Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,387 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have input on this community? (Rushland Plantation on Johns Island)

I was not aware of it until recently. The homes there seem really nice with great water views and some access, but something just seems off about it. There are tons of vacant lots. It looks like this place was just getting started before the market crash, so maybe that is part of the problem.

I know that 526 is theoretically going to go right next to it assuming that project actually happens at some point in our lifetimes. Is flooding a major concern that could be another factor in why this development does not seem to be built out like one might expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,556,467 times
There's probably a few reasons it's slow to be sold with the looming 526 extension being the primary one. No one's 100% positive if, when and exactly where, it would go. It's most likely to go right in between Rushland and Headquarters Island. The western end of Rushland would probably be the least affected. Here's a map to the most likely route (alternative G):
https://www.scdot.org/MCE/pdfs/Alternative_G.pdf

Johns Island also has serious traffic woes and questionable schools. They're working on the traffic issues with a re-vamped Maybank Highway but we won't know until it's completed in Sept, how much that will help. I believe the schools are improving and will continue to do so, but that's a years long process.

Rushland will always be in a flood zone that requires insurance and the houses will always be raised house construction.

All that considered, Johns Island has some great potential. The Rushland Plantation area is fairly close into Downtown Charleston during non-rush hr and it's a beautiful natural setting with lot sizes much bigger than what you would usually find in any newer construction.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM

48 posts, read 40,888 times
There is the history back in the war time about that area. You may do some research to find out more.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,387 times
I guess 526 is the biggest unknown variable.

That is a very good point about schools. I wonder how the school situation will change in general with so many new developments being built on Johns Island.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM

With newcomers and higher dollar houses being built/sold, I'm sure the schools are improving and will continue to do so. It's possible that a school will be added. As a Realtor, I'm not allowed to comment on individual schools due to the Fair Housing Act...

Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,149,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHShomesearch View Post
I guess 526 is the biggest unknown variable.

That is a very good point about schools. I wonder how the school situation will change in general with so many new developments being built on Johns Island.

Until a healthy mass of the newer (or existing) residents starts using the schools they will pretty much only see mild improvements. A lot of people factor the cost of private schools into their purchase price on Johns Island. Other make good use of transfer policies and charter/magnate schools in the district.

Mt Pleasant and Summerville attract the lion's share of academically concerned new comers. James Island and Hannahan see a lot of locals who move for schools who cannot afford/do not want/do not like the trade offs of Mt Pleasant or Summerville. Higher sales costs are no silver bullet as the highest priced areas of downtown, West Ashley, Daniel Island and even Mt Pleasant seem to all be heavily populated with private school families.

As bad as traffic can be it still leaves you closer to downtown, rivers, and the beaches than making a similar commute up 26. And it has the benefit of being very close to town during non-rush hour traffic.

I know a couple that moved to Rushland a couple of years ago specifically to build their dream home- nice home/view/etc and they mentioned knowing about traffic versus the reality of living with traffic are very different. Their previous home was only 5 stoplights into West Ashley but they sold because it was going to get drawn into a less desirable flood zone on updated maps.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 PM

There's over 600 new homes that have been sold on Johns Island in the last 5 years with almost all of them clustered between Main Rd and the Stono River and above Plowground Rd. I believe the pace is accelerating and that's bound to have an effect on the schools, albeit a gradual one.

I think (hope) that the improvements to Maybank Hwy to River Rd will alleviate traffic somewhat but that remains to be seen. If you can avoid rush hr, that area of Johns Island is really pretty close in.

Mrpeatie, not sure what you meant in your last paragraph... are you saying your friends knew the traffic was bad but didn't realize how much that mattered until they moved there?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 PM

6,415 posts, read 1,387,668 times
Local Hero knows real estate, but I can add about the area. The East part of Johns Island where Rushland Plantantion (which is a very , very nice upscale neighborhood) is and the other neighborhoods in the area of River Rd and Maybank Hwy are really in the major changing area of Johns Island. I have to believe that in two years it will be much like James Island in that area with more commercial properties. That area is also in close proximity to downtown as it is right off Maybank Hwy at the bottom of the Stono Bridge. As well, it is in a generally very safe area of Johns Island, as opposed to the other end of Maybank Hwy & Main Rd. I believe 526 will be approved and completed in the next few years as well, and I don't know the impact this will have on Rushland Plantation, but it will allow for immediate access off the island via 526.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area