U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:29 PM

12,116 posts, read 17,172,780 times

Advertisements

My maternal grandmother’s maternal grandfather Calloway (Cal for short) was born in Dorchester County in 1830. His father Joshua was born in Colleton County in 1790, and Joshua’s father Joseph was born in Orangeburg in 1759. Joseph inherited land in Dorchester County from his father Thomas. Thomas inherited it from his father Joseph. Joseph inherited it from his father John, who inherited it from his father Joseph, who accumulated it after arriving at Charleston in 1671 and living here until his death. He once owned four lots along what is now named Philadelphia Alley, as well as a lot of land on the upper peninsula. I often look over the Charleston Harbor and imagine him arriving here by ship so long ago. He had no way of knowing that someday he would have an eighth great grandson who would visualize his long journey and new life here. I love Charleston, the birthplace of my maternal roots on American soil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM

7,096 posts, read 5,476,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
My maternal grandmother’s maternal grandfather Calloway (Cal for short) was born in Dorchester County in 1830. His father Joshua was born in Colleton County in 1790, and Joshua’s father Joseph was born in Orangeburg in 1759. Joseph inherited land in Dorchester County from his father Thomas. Thomas inherited it from his father Joseph. Joseph inherited it from his father John, who inherited it from his father Joseph, who accumulated it after arriving at Charleston in 1671 and living here until his death. He once owned four lots along what is now named Philadelphia Alley, as well as a lot of land on the upper peninsula. I often look over the Charleston Harbor and imagine him arriving here by ship so long ago. He had no way of knowing that someday he would have an eighth great grandson who would visualize his long journey and new life here. I love Charleston, the birthplace of my maternal roots on American soil.
That's awesome. I took have deep history here as two parts of my mother's family took two completely routes to arrive in America. My mom's paternal side first arrived here in the form of a British soldier in the Revolutionary War. Once they arrived on the shores of Beaufort, SC, he at some point was approached with an offer to defect from the British in exchange for land here in America. He took that offer and was granted 5000 acres in what's now Barnwell County. He became a "dirt farmer" and eeked out a living off his land. That side of the family has fought in the civil war, owned slaves, and lived a stereotypical white southern existence until present day. They still live in that area, still farm, and don't own anything of any wealth to speak of in this day and age.

My mother's maternal side were also English. They came to America in the early 1800's through James Island. They had managed a sugar plantation on is island of Barbados until civil unrest caused their workers to burn the crops and family home. They felt it was time to leave and so move to America shortly thereafter. The reasons for the revolt was due to my ancestor Giles Bowers having a child with one of the native women who worked for him. Ruth Great Beach was her name, and at the time this was very scandalous.

They spread their roots throughout James and Johns Islands, intertwining with the River's family along the way (prominent John's Island family), before settling in current day Hampton, SC.

I love history and knowing the routes and struggles of those that came before us. I spent nearly a decade studying my family tree.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:31 AM

13,829 posts, read 12,920,250 times
My wifes side harkins back in SC to the revolutionary war. Her descendents were Prussian (German) soldiers hired/conscripted by England to fight the war. There was a large contingent based in Charleston. When the British lost the war, many of the Prussian soldiers did not want to return so a large group of them (with locally met wives) went inland and ended up in Little Mountain and began farming there.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:18 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,168,820 times
I love family history too but my granddad came to the Philly area in 1914 as a teenager and lived there all his life as a carpenter. I came to Folly in 1983 with my 6mo old daughter. Still not considered locals but I do find myself saying ya'll occasionally.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
That's awesome. I took have deep history here as two parts of my mother's family took two completely routes to arrive in America. My mom's paternal side first arrived here in the form of a British soldier in the Revolutionary War. Once they arrived on the shores of Beaufort, SC, he at some point was approached with an offer to defect from the British in exchange for land here in America. He took that offer and was granted 5000 acres in what's now Barnwell County. He became a "dirt farmer" and eeked out a living off his land. That side of the family has fought in the civil war, owned slaves, and lived a stereotypical white southern existence until present day. They still live in that area, still farm, and don't own anything of any wealth to speak of in this day and age.

My mother's maternal side were also English. They came to America in the early 1800's through James Island. They had managed a sugar plantation on is island of Barbados until civil unrest caused their workers to burn the crops and family home. They felt it was time to leave and so move to America shortly thereafter. The reasons for the revolt was due to my ancestor Giles Bowers having a child with one of the native women who worked for him. Ruth Great Beach was her name, and at the time this was very scandalous.

They spread their roots throughout James and Johns Islands, intertwining with the River's family along the way (prominent John's Island family), before settling in current day Hampton, SC.

I love history and knowing the routes and struggles of those that came before us. I spent nearly a decade studying my family tree.
What happened to the reply button? Anyway, beautiful. My 8th GGF came here from Barbados, too. He was born in 1645 in Cornwall, England. My paternal ancestors were Virginia settlers and Kentucky fever people who ended up in southern Indiana.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:27 AM

I just found another Charleston family tree connection. One of my 5th great grandfathers was the first of that genealogy line to live in America, in Charleston, where he died in 1781. His people were from Germany.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,407,036 times
Your folks found my folks already living here when they arrived, before 1670.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Your folks found my folks already living here when they arrived, before 1670.
One of my 8th great grandmothers arrived here in 1670, and her husband, my 8th great grandfather, arrived in 1671. During your next seance, thank your folks for me, please.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,407,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
One of my 8th great grandmothers arrived here in 1670, and her husband, my 8th great grandfather, arrived in 1671. During your next seance, thank your folks for me, please.
I don't think they will take that as a compliment.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I don't think they will take that as a compliment.
Forgive me. I can see what you mean, even though I did mean it as one. I don’t discount the legitimacy of seances, but that part of my comment was meant very lightheartedly and jokingly. The part about thanking them was meant more seriously, assuming you mean they were Native American, in which case I meant I’m thankful for their hospitality to the newcomers of those times since they were my ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area