Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,594,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
West Ashley isn’t a barrier island and they already have access to 526. So you can’t include them in this bogus argument. Kiawah and Seabrook are nowhere near the planned 526 extension. The only people this serves is a few thousand people on Johns island who bought before thinking about the brain melting traffic they would have to endure on a daily basis. And that’s not worth spending a billion dollars to fix.

This is true if you only consider the extension onto Johns Island. The original plan, continuing 526 to the James Island connector provides another route into downtown and would take a lot of traffic off of 17. It would also add a traffic to the James Island connector which I won't like, but at the rate it's going, we'll all be driving flying cars or just be transported instantly ala Star Trek before it happens. Scotty, beam me to West Ashley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 05:15 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Maybe the winner of the Mega Millions jackpot lives on Johns or James Island and can donate the winnings to help pay to get I-526 complete!

Old 10-24-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe the winner of the Mega Millions jackpot lives on Johns or James Island and can donate the winnings to help pay to get I-526 complete!

I was going to buy the winning ticket last night but I forgot.
I have a friend who says he only buys used lottery tickets... They're half the price and the odds are almost the same!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:43 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
This is true if you only consider the extension onto Johns Island. The original plan, continuing 526 to the James Island connector provides another route into downtown and would take a lot of traffic off of 17. It would also add a traffic to the James Island connector which I won't like, but at the rate it's going, we'll all be driving flying cars or just be transported instantly ala Star Trek before it happens. Scotty, beam me to West Ashley!
The extension would atleast provide proper exits onto/off of the connector. My experience is that the big impediment to the connector is the volume of cars having to make it through the traffic lights onto Folly Road. It obviously will not be perfect but having the majority of cars merging instead of stopping should help some. I also think they are going to have to look improving a couple of the intersections closest to the connector. Long term Riverland also needs to be addressed- especially the 2-3 intersections that are the worst choke points.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

Thanks! This is a great idea! But, we already have the money from the 1/2 cent tax referendum and CHATS Berk-Dorch-Chs.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The extension would atleast provide proper exits onto/off of the connector. My experience is that the big impediment to the connector is the volume of cars having to make it through the traffic lights onto Folly Road. It obviously will not be perfect but having the majority of cars merging instead of stopping should help some. I also think they are going to have to look improving a couple of the intersections closest to the connector. Long term Riverland also needs to be addressed- especially the 2-3 intersections that are the worst choke points.

You're right about the lights. I was thinking of the morning traffic going into town but the other way is just as clogged.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:11 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Call me a Scrooge, but I’m not an advocate for spending a billion dollars so that a small fraction of Charleston residents can shave a couple minutes off their drive time. We have bigger problems that affect nearly everybody and this 526 extension is just a distraction.

This would be like residents of Sullivan’s advocating for a billion dollar flyover that connects the island to 526 so that they don’t have to fight all the Floridiots clogging up Ben Sawyer every day during the summer. Only sounds good if you’re capable of a very superficial thought process.
I see what you're saying, but remember the Ravenal Bridge benefits Mount Pleasant more than it does Summerville. It's all give and take.

The upshot is if you ever travel south, to GA or FL, or even just go to Savannah or Beaufort, that will be less people on 17 so you can make it happen.

For me personally, the concept sketches have a bike path on it that connects to the West Ashley Greenway, which I wouldn't mind riding on just for giggles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area