Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,536 times

Advertisements

I may take a new job in the Charleston area, but I would like to live in a smaller community? Just me and a dog. Any thoughts on best places to live within 45 min commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
There will be many answers...better than mine.

but when I lived there, there was and is a huge problematic traffic commute from outer small towns into and out of the city during rush hour. You definitely want to avoid that...

Old 06-23-2018, 10:04 AM

624 posts, read 692,583 times
That is a big question. The first being what is your budget.

Housing in Charleston and surrounding areas is expensive, but you can do OK within that 45 minute radius.

Second question, where is your job going to be located. That would help judge the 45-minute radius.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 AM

32 posts, read 47,703 times
I'm thinking of Hanahan (pop about 23K) myself. About a half hour commute. Safer than Charleston too.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,536 times
Job in Downtown Charleston, I currently work in a large city and live about 45 min north, so I'm not new to traffic nightmares and commuting. I would love to be closer to work, but I want the small town feel, a community to get involved in, make friends. My budget is not high, not a good thing for Charleston it appears. I wonder if renting is the best option in the beginning to get a feel of where to buy. That would then factor in places to live.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:14 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM50 View Post
Job in Downtown Charleston, I currently work in a large city and live about 45 min north, so I'm not new to traffic nightmares and commuting. I would love to be closer to work, but I want the small town feel, a community to get involved in, make friends. My budget is not high, not a good thing for Charleston it appears. I wonder if renting is the best option in the beginning to get a feel of where to buy. That would then factor in places to live.
What is your budget?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:36 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM50 View Post
I'd go north or south of town. You can still get he small town vibe in Awendaw or McClellanville to the north. Many small towns south. Traffic, however, might be adventurous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvid View Post
I'm thinking of Hanahan (pop about 23K) myself. About a half hour commute. Safer than Charleston too.
You missed Hanahan being small town living by about 10 years.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I feel like you might want to find a portion of one of the suburbs that lets you function as if you are in a small town. Parts of James Island and West Ashley will let you treat your immediate area as the equivalent of a town (church, gathering points, restaurants, groceries, etc.) When you are in those areas you will start to know the names and faces you see often. This would also keep you within the 45 minute radius since even Johns island and the Northern half of Mt Pleasant can spike to 45 with traffic.

In Hannahan your specific area will also have to fill the small town niche since the town is basically divided and the parts nearest Rivers Avenue function as North Charleston. The Park Circle area of North Charleston might also be worth a look depending on your needs and preferences.

The other problem is that aside from McClellanville (which is small and pricey in the nicer areas) the other closer areas are more of rural communities than small towns.

If you can share your budget that would let our resident real estate folks point you in a direction.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:50 PM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
That “small town feel” is elusive for sure. Especially with all communities around Charleston bring melting pots of locals, transplants and here for awhile folks.

Some places have a unique feel but you’ll find it more in a neighborhood than any town around here.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,647 times
Daniel Island is a great small town feeling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area