U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times

Advertisements

There’s not a lot a city can do to directly make people think differently, but they can help prevent discrimination based on something so many claim they don’t care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:38 AM

239 posts, read 87,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thanks my conservative Brother, I feel the same, and you have a good way to deal with the decay of society...
Lmao, the decay? Steve Jobs, Jane Addams, Francis Bacon, Drew Barrymore, Clay Aiken, David Bowie, Tim Cook, Julius Caesar, Anderson Cooper, not to let mention a slew of others who have had a profound affect on American culture and, had history not gone right, could have even meant no American Society itself. Celebrating the contribution and achievements of LGBT+ people isn’t contributing to the “decay of society” no more than is celebrating black culture, Hispanic culture, female culture, or any other culture for that matter. The only thing leading to the decay of society is believing an individual is lesser than what they are meant to be because of their race, gender, or sexual orientation and them giving up all hope that what they do as a person matters. That they might be to ashamed of who they are to do something revolutionary. That’s what the leading cause of decay in our society is, bigotry and hate.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:29 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,383,833 times
Obviously, there are limits to the "right direction " described.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Some still have to be macho about it. And it seems it’s the last thing it’s okay to be bigoted about. Being LGBTQ and Christian aren’t mutually exclusive. Clemson’s right up the road with a score of 0.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM

1,988 posts, read 1,970,606 times
I fail to see how such things effect people who are straight. And I'm not so petty as to be against them for the sake of being against them so I guess that's great?

There are more important things to worry about and getting up in arms to prevent such things is a waste of effort.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,416,928 times
The Bible tells me to love everyone. So I do.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 AM

This is basically about local protections against being fired for being LGBTQ, about local protections against being evicted from housing for being LGBTQ, and about not having local authorities ignore the need to help protect LGBTQ people from hate crimes. Who can be against those protections for human beings who are not in the sexual or gender-based mainstream? Cities are meant to be diverse.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,915,073 times
Not to be difficult Charlestondata, but aren't there already laws concerning sexual orientation as a protected class? Why would any additional local protections be necessary?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM

2,810 posts, read 2,803,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The Bible tells me to love everyone. So I do.
Me too. Does not mean we condone the behavior if we believe it is wrong. I am no better than a gay person, I have my vices. I believe being gay is unnatural, but I don't curse or mistreat gay people. I just don't agree with them. When we have the gay pride parades we should have a drug addict's parade too, because both are wrong. Why march with a parade showing something that is wrong trying to make it draw attention. I simply don't like the gay people (as well as the transgender people) always wanting special treatment and wanting attention drawn to them. If I was gay I would keep quiet about it!!

Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Not to be difficult Charlestondata, but aren't there already laws concerning sexual orientation as a protected class? Why would any additional local protections be necessary?
In South Carolina you can still be fired for being gay. There is no law on the books preventing it. And there is no recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area