Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,078,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Because too many people move here from Ohio and New York. You are right in saying many come from Texas, Virginia, and California, but those are all acceptable. Texas and Virginia are in the South. California is neutral. The problem is the northerners and that is what the resent is about. The culture is different. Like said above, it is rude for those from Ohio to fly their Ohio State flags and put big stickers on their vehicles. We hate Ohio State here, especially those of us that are Alumni from the two biggest state schools. It is also rude to talk trash about the Philadelphia Eagles, we hate them too. So, if you must come here from Ohio or New York, please don't broadcast it especially about your college teams!
I'm surprised SC welcomes Californians. Californians typically whine about their own state, then move to another and ruin those states the same way they've ruined California. It's happenned to Washington and Oregon, happening to Colorado, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,906,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I'm surprised SC welcomes Californians. Californians typically whine about their own state, then move to another and ruin those states the same way they've ruined California. It's happenned to Washington and Oregon, happening to Colorado, etc.
I actually rarely see Californians here unless they were a military transfer, in which California is just the last place they lived.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 AM

3,588 posts, read 4,334,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One reason Ohioans get ragged on (teased) is there love for Ohio State football sets up a rivalry with USC and Clemson fans so the ragging/teasing is all in good spirits. The Northeast is not known as a football powerhouse thus they do not care much for college football so they are not seen as a rival.

No one I know sees Ohio State (or anyone in the Big Ten) as a football rivalry for an SEC or Southern ACC team. Maybe as an opponent in a Bowl game, but not as a rival.

I only know one person that's moved here from California and he's pretty conservative with a little Libertarian streak.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 AM

6,415 posts, read 1,410,613 times
My school, University of South Carolina, has played Ohio State twice in Bowl games. We hate Ohio State, and it is tough to see Ohio State bars and people wearing Ohio State sportswear, and even Ohio license plates....

Old 07-24-2018, 12:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,779,388 times
Oh please.

When I lived in Charleston, the Ohio thing really was just a word to include all transplants that the few get indignant about....usually involving traffic, driving habits etc.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM

606 posts, read 727,889 times
Ok, I'll admit it...we moved here from OH10 about 6 years ago. We quickly got rid of our Ohio tags and bought a few orange shirts so we'd "blend in". To be honest, we weren't from Ohio, neither of us was born or raised there. We got the heck back to the south just as quick as we could.

Oh, and don't let people say being from up north puts you at a disadvantage for jobs, we both quickly received very lucrative job offers, even with a 614 area code phone number. What employers want are people with strong skills AND a good education. Your next boss very well could be from north of the Mason-Dixon.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
My school, University of South Carolina, has played Ohio State twice in Bowl games. We hate Ohio State, and it is tough to see Ohio State bars and people wearing Ohio State sportswear, and even Ohio license plates....
What are you talking about? I went to USC and there's no rivalry with Ohio State. It's just another college you may see in a bowl game. It may not be my team, but I don't hate them any more than Nebraska or the Trojans. A rivalry is Auburn and AL, SC and GA, TN and FL, Clemson and FL State.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

482 posts, read 843,306 times
OSU's rival is Michigan period

Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 AM

6,415 posts, read 1,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
What are you talking about? I went to USC and there's no rivalry with Ohio State. It's just another college you may see in a bowl game. It may not be my team, but I don't hate them any more than Nebraska or the Trojans. A rivalry is Auburn and AL, SC and GA, TN and FL, Clemson and FL State.
Good to know another alumni from USC! Ok, I agree, you are right with the rivalries. I still don't like Ohio State, or seeing Ohio on license plates.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:11 AM

While I don't necessarily attribute this to Ohio, but rather the influx of non Southern transplants in general, is the lack of "Southern Graces" being taught to children. In other areas of the South you see this much more than what I see in Charleston these days.

Things like the expectation children will say "Yes ma'am or No sir". Often this is confused as an age thing by non Southerners. It goes deeper than that. It's a respect thing. We teach children that they need to address all adults in this manner as it's an easy way for them to learn as they are expected to respect all adults. But even as a grown man I say "Yes ma'am" to people younger than me at the dry cleaner or fast food restaurant. It's not about age or social status, it's simply a way to show respect.

A boy is taught to open doors for others. To walk on the outside of the sidewalk when walking with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area