Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Some places, sure. Walmart I think is one of them. Most small retailers (myself) don't have that option.
Sure you do. It's just a check scanner. Any decent merchant provider should be able to give you that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:38 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
Unfortunatly, I am starting to understand why Mt. Pleasant has the "snobby" reputation it does. I have been noticing it subtly on a daily basis but today takes the cake. I have never been so mad at someone. I accidentally made a wrong turn into a subdivision (Simmon's Point if you want to know!) and someone actually had the nerve to stop their car and reprimand me for trying to turn around to get out. How else was I supposed to get out?? Pretend I lived there and park in someone's driveway and then leave?!

After living here the past 2 months, I can see the snobbery (is that even a word?) more and more. I am so disappointed because I really like this area. And before someone says it, I know that the majority of people are not like this but there are enough of them that it makes living here kind of uncomfortable!

Sorry, but this is just more of a vent. The woman really made me mad. I am sure many residents here are very nice. <sigh>

A very simple solution...flip her the bird. It'll make you feel better and really get the other person's panties in a wad.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 AM

14 posts, read 17,647 times
Seriously, drivers here need to chill out. Hey, its the Low Country, relax. Too many aggressive drivers lately. Hang up the cell phone folks, kick back, and enjoy some local radio. Look out for your fellow drivers as if they were family. I lived in Hawaii for several years while in grad school and you learn to adopt the Aloha way. Kindness and courtesy begets kindness and courtesy. That's the way we should conduct ourselves here. Drive with kindness and you teach others to drive the same way.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I've said this many times -- kindness and courtesy can often create more traffic nightmares. Drivers who ignore the traffic signs and stop to allow someone to enter traffic do more damage than harm. Read the traffic signs -- yield when they tell you, keep moving when they tell you. You don't do the otehr drivers any favors by creating your own traffic rules.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Just wondering... why in the world do people still write checks? I couldn't tell you the last time I actually wrote a check! I am always wondering why this still happens in 2010? Debit cards are much quicker and don't hold up the line as much
You use a check to leave a paper trail and to protect your funds. With a debit card if someone gets the acct. info they can quickly drain your acct. and you have precious little protection. Paying with a debit card is the least best way to protect your funds when making a purchase. Just about any other way, Cash, check or credit card is better. THAT is WHY IN THE WORLD people still write checks.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
If you have a bank accuont. you are in the computers. Someone can create a debit card and take it from there. I've been using a bank card since they were first invented and have never had any problems. I did have someone steal a check, erase the ink and refill in the amount on the check.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Honestly its more of an issue of: "old school" vs "new school" ... Just like cell phones, the newbies are into texting, FB'ing, Tweeting whereas the older generation can't be bothered and are not as willing to learn different ways of communication. They are of the mind set "just give me a phone to make a call" ... I think its all relative

Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I've said this many times -- kindness and courtesy can often create more traffic nightmares. Drivers who ignore the traffic signs and stop to allow someone to enter traffic do more damage than harm. Read the traffic signs -- yield when they tell you, keep moving when they tell you. You don't do the otehr drivers any favors by creating your own traffic rules.
That is very true in a boomtown like Charleston where everyone is from somewhere else, and there are so many diverse driving styles, and the traffic is more than the roads were designed for. But in areas that do not fit that description, courtesy is often expected and a norm.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Just a question:

Do the banks down there alert you for 'suspicious activity' in your account?

For example, if you travel to South Dakota and write checks, will they contact you- just to be sure it's you writing said check?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Some do, some don't all depends on the bank......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area