was about 10-15 properties in Park West and Carolina Park. We spent a full day visiting each, including cruising the neighborhoods along the way. The homes were as expected, new, beautiful, neatly organized. But even as we loved the interior of the homes, it was when we stepped foot outside that something felt a bit - off. And it dawned on me that the neighborhood I was standing in could exist pretty much anywhere in the country. The upside of move-in ready new construction evaporated in an atmosphere that felt somewhat sterile. The lack of greenery and backdrop as well didn't feel like the Charleston we envisioned and the prior comforts of knowing it was 'just 30-35 minutes' away changed into skepticism. Once again, personal taste/opinion, people there looked very happy but just anecdotal evidence that as seemingly obvious as it sounds, you absolutely need to experience a neighborhood in person before drawing too strong of a conclusion. Even more importantly, you probably still can't draw that much of a conclusion until you actually live there but obviously not possible in such areas where there aren't any rental properties.

So the biggest learning I want to impart on those looking at Mount Pleasant from afar is:

Do not write-off South Mount Pleasant without experiencing it in person:
Feeling a tad dejected, we felt no other choice but to expand our search to the other half of the peninsula. It was 5pm and we refused to call it a day, even after going through a marathon of properties in North MtP, we wanted to race the sunset.

Upon cruising around, we became increasingly enthusiastic until we simply became emphatically stunned in our agreement about how South MtP was it for us. The big oaks, spanish moss, diverse architecture, friendly smiling and waving pedestrian that we drove by each time, local stores/shops, all could not have been properly factored in without experiencing it first-hand. It was more than just knowing that downtown and the beach were '10-15 minutes' away, it was actually feeling it. Juxtaposing that with North MtP, you know it's just '30-35 minutes' away, but boy did it feel much further since nothing around you seemed like Charleston or the beach.

Yes, with location comes a premium, so you have to look towards the upper end of your budget but comparatively to some properties in North MtP the costs are comparable. And yes, the homes are older, but many have been updated with plenty of modern touches. As with every decision, there are trade-offs, but I'd still encourage any house hunter who is committed to newer construction to still explore the area.

As mentioned, just wanted to share a few nuggets from my experience as for so long I was a frequent reader on these boards so hopefully this lends another perspective.

And again, just my 2 cents, based on an opinion of someone (to be very fair) that has only recently purchased and not lived in the area yet.

TL;DR / Captain Obvious Version: Try not to form too strong of an opinion of an area before experiencing it firsthand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
It sounds like you may have overgeneralized all of North Mount Pleasant to just brand new construction in just two neighborhoods.

Most of Park West, Dunes West, Charleston National, were built in the late 90's early 2000s and have completely established landscaping, large oak trees draped with Spanish moss, etc. I can't imagine Hamlin Plantation or Rivertowne not having a coastal vibe. Oyster Point is right on the coastal marsh next to an overgrown Confederate fort which as far as I know isn't typical of the rest of the US. Where I ride my bike (Laurel Hill next to Park West https://south-carolina-plantations.c...-pleasant.html) is an abandoned plantation. It feels pretty Charleston to me.

With the exception of Old Village, I found South Mount Pleasant to be the opposite of what you're describing. Aside from Shem Creek, South Mount Pleasant has more 70's style strip malls with prominent parking lots than the north end of town, which hide them behind tree lined buffers. What I found odd about the Charleston metro when I moved here, is the newer homes have a more old school southern vibe than the older homes built between 1930-1990s. Most of the homes from that 70 year period were just the same home styles popular all over the country. Then being "southern" became cool again, and houses ended up mimicking Charleston Single homes, high ceilings, lots of windows, and adding huge porches, gas lanterns, etc. I actually found the north end of town as having more of a coastal, Charleston vibe than the south end of town which mainly developed in the 50s-80s back when Mount Pleasant wanted to look like Ohio.

It is literally impossible to experience something without actually living there for a year or so. I know because I've tried. I've relocated on average about every 4-5 years. All my internet research convinced me to live in Summerville. Mount Pleasant didn't sound like my speed at all. 4 years and 2 kids later I ended up in North Mount Pleasant with no regrets. For me I wasn't dead set on North vs South Mount Pleasant. I had a monthly budget and I found that the same price home in South Mount Pleasant required more monthly expenses over new construction on the north end of town. Otherwise it's doubtful I would have regretted either location.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM

455 posts, read 669,677 times
Excellent post. Everyone is looking for something different, so very good you took the time to explore all of Mount Pleasant. For us, new is nice, but we remodeled south of the IOP and have the best of both worlds. Our neighbors are upgrading too, so things are staying nice even in the established neighborhoods. Very happy with our decision. Welcome to the area!

Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM

14 posts, read 30,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It sounds like you may have overgeneralized all of North Mount Pleasant to just brand new construction in just two neighborhoods.

