Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 4,348 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone..

I am new to this board and new to Mount Pleasant (three weeks here). I am staying in the Park West area and I wanted to ask about this area with Florence coming our way! Does the Park West area that flood really bad? I am in a two story townhouse... would my stuff be safe if I move it upstairs etc. How do you guys plan for this and what should I do or be aware of?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 AM

480 posts, read 503,948 times
Have your car filled with gas and follow the tracking. At this point, your best plan is to leave if it tracks this way.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:41 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
Hi there. Welcome to Mt Pleasant! You should be fine in Park West as far as flooding. As Rocky said, make sure your car is filled by tomorrow. Go to Costco or Publix and buy some water and non-perishable food (crackers, peanut butter, tuna, bread, nuts, etc.). You should have these whether you plan to leave or stay. Because if you leave, it you may be in your car a LONG time as traffic can get really backed up.

Whether you leave or not is a personal decision to some extent. The Governor may mandate an evacuation next week, but still some people won't leave. Realize that if they mandate an evacuation and you stay and the storm gets bad, you may be on your own (without help if you need it).

We left for Matthew, but mainly because we have an older dog and taking her out in that weather is hard. We stayed for Irma and it was fine. The scariest thing was the constant tornado warnings. If this turns out to be a Cat 4 headed our way, we're out of here. I'm on the fence if we'd leave for a Cat 3.

If you stay, in addition to the water and food (you should have enough for a week), you will need to get cash as ATMS may not work, and banks will be closed. Get any prescriptions filled that you will need. Buy a portable cell phone charger, and get a first aid kit. Get some ziplock bags for important papers, some batteries, flashlights, camping lantern and a crank type or battery powered radio. Turn your freezer up to the coldest setting. A little trick - fill a coffee cup with water and place it in the freezer. Once it's frozen, put a nickel on top. That way you will know if the power goes out and your food is potentially bad - the nickel will sink into the ice.

If this is a home you own and not a rental, you may want to board your windows. Especially if this turns into a Cat 4 and looks like it will be a direct hit.

Back up the data on your computer, and if the storm hits unplug everything. We lost a TV last storm - got blown out even though it was on a surge protector. Expensive mistake. Fill up your sinks and bathtubs with water in case you need it to wash or flush the toilet. Clean out an interior closet in and keep a flashlight and the radio in there and the phone charger in case you have to hide out for the tornado warnings.

Get yourself one of the hurricane guides and install the SC EMD app on your phone. Learn which evacuation route you are on, and if you think in the slightest you want to - or may have to - leave, than make your reservations NOW. You can always cancel. Pickings are VERY slim right now so don't wait.

Best of luck. Just use common sense and be cautious. Keep an eye on the local stations and the Weather Channel for updates and plan accordingly.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Thank you both so much! I really appreciate it!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
I just typically buy 1 case of water, some canned food and meats, extra charcoal (to cook all my food in the freezer on the grill), lots of alcohol, charge all my iPads and phones and stuff, gas the cars, buy some batteries, and refresh weather apps for the next 72 hours until it passes.
If it’s over a Cat 3 I flee, 2 and below I stay, if it’s a 3, I’ll leave if it’s a direct hit. Usually the aftermath sucks worse than the hurricane itself. That and trying to buy supplies because all the hurricane noobs insist on buying 20 pallets of water at a time making it harder for everybody else to stock up.
Park West for the most part was high and dry for the last 2 hurricanes and the 1000 year flood in 2015. Ask your neighbors about the water levels from the past 3 years and that should give you an idea of what to expect.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Will Park West flood? Who knows!

I remember during the 100 year flood people kayaking down the side of Park West Blvd near the pool. That's all new houses now on that side. What that does for flooding is anyone's guess. I wouldn't worry about flooding were you're on the roof of your house. But flooding to the point you can't get out and help can't get in is a real possibility. 41 closed during the 100 year, the only way out to 17 was PWB.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:56 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Will Park West flood? Who knows!

I remember during the 100 year flood people kayaking down the side of Park West Blvd near the pool. That's all new houses now on that side. What that does for flooding is anyone's guess. I wouldn't worry about flooding were you're on the roof of your house. But flooding to the point you can't get out and help can't get in is a real possibility. 41 closed during the 100 year, the only way out to 17 was PWB.
You mean the 1000 yr flood

1000 Year Flood | Charleston Daily

Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
You mean the 1000 yr flood
What's several hundred years between friends

Old 09-10-2018, 06:31 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Yes, sections of Park West will flood if there is enough rain and storm surge. The new town homes should be ok. Parts of Grey Marsh were closed for a bit as the ponds couldn't handle all the water.

The storm has a radius of 200 NM. That means it is 100 NM from the center. Currently all maps point to a NC landfall. If the storm continues to track as it is now, we might just get a few thunderstorms.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks again everyone! I asked a few neighbors but everyone is new like me (within a year!) Go figure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area