Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 12,084 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone in this forum. My name is Camerone and i just graduated from Aviation institute of Maintenance with my associates in Aviation science. As of today i have be officially offered a position at Boeing Aerospace as sheet metal assembler til i finish my FAA test for my A&P license. I start the end of this month. Super excited to start and have been trying to get things together for this transition.

So my income a month as a rough guess without overtime maybe anywhere from 3800 to 4500 depending on state tax and fed. With my current bills im down to $775 a month. Im single, 31, AA, no kids, no wife. As far as places to stay i want to try the roommate idea but still iffy about it. As far as aparments go i have seen some reasonably price from 800 to 910 range. Found qutie a few places near summerville, mt pleasant, and a few places near north Charleston. I have some questions for guidance. What areas should i stay clear of? Are the reasonably priced place below 1100 a month safe? How is the traffic getting to and from boeing i.e. the interstates, streets? Is traffic in the area a horrific nightmare compared to Atl? Is gas ridiculous compared to Atl? And is the what is the weather like around this time of year?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 10:45 AM

624 posts, read 690,377 times
Welcome and congratulations on the new position!

Your questions:

What areas should i stay clear of?

The Charleston area doesn't have a specific "bad" area. There are bad areas within good areas and good areas within bad. There are parts of North Charleston you will definitely want to avoid.

Are the reasonably priced place below 1100 a month safe?

They can be. But this is the hottest real estate market in North America and the economy is booming. If something is cheaper, it is cheaper for a reason. If you only have $775 to spare, that means a roommate for sure if you want to stay in a nice neighborhood. Or cutting your lifestyle.

How is the traffic getting to and from boeing i.e. the interstates, streets?

Traffic depends on the time of day. During rush hour, it's horrible. Like a mini-Atlanta. Outside of rush hour, it's just fine. Getting to and from Boeing, it's not bad. 526/26 backs up and International Boulevard gets congested during rush hour.

Is traffic in the area a horrific nightmare compared to Atl?

See above

Is gas ridiculous compared to Atl?

We have the cheapest gasoline in the United States, so you will enjoy the gas prices.

And is the what is the weather like around this time of year?

Hot, humid and rainy. You will be right at home!

Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,856,159 times
I would stick with summerville/goose creek area. West Ashley would be idea but your budget wont go very far there. I would say go with a roommate if you can just to help save money untill you can save up.

Traffic is heavy here during rush hour but nothing like Atlanta. Traffic also barely comes to a complete stop. Its just really slow. Outside of rush hour you can pretty much go anywhere without traffic excluding the beaches on the weekend.

Weather would be about the same as Atlanta but to me it gets hotter in atlanta and colder in the winter. You can also escape the heat here snd head to the beach

Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 AM

657 posts, read 736,582 times
I’ll be opposite of the above poster. Get a roommate and look in West Ashley (or Mt P if you want to). At 31 and single I would not want to live in Summerville (traffic in morning if normal hours is terrible) or Goose Creek.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,856,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
I’ll be opposite of the above poster. Get a roommate and look in West Ashley (or Mt P if you want to). At 31 and single I would not want to live in Summerville (traffic in morning if normal hours is terrible) or Goose Creek.
You go where you can afford. I said west Ashley if he can find somewhere for a good price or roommate. And he is from Atlanta so 26 traffic is nothing compared to Atlanta

Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 12,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I would stick with summerville/goose creek area. West Ashley would be idea but your budget wont go very far there. I would say go with a roommate if you can just to help save money untill you can save up.

Traffic is heavy here during rush hour but nothing like Atlanta. Traffic also barely comes to a complete stop. Its just really slow. Outside of rush hour you can pretty much go anywhere without traffic excluding the beaches on the weekend.

Weather would be about the same as Atlanta but to me it gets hotter in atlanta and colder in the winter. You can also escape the heat here snd head to the beach
Ment to say if if my rent is a 1000 a month. Then i will have atleast 1800 to 2k after all my bills including rent since i will be working alot. I dont know any websites or ideas for searching for roommates. Tried craigslist but it has me a bit skeptical.
I actually like the summerville/goose creek area. And the traffic sound better then Atlanta by A LONG SHOT. Tired of sitting in stand still traffic for and hr or more. The weather sounds fine compared to when i lived in Florida for 5 years.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 PM

973 posts, read 911,834 times
If you're at the airport campus, try to find a place in West Ashley. You do not want to be driving on Dorchester.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,581,336 times
I agree about West Ashley being the first choice that might be affordable but it will be hard to meet your budget without a housemate. There are a number of websites geared towards helping you find housemates. Google.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM

95 posts, read 76,335 times
No need in calling the bad areas by name, you will know them when you see them. Having lived in N. Charleston for 40+ years, I'd say many of them are located there. My vote is West Ashley. If you had a bigger budget or roommate, I would say Mt. Pleasant. Summerville would be my last choice because of the traffic. If you don't like ATL traffic, you won't like Summerville's either.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 AM

28 posts, read 22,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anewstep View Post
Ment to say if if my rent is a 1000 a month. Then i will have atleast 1800 to 2k after all my bills including rent since i will be working alot. I dont know any websites or ideas for searching for roommates. Tried craigslist but it has me a bit skeptical.
I actually like the summerville/goose creek area. And the traffic sound better then Atlanta by A LONG SHOT. Tired of sitting in stand still traffic for and hr or more. The weather sounds fine compared to when i lived in Florida for 5 years.
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/top-...ommate-finders My friend has used roommates.com and roomiematch.com and found those to be very helpful. I'd take a look at the other sites too. I agree that Craigslist is a hit or miss so I generally tend to avoid using it. With so many young professionals moving into Charleston right now, I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a roommate. It's just a matter of finding the right one. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area