Most of Park West, Dunes West, Charleston National, were built in the late 90's early 2000s and have completely established landscaping, large oak trees draped with Spanish moss, etc. I can't imagine Hamlin Plantation or Rivertowne not having a coastal vibe. Oyster Point is right on the coastal marsh next to an overgrown Confederate fort which as far as I know isn't typical of the rest of the US. Where I ride my bike (Laurel Hill next to Park West https://south-carolina-plantations.c...-pleasant.html) is an abandoned plantation. It feels pretty Charleston to me.

With the exception of Old Village, I found South Mount Pleasant to be the opposite of what you're describing. Aside from Shem Creek, South Mount Pleasant has more 70's style strip malls with prominent parking lots than the north end of town, which hide them behind tree lined buffers. What I found odd about the Charleston metro when I moved here, is the newer homes have a more old school southern vibe than the older homes built between 1930-1990s. Most of the homes from that 70 year period were just the same home styles popular all over the country. Then being "southern" became cool again, and houses ended up mimicking Charleston Single homes, high ceilings, lots of windows, and adding huge porches, gas lanterns, etc. I actually found the north end of town as having more of a coastal, Charleston vibe than the south end of town which mainly developed in the 50s-80s back when Mount Pleasant wanted to look like Ohio.

It is literally impossible to experience something without actually living there for a year or so. I know because I've tried. I've relocated on average about every 4-5 years. All my internet research convinced me to live in Summerville. Mount Pleasant didn't sound like my speed at all. 4 years and 2 kids later I ended up in North Mount Pleasant with no regrets. For me I wasn't dead set on North vs South Mount Pleasant. I had a monthly budget and I found that the same price home in South Mount Pleasant required more monthly expenses over new construction on the north end of town. Otherwise it's doubtful I would have regretted either location.
Very valid point, thanks - worth noting that my observations were primarily of just two of the mentioned neighborhoods (and for no longer than a day's worth of driving around). I believe we did cruise through Oyster Point, but I'm eager to see how my thoughts shift once we've actually settled in over time.

Agreed that the architecture and exterior of the homes themselves in South MtP do look more like Ohio than Charleston vs. new construction. The Charleston 'vibes' I got was more in relation to the neighborhoods themselves. Just felt a stronger connection to the city there vs. further north where things seemed a bit overly contrived - which is almost by definition what new construction entails.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM

455 posts, read 669,677 times
Drove through Carolina Park today. Oh my is it getting crowded. Some of the streets were difficult to pass through with cars parked on both sides. Drove past the area of the soon to be Costco with housing going up and down that road. In under a year massive growth up there!
And looks like no stop to it.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroundtree View Post
Very valid point, thanks - worth noting that my observations were primarily of just two of the mentioned neighborhoods (and for no longer than a day's worth of driving around). I believe we did cruise through Oyster Point, but I'm eager to see how my thoughts shift once we've actually settled in over time.

Agreed that the architecture and exterior of the homes themselves in South MtP do look more like Ohio than Charleston vs. new construction. The Charleston 'vibes' I got was more in relation to the neighborhoods themselves. Just felt a stronger connection to the city there vs. further north where things seemed a bit overly contrived - which is almost by definition what new construction entails.
It might be a bit too soon to form an opinion on your neighbors. At least wait until the new home euphoria wears off.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,950 times
The way you feel about Mt P south of the IOP is how most people feel. It's more than just a suburb of Walmart and Lowe's. It's where the town was founded. It's full of restaurants, parks and neighborhoods that have real history. And convenience? Find me another place in Chrleston where you can be downtown or to the beach in 15 minutes or less. There is more than one reason a 1960s brick ranch on 0.25 acres in inner Mount P costs the same as a McMansion in Park West...

Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
There’s a North Mount Pleasant and a South Mount Pleasant. What are we coming to? Is North Mount Pleasant in Mount Pleasant? Or are they thinking about becoming their own city?

Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There’s a North Mount Pleasant and a South Mount Pleasant. What are we coming to? Is North Mount Pleasant in Mount Pleasant? Or are they thinking about becoming their own city?
In West Ashley speak, it would be like outside 526 vs inside.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
The way you feel about Mt P south of the IOP is how most people feel. It's more than just a suburb of Walmart and Lowe's. It's where the town was founded. It's full of restaurants, parks and neighborhoods that have real history. And convenience? Find me another place in Chrleston where you can be downtown or to the beach in 15 minutes or less. There is more than one reason a 1960s brick ranch on 0.25 acres in inner Mount P costs the same as a McMansion in Park West...
No. If most people felt that way, everybody would be living in the south end of town.
The city was founded on two streets in Old Village and it remained that way until the 1940’s. 99.9% of Mount Pleasant is not living anywhere near the origins of the city. Where most people live today was mainly unincorporated rural areas that became absorbed into the town over time.
Distance to the beach is more appropriately calculated as distance to a bridge and parking at the beach. Most people can spend 15 minutes alone in Sullivan’s Island just looking for parking. I can get from driveway to the Isle of Palms beach parking lot in 18 minutes.
Both parts of town have their perks. The north end of town is generally more popular with families. When you have kids, driving to the neighborhood pool in a golf cart becomes more of a desireable amenity to bar hopping on Coleman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area