U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 03:27 AM

438 posts, read 129,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Monopolies do this essentially. It's hard for me to buy 20 million dollars worth of an item to compete with the big dogs.
Monopolies donít inherently have the power of government (the police and tax man) behind them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM

501 posts, read 323,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The whole thing isn't true, but the red part bears a source.
Has the free market resulted in extreme income inequality, or is everyone prospering?

Has the free market solved world hunger, brought fresh water everywhere, eliminated disease, etc?

No, the free market, left to run wild, has only resulted in a select few reaping all of the benefits.

It's funny that some of the people who decry government intervention, seem to have no issue with it when it suits their purpose.

I would imagine that the residents of Folly agree with their elected leaders. If not, they can vote them out.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 AM

585 posts, read 450,853 times
Quote:
The whole thing isn't true, but the red part bears a source.
Duh, the government has the best interest of the people in mind. See Venezuela

Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Duh, the government has the best interest of the people in mind. See Venezuela
There is always a middle ground. No one is advocating for complete control. These silly Trumpian talking points do not help the discussion, they just show complete ignorance.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 AM

585 posts, read 450,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
There is always a middle ground. No one is advocating for complete control. These silly Trumpian talking points do not help the discussion, they just show complete ignorance.
So does your idiotic comments about markets.

1) The number of people living in extreme poverty worldwide declined by 80 percent from 1970 to 2006. People living on a dollar a day or less dramatically fell from 26.8 percent of the global population in 1970 to 5.4 percent in 2006 Ė an 80 percent decline.

2) Mortality rates for children under the age of five declined by 49 percent from 1990 to 2013. This is according to World Health Organization (WHO) data, a decline termed "faster than ever."

Because of capitalism.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,915,073 times
While I agree that the government needs to set the market boundaries, I'm not sure banning all but locally owned business constitutes a "middle ground".

Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
While I agree that the government needs to set the market boundaries, I'm not sure banning all but locally owned business constitutes a "middle ground".

I'll agree with you that this ban might be a bit over the top. However, the ban is not on all chains, just those over a certain number of locations/stores. So a local "chain" would still be allowed, as long as it wasn't a big one.

We have height ordinances here, partially to preserve the character of this area. This ban is no different.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:06 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,915,073 times
I still feel it's well beyond a middle ground.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,416,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Has the free market resulted in extreme income inequality, or is everyone prospering?

Has the free market solved world hunger, brought fresh water everywhere, eliminated disease, etc?

No, the free market, left to run wild, has only resulted in a select few reaping all of the benefits.

It's funny that some of the people who decry government intervention, seem to have no issue with it when it suits their purpose.

I would imagine that the residents of Folly agree with their elected leaders. If not, they can vote them out.
Those with extreme wealth contribute to making the world a much better place. (See Gates and Buffet.) And yes, world hunger is diminishing dramatically, as is the availability of clean water. Again, paid for by the extremely wealthy.

As a Libertarian, I don't want more government involvement.

Folly Beach residents can certainly do that, but remember, those chains hire a lot of people.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 10-11-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Those with extreme wealth contribute to making the world a much better place. (See Gates and Buffet.) And yes, world hunger is diminishing dramatically, as is the availability of clean water. Again, paid for by the extremely wealthy.

As a Libertarian, I don't want more government involvement.

Folly Beach residents can certainly do that, but remember, those chains hire a lot of people.
These arguments are ridiculous. Gates and Buffet do a lot of good, no doubt. Doesn't change the bottom line that rich people get rich off the backs of the poor. (like China/Bangladesh, central America, sweatshops). And big corporations get rich by paying crap wages, so the government has to subsidize with welfare.

As a Libertarian, do you agree that women should have complete control over their bodies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area