Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,418 times

Advertisements

Potential to moving to the Charleston area for work. Territory would primarily be in Charleston but some of Columbia as well. To those that live in Summerville, do you live there and work in Charleston? Is the commute ok? Realistically how long is the drive from Summerville into Charleston. My wife and I (3 kids) would want to be close enough to the beaches to just get in the car and drive, same for a nice night out in Charleston, etc..... Reason for thinking about Summerville is just to be kind of in between Columbia and Charleston (closer to Charleston). Interested to hear what those that live in Summerville and work in Charleston think.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:18 AM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
I live in Summerville and have had to work in Charleston at times. Many, many people do it. You would not be alone! Normally, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who could make other choices, but it does make sense for you.

Drive time depends on so many factors. At 4am or 10pm: 20 minutes (and it takes me 5 minutes just to get out of my neighborhood.) At 7am: could be an hour or more. 3pm: school traffic is rough but obviously not in the summer. Would your job have flexible hours? Where in Charleston would you be going?

My son thinks nothing of driving into downtown Charleston, or to the beach (James Island mainly) just for a quick trip.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 AM

I would be servicing the hospitals of Charleston. Job is flexible. Majority of the time would be leaving around 6am to get to the hospitals. My wife and I love Charleston so wandering if maybe just moving into Mt Pleasant or somewhere would be better for us? An hour would be pretty rough just trying to get into Charleston......

Old 11-26-2019, 06:36 AM

Mt. Pleasant could be a good choice for the Charleston area (not too far up though), but a long haul to Columbia. Have you put areas you're considering into Google maps yet to get an idea of travel times at different times of day?

What price range are you thinking? Rent or buy? Are schools important?

Old 11-26-2019, 07:39 AM

School are important. I have a 7 year old, 4 year old and 5 month old. We would probably rent first but would want to rent in an area we could potentially buy so the kids wouldn't have to switch schools after a year. Price range could be anywhere from $450,000 to $550k.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Welcome to the Lowcountry.

Some CHS Hospitals also have locations in Summerville, if you are servicing the main Hospitals (MUSC, Trident, Summerville and Roper St Francis) you can perhaps plan your route to avoid Drive Time traffic. In a word....it's Horrendous.

MUSC is the big Hospital. I would suggest you look into the Legend Oaks subdivision, from there you can shoot down the Ashley River Road, a really scenic drive (just make sure you're avoiding the rush hours). Columbia is going to be a 2-hour drive to the outskirts....maybe more to get to Hospitals in town.

Schools are generally good in Summerville -- the Dorchester District 2 is the one to look for.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:52 AM

Is Legend oaks in Summerville? I've read about Carnes Crossroads, the new development in Summerville that kind of mimics Daniel Island.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Legend Oaks is a good choice for renting or buying but speaking for myself, I wouldn't want my daily route to be Ashley River Rd. It's lovely, but not the safest. This is for the OP--I know locals are familiar with the ongoing battle over improving it (I haven't kept up with the final decision, though):
https://www.live5news.com/2019/09/24...ey-river-road/

There are other routes, but they will take longer.

DD2 schools definitely if in the Summerville area.

Be aware that a Summerville address can be in Dorchester, Berkeley or Charleston county and that will affect the school assignment. Legend Oaks is definitely in DD2.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxtwin View Post
Is Legend oaks in Summerville? I've read about Carnes Crossroads, the new development in Summerville that kind of mimics Daniel Island.
Legend Oaks is Summerville, Dorchester County.

I believe Carnes Crossroads is in Berkeley County with a Summerville address, so the schools will be different. The area is beginning to build up out there. The location might be good for you although drive time to MUSC at 6am is 30-50 minutes according to Google.

I like Great Schools for researching school report cards.

Always verify which school a house is assigned to. I say "a house" because some neighborhoods are split between counties, and therefore school attendance zones.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:15 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxtwin View Post
School are important. I have a 7 year old, 4 year old and 5 month old. We would probably rent first but would want to rent in an area we could potentially buy so the kids wouldn't have to switch schools after a year. Price range could be anywhere from $450,000 to $550k.
I would make 300k be your price point and save the money and stick with summerville. A 300k house in summerville is equivalent to bout a 500k house in mt.pleasent.

If you want to be closer than i would choose mt.pleasent but if you dont mind the extra drive then summerville, goosecreek are all nice for cheaper.

With you leaving at 6am your traffic from summerville will be heavy but not stopped unless theres a wreck. If you leave at 7 then that's a different story.

Both areas have pretty good schools, so it really depends on how much you want to spend but I do suggest you come and explore all areas and neighborhoods in intrest to get an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area