Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 AM

2,276 posts, read 2,631,663 times

Advertisements

What a surprise. So what's your take on this unexpected meeting? At the request of your governor who's running for reelection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM

5,233 posts, read 6,159,630 times
It's not really re-election since he inherited the job. More like continuation.

And sadly at this point I will take any maneuver, circumstance or loophole possible to finish the flippin road. As someone who lives in close in West Ashley and ends up on Folly Road on James Island after work about twice per week, the traffic is absolutely ruining the livability of the area. I can only imagine how miserable it is for people further out.

We should already be working on a second perimeter loop by now not debating the first one. Too many people are driving 10-15 miles back toward downtown or 526 only to turn around and drive the same distance back out again. If we could relieve some of the traffic I actually think it would also be a boon to mass transit since it would create more spots for viable park and rides and the buses wouldn't have such miserable times keeping a schedule. Then we might even get ot look into a monorail or similar to ease things a little more.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,937,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
What a surprise. So what's your take on this unexpected meeting? At the request of your governor who's running for reelection?
My guess is he's sick of sitting in traffic like the rest of us.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:01 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,930,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My guess is he's sick of sitting in traffic like the rest of us.
I don't think he lives in Charleston.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:10 PM

1,124 posts, read 911,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I don't think he lives in Charleston.
Nope, him and James Smith are from Columbia. Born and bred.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,395,850 times
I knew the meeting was coming, so no suprise. Whats done now, should have been done 5 years ago. Its great news, and needs to get started soon, which should have been completed 5 years ago.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I knew the meeting was coming, so no suprise. Whats done now, should have been done 5 years ago. Its great news, and needs to get started soon, which should have been completed 5 years ago.
The price keeps skyrocketing, the longer they wait the more it's going to cost. It's not going to get any cheaper, and their tax coffers aren't going to catch up anytime soon.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,043,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The price keeps skyrocketing, the longer they wait the more it's going to cost. It's not going to get any cheaper, and their tax coffers aren't going to catch up anytime soon.

You're right and at the end of the day the only way I526 gets completed is by making it a toll road. They could place a toll expiration date on it to gain voter support. I don't see the county being able to raise $375M - $ 500M by other means. The northern and southern pitchforks still need to be financed.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
You're right and at the end of the day the only way I526 gets completed is by making it a toll road. They could place a toll expiration date on it to gain voter support. I don't see the county being able to raise $375M - $ 500M by other means. The northern and southern pitchforks still need to be financed.
It's a vicious cycle. They spend a year getting the lowest bids, then the vote and it's too much money and they can't come up with the money, then they sit on it, the bid expires, they get new bids and repeat the process. At some point someone's going to grab the project by the horns and solve it.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,869,693 times
It’s counter intuitive, but’s probably bad timing with the economy doing well and low unemployment. Money is flowing so road contractors are booked years out on other jobs and manpower is scarce and contractors aren’t that desperate for the work.
I
t’s when the economy crashes is when you get the best deal on bids, you just have the foresight to know the tax base will catch up to pay for it eventually once the economy rebounds.
Most of our largest infrastructure projects in the country were done during the Great Depression. The Ravenel Bridge was bid on during the early 2000 recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area