Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM

354 posts, read 1,073,278 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the forum and doing research of cities in South Carolina and seem to be very drawn to the Mount Pleasant area. It seems to fit with the lifestyle my husand and I live and prefer.

-We are a married couple in our late 30's (40 coming up real soon....but we won't talk about that! LOL)
-We have 3 kids under 10 years old, and a dog.
-My husband is an aerospace engineer. I am a stay at home mother.
-We are practicing Roman Catholics.
-We are of Irish and French Canadian (Acadian) decent.
-We enjoy the urban lifestyle, dining out in nice restaurants, experiencing other cultures.
-We are very social and so are our children.

Does the Mount Pleasant area seem to fit in with our description?
I've never been to South Carolina. We have lived Tampa for a while in the Westchase area, and although many people considered these Mastered Planned communities like "bubbles".......we rather like them. Something about the continuity and asthestically pleasing environment really appeals to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

397 posts, read 1,068,098 times
Default SC is great!

I relocated here from NJ/NY area 5 years ago and we made our decision in one week that this is where we would live the rest of our lives! My parents soon followed and moved to I'on, which is an absolutely beautiful area of gorgeous homes, lots of family oriented activities, close to downtown Charleston, and such. Daniel Island is a bit further from the beach, but also a beautiful area of newer homes, and Mount Pleasant is where I live and is just great. I mean GREAT! I am 10 minutes to the beach, 15 minutes to downtown, and each weekend is full of either golf, or beach, or boating, farmers markets, and wonderful restaurants.

I can't speak highly enough of your decision to explore this area and would love to be of more help to you!

People also love their dogs here, so bring 'em on! Walking the beach with my dog is one of my favorite things to do.

The people are the friendliest I've ever met. The decision of which area (I'on is in Mount Pleasant) would include, of course, your decision on how much you want to spend on a home, and the schools. I'on has a Montessori located right in the subdivision, and a bit further north of I'on in Mount Pleasant is the Cario and Pinckney public school district which is highly recommended.

The taxes here are incredibly low, the property insurance prices however have risen due to rezoning of flood zones, and wind and hail and that pricing would determine the subdivision are you choose (coming from FL, I assume you are used to that as well!).

Hmmm, what else can I help you with? Shem Creek is full of shrimp boats, and restaurants where you can bring your boat right up and dock, Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island are the local beaches.

Let me know what other information you are curious about!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM

397 posts, read 1,068,098 times
Default more things...

As a stay at home mom, you will not be lonely - there are TONS of great social groups for you to become a part of. There is a Newcomers Club, and you will find that there are many stay at home moms to socialize with. Your husbands field is very big here too, lots of engineering companies. The area is just so family oriented it's great.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,991,203 times
I second the above. You are going to love living in Mt. Pleasant, I'on, or Daniel Island.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM

354 posts, read 1,073,278 times
Update:

Moved to Daniel Island in Aug/08...kids go to school in Mt. Pleasant....and I LOVE it here!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 30,185 times
Acadianirish- are you still liking Daniel Island two years later? Why did you out your kids in mt pleasant schools... Is there a problem with DI schools?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
I'm wondering how your experience has been.. We are thinking of relocating here. We have three young children and are (Irish) Catholic as well. That being said, we are leaving a tight knit community and family in Chicago. It's hard to make the leap. We are afraid how hard it will be to start over and make new friends, especially since I'm a SAHM and my husband will work from home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,554,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpc14 View Post
I'm wondering how your experience has been.. We are thinking of relocating here. We have three young children and are (Irish) Catholic as well. That being said, we are leaving a tight knit community and family in Chicago. It's hard to make the leap. We are afraid how hard it will be to start over and make new friends, especially since I'm a SAHM and my husband will work from home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
It's always a challenge to move to a new location where you don't know anyone, but with 3 kids, you should have plenty of opportunity for meeting people. People here are generally very friendly.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:32 AM

14,190 posts, read 14,543,530 times
Local joke. The reason it is spelled I'On was Pretentious was to difficult to spell.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:26 AM

3,579 posts, read 4,311,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Local joke. The reason it is spelled I'On was Pretentious was to difficult to spell.
I don't know anyone that makes this joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area